Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: SSD/Marvell

Default Re: SSD/Marvell

just an update I installed latest http://www.killergaming.com/blog/201...ion-6-1-0-310/ driver/sw which appears to address some issues ..

I also looked at Antec's site, and it appears that its still stock sw

Im gonna try cold booting tomrrow w/o any more changes etc.

Have a good one!
    Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
    NZXT Hale90 (850)
    Intel Core i7 (920)
    GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
    CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti

CORSAIR Performance Pro (128 GB)
    WD Caviar Black (1TB Raid 0)

Windows 7 (SP1)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Im going to try the clean install..

Ive somewhat accounted for some of the problems, but not all. (also going to keep HD's installed)
    Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
    NZXT Hale90 (850)
    Intel Core i7 (920)
    GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
    CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti

Windows 7 (SP1)

Good Evening!

I completed the install. and followed suggested steps for installing the drivers (so much so that I almost forgot sound drivers) but I did neglect to turn off Win restore. oops

The plan is to install ET, Precision, and possibly make a few more changes ie. turn off Sys restore.

But I wanted to know specific settings for OC, before actually proceding if possible: ex. If possible Id like the system to only speed up as needed ie. gaming (Now when I first built the system, it wasnt stable, and I believe disabling S3, S6, S7 in bios helped) I froget really

Basically Id like to know, should I have S3 disabled in bios (along w any other changes) and especially suggested power scheme settings in Windows I wanna say setting to high performance alleviated stability errors, but at the same time its confusing to see CPU min at 100%. (In other words, System appears stable, and I havnt a clue why/what caused issues in past)

Now if you already know some ram/systems do not perform well (stable ie BSOD) w/o a constant OC, it might be nice to know suggested settings for that route instead.

In other words, w/o actually increasing (OC), what would be correct settings to make I will be reading/studying about OC, before asking for input (but Id really to know a Pro's basic input)

btw, was considering Win backup to use for restoring if needed, and turning off System restore But would I be better off installing Macrium (free version) I only have Win 7 installed w no plans for any dual-botting etc. (concern being yet another program that could cause trouble at startup)

This install I did make some changes, in reguards to startup: I only installed the Win driver for mouse, and while I installed programs like Chill software, THX, I do not have them set to start w Windows ie. currently its Nvidia, SB, Killer, and IRST at startup in "taskbar"

p.s. I havnt really searched for any error's, but I suspect Event ID 10 is being logged. I also havnt installed AV yet either, just to see how System performs. Which reminds me, should I have halt on all error's but KB selected in BIOS (In the past, it appears issues start @ Win loading screen, so would this setting even effect startup? Or is that the right setting to use period.

Once again Thank you too all for assistance/guidance!!
    Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
    NZXT Hale90 (850)
    Intel Core i7 (920)
    GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
    CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti

Windows 7 (SP1)

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperbag View Post
    Im going to try the clean install..

Ive somewhat accounted for some of the problems, but not all. (also going to keep HD's installed)
    So, what did you mean by you accounted for the problems? What was causing what?

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperbag View Post
    Good Evening!

I completed the install. and followed suggested steps for installing the drivers (so much so that I almost forgot sound drivers) but I did neglect to turn off Win restore. oops

The plan is to install ET, Precision, and possibly make a few more changes ie. turn off Sys restore.

But I wanted to know specific settings for OC, before actually proceding if possible: ex. If possible Id like the system to only speed up as needed ie. gaming (Now when I first built the system, it wasnt stable, and I believe disabling S3, S6, S7 in bios helped) I froget really

Basically Id like to know, should I have S3 disabled in bios (along w any other changes) and especially suggested power scheme settings in Windows I wanna say setting to high performance alleviated stability errors, but at the same time its confusing to see CPU min at 100%. (In other words, System appears stable, and I havnt a clue why/what caused issues in past)

Now if you already know some ram/systems do not perform well (stable ie BSOD) w/o a constant OC, it might be nice to know suggested settings for that route instead.

In other words, w/o actually increasing (OC), what would be correct settings to make I will be reading/studying about OC, before asking for input (but Id really to know a Pro's basic input)

btw, was considering Win backup to use for restoring if needed, and turning off System restore But would I be better off installing Macrium (free version) I only have Win 7 installed w no plans for any dual-botting etc. (concern being yet another program that could cause trouble at startup)

This install I did make some changes, in reguards to startup: I only installed the Win driver for mouse, and while I installed programs like Chill software, THX, I do not have them set to start w Windows ie. currently its Nvidia, SB, Killer, and IRST at startup in "taskbar"

p.s. I havnt really searched for any error's, but I suspect Event ID 10 is being logged. I also havnt installed AV yet either, just to see how System performs. Which reminds me, should I have halt on all error's but KB selected in BIOS (In the past, it appears issues start @ Win loading screen, so would this setting even effect startup? Or is that the right setting to use period.

Once again Thank you too all for assistance/guidance!!
    No worries on system restore, you can turn it off anytime you are ready. Then make a clean image once you have things setup and system restore disabled, then you wont have to start from scratch next time. Yes, I recommend Macrium Reflect for disk imaging instead of windows built in tools, it's free and easy to use.

S3 is Sleep state, you can set sleep to disabled if you never use it. Speedstep is EIST, C1E, and C3/C6, those are the power/speed options, that make your CPU run slower at idle. Enabling them is up to you, if you need them enabled it may make fine tuning your overclock a little bit harder, but you can do it. As for windows power, you can set that to whatever you want as well, it's tied into speedstep if enabled. If you do not use those then you can set high performance and min/max 100%, that's how I run always.

Overclocking is not a must, you can run stock if you want, all up to you.

On Event ID 10, what exact section do you find this in Event Viewer? I ask because I checked my logs to see if I could find it, and I looked in Windows Tree then System and Application, and I only find Event ID 10 in System as an VMWare log, and a Genuine Validation log in Applications. Did you see this error in some other section, or do you have the wrong ID? If you did used to see it in one of those locations, and have the correct ID, then it does not affect normal Windows 7 install as I'm not seeing it at all, see below. All other sections of the "Windows" tree I do not find Event ID 10

Not sure on the BIOS setting you mention there at the end, I mean it's up to you / user choice. I leave at default setting always, whatever that is, and never have any problems.

Never tried that image software before, hehe, to be honest never tried any. Gave this one a go to try an image though.

Nice transfer rate though, R0 array to a Kingston USB 3 stick.

Morning grab your coffee before trying to read!

I havnt looked for it (WMI error), but its in the application area. Im guessing that its related to DCOM? or my inability to create a home network (Router says No we wont be sharing files & printers) Now theres also the abilityt to test connection to "//./root/CIMV2" in the past/"currently I assume" my connection fails..

Basically to replicate the error, I would think the first step would be locking down the router. Then install either Vista or Win7 SP1 from disk, and click to create a home network <-- just a guess tbh/ I believe I did create a shares folder in the past (maybe using McAfee) I dunno really

The reason clearing and reinstalling seemed to make sence involved my video card. I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode, and tried to reinstall using sw. It skipped prompts for chossing what to install etc. and would just fail. So I used windows update, which installed an older version. I still couldnt use sw to update (w plans to click to enable "fresh install") So I used the adapator itself to find the files which worked, and again tried to re-update the drivers (*same thing fail). Oh and btw lets not forget two experts suggesting new install..

I even encounterted an interesting result from attempting to boot (comp would only boot to safe-mode) I actually was wanting to post and get back to you that I was planning to install (maybe give some time for any suggestions) she just would not start. I had just exited safe mode, maybe w some new change (dunno) but I had already placed the Win disk in the drive. I clicked restart and hit F12, but was distracted (thankfully so) and missed option boot from CD. The computer booted up. Now I had already spent time getting to this point, so I just posted and regrouped.

If your willing to provide the knowledge to OC at some point (when System appears smooth) Im actually wanting too Ideally we could get ram settings tighter along w a mild OC (I really dont care to brag about what she runs or would be too impressed) But I would enjoy stable/max game performance (almost ironic is that w client side hit detection, laggers w 200 ping get the better of me at times) I have the CO version, so imo any OC thats stable is impressive! So at some point, I should plan to disable "Speedstep is EIST, C1E, and C3/C6"?

In reguards to backup, its been said that a fresh install is a good idea after a yr (dunno if this is true w SSD) But Im thinking more along the lines of say two months down the road. Should I have Macrium installed on my Raid drive's and also using the Raid to hold the backup?

p.s. I was trying to point startup blame on specific drivers, but really it appeared imo that the video drivers in some way were to blame (user related I guess) Now if its possible for you to create the WMI error and possibly explain how its fixed w/o keeping the router available for file transfers etc. I would be overly impressed, and ever grateful Or just share your thoughts on what I could do after enabling a home network (which I believe is currently stopped by router) It would seem once I clicked to enable it, that the error would return, when Router is set back to normal (again I do not have another Win 7 machine) Im also somewhat certain that if I connect my printer to my router, that both computers would have access

Heres an older link involving Event ID 10 Event ID 10 error every boot At one point, I really believed that it was the cause of BSOD, etc. and in all honesty it could be in a sence, But theres numerous posts in reguards to the error and some MS Wiz kids have saids its okay to igonore too. That post started in Oct 08 w Vista, and still seeing responces to May of last yr w Win 7 (I do believe the error can be misinterpeted by the System) But we all know what people say about opinions. In other words I cant really provide facts, and dont want to mislead anyone (especially you!) Obviously connecting a straight connection to net is somewhat an option, but I would hope that my files wouldnt be allowed for sharing! In other words, if you do get the error reproduced, I believe it goes away while connected w direct connection to the net (guess what, you may see a different error) Now that Ive finished responding, Im thinking I could have changed a step ie. direct connection when making initial connection (dunno) Obviously you have peeked my interest back to the error. LOL

Im sorry for such a long post w alotta , but I hope I answered your question!
    Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
    NZXT Hale90 (850)
    Intel Core i7 (920)
    GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
    CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti

Windows 7 (SP1)

Okay yet another update Im not sure how well this changes things ie. Win 7 supposedly only shares w other Win 7 computers But it appears if you use the "work" settings that you can "share" So anyway I changed settings from Home to Work, and when I clicked "view devices on network" and an option similiar to download allowed me to enable sharing.

Im not sure if I want to check for error's right now really But do you have any thoughts on changing from Home Network to Work?

/Edit I found this info, while trying to understand the setting WINS on my router (thought process was if I set the IP to my Win 7 System, that it might allow the "//./root/CIMV2" connection)
    /End Edit

p.s. Im still not so sure my Router will want to share files lol
    Last edited by Zipperbag; 04-04-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: note on WINS
    Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
    NZXT Hale90 (850)
    Intel Core i7 (920)
    GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
    CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti

Windows 7 (SP1)

Ya, that error could all be due to you not being able to setup the network properly, and there's no way I could replicate that without your same router and same failing settings. You should be able to setup a network manually anytime you want, between XP, Vista, Windows 7, ect, just disable/delete "Homegroup" and create your network connections the same way you would in XP. As for the router, that shouldn't be causing any issues unless you accidentally changed something that blocks your other computers via it's internal firewall or something. if you think you may have changed something incorrectly in your router, reset it or flash it's firmware to the same or newer version and that should reset all the settings.

Windows update would be the cause of graphics install driver issues! Do not use windows updates for graphics drivers, download only from the Gigabyte web page for your board, or AMD/Nvidia directly.

I can help ya with your overclock once you are ready! And if you have a good cooler, 4Ghz should be no problem, even if you have a C0 CPU (I have two, no problems). And yes, I would disable C1E, EIST, and C3/C6 for overclocking, but it's up to you. You can try to OC first with them disabled, and then try to enable later, or you can disable first and then OC and see how it goes.

Clean install every once in a while is good, shouldn't be needed every two months though. Install macrium on your main system, then backup images to a secondary drive for storage

I might be able to help with the router, but I think you should reset it as I mentioned, as it shouldn't be causing network issues at all with default settings. And yes, if you have a printer that you can connect directly to the router or switch, then it should be available to all connected computers.

As for your last post, see above, windows 7 can share with any other windows just fine! They try to sell the Homegroup as the only way, and it is often the point of failure between Win7 and XP systems, or even other win7 systems. Don't use homegroup and connect to your networked devices like you normally would in XP and you'll probably get it all sorted out much faster. I do not use homegroup at all, and can connect to 3 XP systems in my house, 2 Vista's, and another Win7 machine, all with no issues at all.

I have used public and private, for the windows 7 network type, not sure on work? But you want home if you are home, and trying to view other PC's and allow others to view your PC. Although it looks like Work would be the same too

Not sure at all what you mean about /root./CIMV2? What is that about? Sounds like you are messing around in the router too much, reset it and start fresh without messing with the router (Aside from setting your passwords and security type)

Hey!

I meant if System works fine for two months, and it fails for some reason, Id much rather piece/patch things up. If it works fine for say a yr, Im thinkin it might be time to reconsider options

While I decided to take a peak for error's I only logged off earlier (no sleep or shutdown), but when I clicked to log on, I have alot of "circular kernel context logger failed to start" Now I believe this is related to hibernation (dunno) |I have C3 disabled in bios, and currently Power scheme is set to Custom ie. hybrid sleep and not able to hibernate|

Im sorry for confusion in reguards to WMI (think its fixed currently) so its kinda hard to explain But at the bottom of Computer Management, should be Services and Apllications. If you click to expand, Im hoping youll see Services and aslo WMI control

If you hilight/select WMI control, and look to the far right panel, it should list WMI Control>More Actions Ideally you will click More Actions, and select properties (which is I believe a request to log in per say) Im assuming, that if this does not auto connect, then you will get prompt to connect to "//./root/CIMV2" which is to say your System (Im thinkin its a default name for computer)

My appologies for not providing enough info earlier in reguards to any troubleshooting (before I did clean install, disk was @ 14% fragmented) I know that fragmented doesnt matter w SSD, but opening up such loacations had caused fragmenatation on normal HD's

Im pretty sure Router appears to be setup properly (Ive read quite a bit of the help files, and searched some on the Net) If its possible to make it stronger/less vulnerable, Im not aware of how too.. But I might reconsider based on any errors too

It looks like Im going to clean logs, and try a reboot. I havnt a clue how to fix the circuliar log error (I do not want S3 enabled in bios, nor have the wrong power scheme) Im going to try powercfg h off at command prompt and reboot. (theres also a Win logon which hopefully corresponds to the hibernation error) But then again, its not showing as a service failed too
    Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
    NZXT Hale90 (850)
    Intel Core i7 (920)
    GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
    CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti

Windows 7 (SP1)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information