Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD/Marvell

Default SSD/Marvell

Hey Guys,

Im using the Gigabyte G1.Guerrilla (Intel® X58+ ICH10R) Im currently running stock bios w raid consisiting of two 1GB WD HD's (SATA 2). I have finally purchased an SSD (Marvell 88SS9174 controller)..

Sooo... Id like some input on best practices to follow for stability/performance relating to using the Marvell 88SE9182 chip w SSD?

I had already planned to go into bios and disable the current array (uninstall both drives) and install the SSD w OS. Intentions being to later install one HD for making a backup, and another for programs (possibly page file etc.) Should I still install the F2 bios version or even F4D (latest Beta)?

The SSD supports Trim & has built-in garbage collection (afaik Trim wont work w 9182, but the GC should work right?)

All advice/guidance appreciated

Chike is online now Senior Member

Default Re: SSD/Marvell

Why would you put the page file on a hard-drive?
    You don;t want page file at all and if you must have one you want is to be as fast as possible

I seem to recall seeing an error in the past, something about w/o page file, that some log isnt written etc. I really dont claim to know the answer's, which is why Im posting. I thought I had read that scratch disks for some programs will write faster via HD Raid 0.(but I believe Im not going to use the HD's in Raid)

I have to get some sleep now, but really Id just like to know any steps/precautions for a succeful install/upgrade to SSD (It appears, Ive learned now to disable paging file!)I understand that some suggest not using the Sata 3 port (which was a big selling point for me), but Id like to avoid any other issues w responces like " the problem is, you should have...."

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The Marvell ports on that board are actually pretty good, much better than the older X58 Marvell controllers. Your bard has 9182 x2 PCIE, older models have 9128 x1 PCIE

See my review of the X58A-OC linked in my signature, it has the same Marvell controller as your board, and I compare that controller with the older 9128 controller

thanx for the feedback! your review points out that the controller has its own "bios" The latest Mobo beta update, mentions compatibility (must be updating both mobo bios and the controller)which is a mute point w/o the hd's being used in raid right?

My rig is used for gaming almost exclusively, and I would like to know recommened setup w available drives. ( I normally play one specific, so extra programs could be like anti-virus?) The AV is kinda an issue to me, because I believe its a program that likes to be installed on the boot drive. Im thinkin w constant (near daily updates) this is a program not usually installed on an SSD.

I can provide more info if needed, but I dont really know what else to say. My CPU is stock, but its watercooled (Id much rather spend time tigtening ram latency) but OC potential does exist. The web is full of what Im thinkin is outdated info in reguards to proper setup of SSD (I believe Win7 disables things like Defrag automatically) So can someone share the best setup scenario, and possibly some links w current info.

p.s. My Win7 disk is OEM w SP1 if thats any concern

Anytime! Yes, the motherboard BIOS contains the Marvell BIOS, when you update the board BIOS and load optimized, you can also set the Marvell firmware to force mode, this will update the Marvell BIOS to the latest Marvell BIOS contained within the motherboard BIOS. No, the BIOS and controller programming is used anytime you are using those ports, unless you set it to bypass, so you would want it updated even if you are not using RAID.

If you want to use the Marvell for your SSD you should be fine, then put your other drives on the first two Intel ports with CD/DVD on the last Intel port. Anti-Virus, that's all up to you really? I use Eset products myself, specifically Eset Smart Security as it's anti-virus, spyware, ect and firewall all in one. YOu can install anything you want on the SSD as long as you have room, worrying about fairly writes and such was only really important on old first gen SSD's, today's SSD's have a much higher life expectancy and handle wear and tear much better, so worrying about things like that and tweaks and such are not needed at all anymore.

All you need to do with SSD's now, is disable defrag for the SSD, which windows usually does automatically. And then move pagefile if you want, I don't, it's up to you. And then to have more space, you can disable sleep/hibernation if you want, all other tweaks you find are really outdated as you mentioned (Some may still apply as optional, but not required or anything you need to do or worry about unless you want to)

What? Water cooling, but stock CPU Speeds? What happened there? And your wallet told me it's mad, as well as your CPU said it needs to go faster now because it's so cool!

Win 7 SP1 OEM = No problem there

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Windows 7 is SSD-aware so usually there is not much you NEED to do. All 3 of my machines are running SSD's and so far Windows has turned off defrag (and I notice even freebie programs like IO's Smart Defrag grey out the SSD).
    About all I do is turn off indexing since there's really not much need for it on an SSD, IMO.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Anytime! Yes, the motherboard BIOS contains the Marvell BIOS, when you update the board BIOS and load optimized, you can also set the Marvell firmware to force mode, this will update the Marvell BIOS to the latest Marvell BIOS contained within the motherboard BIOS. No, the BIOS and controller programming is used anytime you are using those ports, unless you set it to bypass, so you would want it updated even if you are not using RAID.

It appears that I should update (because even SSD only, Id still need CD-rom drive) So could you explain steps in more (dumbed down) basic way? Id like to use Q Flash method (not really sure of size?) the D/L is like one mb, but the confusing part is "set to force mode". I know were talking outside of the OS, but just wanted to point out that I do not have the driver loaded for the Marvell controller. Ive also read to disable hyperthreading, but I believe I currently have turbo disbaled also, so maybe I should 1) load deafaults 2) save and exit 3) turn off hyper threading 4) save and exit

During troubleshooting in the past I wanna say things like C1E among other things is set to disable, which I believe Ive since read disables turbo (my appologies if Im confused, or confusing little tired) Basically the step to choose load defaults will make for correct settings for updating?

Im pretty sure I have learned one of the problems I created in the past.. I believe Ive used the power button to shutdown and restart in bios to make changes ie. Im taking it that when I select save and exit that the machine reboots (and/ or is that more based on change that is made) Also will recieve any special prompts like "Do I want to enable disk cache?" Ive tried to study up some since posting and tbh I dont recall ever hearing of such a prompt while taking courses

If you want to use the Marvell for your SSD you should be fine, then put your other drives on the first two Intel ports with CD/DVD on the last Intel port. Anti-Virus, that's all up to you really? I use Eset products myself, specifically Eset Smart Security as it's anti-virus, spyware, ect and firewall all in one. YOu can install anything you want on the SSD as long as you have room, worrying about fairly writes and such was only really important on old first gen SSD's, today's SSD's have a much higher life expectancy and handle wear and tear much better, so worrying about things like that and tweaks and such are not needed at all anymore.
    to
    thank you for the port info! I sorta knew the ports to use, but I can over-think things and use some logic like while my bios will want to use port zero for boot (so ill just not use it)

All you need to do with SSD's now, is disable defrag for the SSD, which windows usually does automatically. And then move pagefile if you want, I don't, it's up to you. And then to have more space, you can disable sleep/hibernation if you want, all other tweaks you find are really outdated as you mentioned (Some may still apply as optional, but not required or anything you need to do or worry about unless you want to)

What? Water cooling, but stock CPU Speeds? What happened there? And your wallet told me it's mad, as well as your CPU said it needs to go faster now because it's so cool!

I could probably bore you to tears explaining why system is stock (techinically its OC because ram is 1600) but I had issues like Bluescreen tryin to install Win7.<-- user error I also seen a pic on GB website that showed a hotspot on Mobo, which is kinda like a two edged sword (better air-cooled would leave little to no room for side fan) In all honesty, Im pretty sure shes gonna be cranked up soon enough.

Win 7 SP1 OEM = No problem there
    I know this isnt related to GB, but it sounds like you know a bit about water coolers. It appears the Antec 920 (reviewed by TT!) will remember the last settings, so I shouldnt see any issues w having the USB disconnected while installing Windows? On a side note, do you know the correct setting for the CPU fan header while using the 920 (I wanna say that I have it set too off, does that sound right) I seem to recall having trouble understanding the terminolgy used by the install documentation, but the chill software performs as expected too!

P.S. I just wanted to say thank you too all who have read, and especially reply'd! ie. indexing will be off! thanx boondocks

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperbag View Post
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]It appears that I should update (because even SSD only, Id still need CD-rom drive) So could you explain steps in more (dumbed down) basic way? Id like to use Q Flash method (not really sure of size?) the D/L is like one mb, but the confusing part is "set to force mode". I know were talking outside of the OS, but just wanted to point out that I do not have the driver loaded for the Marvell controller. Ive also read to disable hyperthreading, but I believe I currently have turbo disbaled also, so maybe I should 1) load deafaults 2) save and exit 3) turn off hyper threading 4) save and exit

During troubleshooting in the past I wanna say things like C1E among other things is set to disable, which I believe Ive since read disables turbo (my appologies if Im confused, or confusing little tired) Basically the step to choose load defaults will make for correct settings for updating?

Im pretty sure I have learned one of the problems I created in the past.. I believe Ive used the power button to shutdown and restart in bios to make changes ie. Im taking it that when I select save and exit that the machine reboots (and/ or is that more based on change that is made) Also will recieve any special prompts like "Do I want to enable disk cache?" Ive tried to study up some since posting and tbh I dont recall ever hearing of such a prompt while taking courses
    Download the BIOS, then extract it ("double click - Run" it if you don't have 7zp or winrar installed). That will extract the actual BIOS file you need for Qflash. Then put that on USB and reboot to Qflash to flash the BIOS. Please read this guide on flashing, so you'll know what all BIOS settings you may need to set to use Qflash with USB
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

You want hyperthreading left on! And leave Turbo on as well, until you get into overclocking, then you might want to disable it to use a constant locked CPU multi.

As for the forced Marvell setting. It's a setting in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, towards the bottom, called SATA3 Firmware Selection, set that to Force after you've flashed and loaded optimized and rebooted back to the BIOS. This will flash the Marvell firmware on your next save/reboot and it happens right before windows on the IRQ screen. Then next time you are in this BIOS this setting will be back to auto or onchip, this is normal and how it works as you only need to force flash it that one time to get it updated.

You can leave EIST, C1E, ect enabled if you want, or disabled if you want, it's up to you. Enabled will allow your CPU voltage and multiplier to go up and down with load, disabled will keep everything running at a constant value.

When you update a BIOS, you want to enter the BIOS after flashing, load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS. Then once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings needed for windows, then memory voltage and any other changes you want to make, then save/apply/reboot again to windows.

Ya, don't use the power button (Or reset) to force shutting down from the BIOS, always save/apply (F10) otherwise you wont be saving the changes you make.

Sorry to hear you had issues installing windows, it was probably just due to incorrect settings! Don't let that scare you away from overclocking, once you get overclocked and tweak things until you are stable you'll be good to go!

I only use custom built water setups, and advise that as well if you are up for it, if not grab whatever you've decided is the best OEM water kit and you'll be set. I disable fan fail warnings in the BIOS for CPU header, and disable fan control on it as well when using water cooling.

I'm not sure what you are asking about installing windows with USB disconnected there at the end? If you use windows search a lot, and email clients, you will want to leave indexing/windows search enabled, otherwise you wont be able to search through your emails properly. If you use webmail then you can disable as you mentioned!

LOL I had questions about USB too, but I didnt recall typin anything about it But no I was referrin to the USB attached to the 920 or maybe I should say attached to the onboard USB hub. Im thinkin since you mention real water-cooling, that you might not know as much about the imitation stuff Basically the unit is controlled via the USB. The steps to install the cooling unit is to first install the software, and then connect the USB (concern being maybe it runs full bore, or something worse like pump doesnt run) Im thinkin it should be fine, but when I first installed (I just set it all up and then installed the software) but I also had issues ie. bluescreen installing OS (ram setting's, maybe even my gaming mouse freezn up) Im not sure what all was/went wrong, but it took a couple attempts to install. (anyone else reading this, No the mouse freezing has nothing to do w Mobo.) Should I be okay installing OS w/o a mouse hooked up?

Im thinkin I got this! The only hurdle that Id like to hear your thoughts on, is in reguards to the current Raid. I understand how to proceed with intent to keeping the current setup, But Id like to remove the drives and install the SSD alone, followed by the OS (install chipset, drivers) then reinstall the non raid HD's. Do you have any input on avoiding the task of resetting CMOS and or best practice's ie. format both drives at startup in Disk Management (Im gonna check your link word for word on using the QFlash tomorrow, but maybe some knowledge to be gained from following it to a tee) ie. bring the Raid back online, insuring all appears to load/start correctly?

p.s. If you have a link for recommened settings for installing WIndows, it would be much appreciated. (perhaps input on which drivers/programs to install via CD) Thank you!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information