Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help overclock please GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: help overclock please GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0)

Anytime!

Ahh, thanks, that explains the XMP then! 2T is not needed, but you can set it if you want

Quick Update:
    Another day and night of testing and the only way I can get it to work is with the following settings:
    9-10-9-27, but at the cost of CPU Vcore 1.4V, QPI/Vtt 1.475, IOH Core 1.26V, 4GHz (160x25), QPI x36,Uncore x24, Mem SPD x12. It will pass IB test but almost hitting 100C.
    I decided to call Corsair tech support and they told me that there are 2 possibilities: bad memory (even passing MemTest) or bad mem controller.
    They will send me new sticks and they will test them first; he said it has to get to 2000C9 with XMP on the stock settings with i7 975ee and most likely I have bad sticks...
    I will by using my good old ADATA gaming series sticks at 1600 for now :)
    I will update this thread after receiving new units from Corsair. If anyone would still have some ideas - please share them as I am still willing and happy to try it all out.
    Thanks all for your help!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see they are willing to ship you new tested memory! But keep in mind what I said, no matter what they say, not all CPU's under 970 can easily do 4Ghz uncore and be stable (without using high voltages). So it may just be your CPU isn't one that likes to run memory/Uncore that high, it doesn't mean your CPU is bad or anything, it just means it's not one of the stronger ones is all.

Most of the CPU's I used under 980X were voltage hogs too, so don't feel bad about it. Check out all the memory reviews in my signature, and you'll see how high I had to run voltages on my 965 (And W3520) to run 2000Mhz memory, usually 1.5-1.6V!!

Since you're hitting 100C at those voltages, you should look into a new cooler no matter what you decide to do memory-wise.

You are probably right. Their point is that with my setup it should work XMP 2000 with stock settings no problem.
    We will see...

Thanks much for your help and advice!

Chike is offline Senior Member

2000 at stock settings? I don't think it's possible. What is the highest memory multiplier you have?

Greggy, the key challenge here is running the CPU AND Memory at such high frequencies. I played around with just about every premium brand socket 1366 motherboard except for Gigabyte's offerings. None of them, not Asus, not MSI and not even the lowly little ASRock x58 Extreme would run at 4.00Ghz and DDR3 2000 speeds without pumping a ton of voltage into both the cpu core and imc. And I ran the gamut of socket LGA1366 processors too (except for the extreme editions).

In the end I decided it made more sense to have 12Gb of stable RAM running at DDR3 1750Mhz and tight timings than it did trying to run my RAM super frequency fast. I admit, I made the same mistakes many others did, fast DDR3 2000 hit the market and I was like "wow I need some of that". Little did I know when I shelled out that hard earned cash (and it was a bunch at that time) that I had made a silly error in judgment.

Here's a good challenge. Get the motherboard running stable at a cpu frequency of say 3.6 - 3.8Ghz and memory running at DDR3 2000 speed with the specified timings. Run some latency, SuperPi and bandwidth benchmarks. Note your results. Now go back and get the motherboard running stable at a cpu frequency of 4.0Ghz, but targeting a ram frequency of say 1750 - 1820Mhz or so with tighter timings. Rerun those same benchmarks and see how little difference there is.

Then I'll just have to repeat what I've said a hundred times before, super fast ram just doesn't make that much difference in real world day to day computing on the x58 platform.

And of course the last (and arguably the worst) problem you have is your load temps. I cringed whenever my cpu cores hit 78C to 80C. That's about the max I'd recommend to anyone if you plan on keeping your gear for a while.

If you just want to hit those insane speeds/frequencies for benchmarking or to say that you did, you could disable HT for a small but measurable decrease of 4C or maybe a little more in your load temps. Personally I wouldn't run with HT permanently disabled because that's a key point of owning one of those processors - at least for me.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
    Intel i7 2700K @ 4.5Ghz
    G.Skill DDR3 16Gb @ 1866Mhz
    eVGA GTX 570 SC x2 SLi
    Crucial C300 x2 RAID0
    WD 640Gb Black x2 RAID0
    Corsair HX1000
    H20 Swiftech/XSPC

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    2000 at stock settings? I don't think it's possible. What is the highest memory multiplier you have?
    Hi Chike,

Honestly, I am not sure anymore what's possible... Tech Support tells me it should work but based on all 100+ :) of my tests - I don't think he is right, but need to give him a benefit of doubt...
    The highest mem multiplier is 18
    Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by wevsspot63 View Post
    Greggy, the key challenge here is running the CPU AND Memory at such high frequencies. I played around with just about every premium brand socket 1366 motherboard except for Gigabyte's offerings. None of them, not Asus, not MSI and not even the lowly little ASRock x58 Extreme would run at 4.00Ghz and DDR3 2000 speeds without pumping a ton of voltage into both the cpu core and imc. And I ran the gamut of socket LGA1366 processors too (except for the extreme editions).

In the end I decided it made more sense to have 12Gb of stable RAM running at DDR3 1750Mhz and tight timings than it did trying to run my RAM super frequency fast. I admit, I made the same mistakes many others did, fast DDR3 2000 hit the market and I was like "wow I need some of that". Little did I know when I shelled out that hard earned cash (and it was a bunch at that time) that I had made a silly error in judgment.

Here's a good challenge. Get the motherboard running stable at a cpu frequency of say 3.6 - 3.8Ghz and memory running at DDR3 2000 speed with the specified timings. Run some latency, SuperPi and bandwidth benchmarks. Note your results. Now go back and get the motherboard running stable at a cpu frequency of 4.0Ghz, but targeting a ram frequency of say 1750 - 1820Mhz or so with tighter timings. Rerun those same benchmarks and see how little difference there is.

Then I'll just have to repeat what I've said a hundred times before, super fast ram just doesn't make that much difference in real world day to day computing on the x58 platform.

And of course the last (and arguably the worst) problem you have is your load temps. I cringed whenever my cpu cores hit 78C to 80C. That's about the max I'd recommend to anyone if you plan on keeping your gear for a while.

If you just want to hit those insane speeds/frequencies for benchmarking or to say that you did, you could disable HT for a small but measurable decrease of 4C or maybe a little more in your load temps. Personally I wouldn't run with HT permanently disabled because that's a key point of owning one of those processors - at least for me.
    Hi wevsspot,
    I will most definitely go with your "challenge" suggestion; it all makes a lot of sense.
    I appreciate your input,
    Thanks!

youll run 12gb @1800mhz maybe 1866mhz at stock cpu clocks cos ive done it using ocz reaper ram,i needed 1.3750v qpi/vtt @8-8-8-24-1t timings with 920 d0,any higher just aint worth it imo,could run 3.8ghz @1800mhz too but with 6gb memory 1.3v qpi/vtt
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    youll run 12gb @1800mhz maybe 1866mhz at stock cpu clocks cos ive done it using ocz reaper ram,i needed 1.3750v qpi/vtt @8-8-8-24-1t timings with 920 d0,any higher just aint worth it imo,could run 3.8ghz @1800mhz too but with 6gb memory 1.3v qpi/vtt
    Yes Sir!
    I'm at 1800 12GB stock cpu at 1.375V
    Running 1866 stock with just a hair higher IOH Core.

Thanks for a good point - will experiment further with higher CPU

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information