Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: help overclock please GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: help overclock please GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0)

Quote Originally Posted by greggy101 View Post
    You are probably right. Their point is that with my setup it should work XMP 2000 with stock settings no problem.
    We will see...

Thanks much for your help and advice!
    Not going to happen, at all! I can't even believe they would tell you that! You must have called in, and their phone support must be lacking in knowledge, am I correct - you called?

Go ask this on their forum, you will very quickly get a much different answer, as soon as they see your CPU model

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    2000 at stock settings? I don't think it's possible.
    For sure, 1000% correct!

Quote Originally Posted by wevsspot63 View Post
    Greggy, the key challenge here is running the CPU AND Memory at such high frequencies.
    This doesn't matter really, the actual key to this issue, and the main reason this will never work for 90% of CPU's under 970 is this, Uncore!

Uncore is the reason 2000Mhz memory is very hard for many CPU's under 970, this means 920-975 CPU's. When you reach around 4Ghz uncore on these CPU's is where things start to get unstable, some can do 4.2-4.4 uncore easy, others are voltage hogs and will require 1.45-1.6+ to run 4Ghz uncore or above, which is 100% of the issue why many of these CPU's will struggle with any 2000Mhz kit.

143 Bclk x 14x memory = 2000Mhz memory
    143 Bclk x 24x Uncore = 4Ghz Uncore - there is no way around running uncore at 4Ghz to run 2000Mhz memory, any Bclk/Memory combo will bring uncore to 4Ghz with these CPU's

Even if you wanted to go low CPU speed and try highest memory multi it will still require high QPI/Vtt voltage, due to the uncore

111 Bclk x 18x memory = 2000Mhz memory speed
    111 Bclk x 36x Uncore = 4Ghz Uncore - you can use any CPU multi with this or any other combo, for 1Ghz-3Ghz CPU speed, and the Uncore value will still be the only limiting factor

So, high QPI/Vtt voltage will be required no matter what speed the CPU is at, due to the uncore required, this would even apply if you bring the CPU speed way under stock - it simply isn't going to matter or help! It's not impopssible, almost any CPU will do it, you just have to be willing to push voltages with many CPU's to get there. Sure, some can run 4Ghz Uncore stable with only 1.35V QPI/Vtt, and some may also run 4.5Ghz overall CPU's speed with 1.25Vcore too, but those are few and far between and are NOT the norm - at all!

Again, see any of the DDR3 reviews in my signature, and then look at the 965-EE or W3520 testing at 2000Mhz, you will see all uncore is 1.475 or above to reach stability.

Bootablility (Haha, is that a word? ) at high uncore can be had for much lower voltage often, but that's not what anyone is after here.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-21-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks for the clarification on Uncore speed and it's impact/affect on stability and amount of QPI/VTT voltage needed. When I got my first kit of G.Skill DDR3 2000 many folks tried to tell me that it would run that speed with a QPI/VTT voltage at stock or 1.325v most. That was a pile of poop advice. Required 1.45v minimum if I left cpu at stock clocks. More when I started overclocking the cpus (920/930/950).
    Last edited by wevsspot63; 03-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
    Intel i7 2700K @ 4.5Ghz
    G.Skill DDR3 16Gb @ 1866Mhz
    eVGA GTX 570 SC x2 SLi
    Crucial C300 x2 RAID0
    WD 640Gb Black x2 RAID0
    Corsair HX1000
    H20 Swiftech/XSPC

Anytime! Ya, it's ALL about Uncore when you try to run 2000Mhz memory on 920-975 CPU's!

Some CPU's can do 4Ghz uncore with only 1.3-1.4 QPI/Vtt, but not many at all can do it stable, and even less than that can do it at all (As in bootable with voltages that low). For me, on all CPU's I've ran 4Ghz uncore on including 920, 965 & W3520 x2, stability required 1.45+ and most required well above 1.45 actually. Now of course, yes there are some CPU's out there than can run 4Ghz uncore with only 1.25-1.3 QPI/Vtt, but those are very rare and few and far between, same for CPU's in that category that can run 4Ghz CPU speed with only 1.2-1.3 Vcore.

For them to suggest to this user that it should be easy for his CPU, at stock voltage no less, is terrible tech support. That's why I suggested he ask on their forum instead, where he'll deal with more knowledgeable support (I'd hope), and they would let him know exactly the same as I'm trying to tell him. It's possible, for most CPU's, but almost all CPU's will require a very high QPI/Vtt voltage.

Here, look at my post here about QPI/Vtt voltage and how memory manufacturers used to program XMP due to this. This is not necessarily about 4Ghz uncore, it's just my thoughts and some examples of manufacturers setting high QPI/Vtt voltages in their XMP's in order to run high memory speeds and or very tight timings.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post312297

Also, I just saw a thread at OCN this week about user wanting to run 2133Mhz memory on his 930 CPU, all users are reminding him of the same things I'm saying here about Uncore
    Quote Originally Posted by Blameless
    Uncore/IMC on your 930 is probably losing stability at higher clocks.

Ive had six Bloomfields, and none of them could run a 24/7 stable uncore clock in excess of 3.9GHz, and most topped out in the 3.4-3.7GHz range.

Most people running tri-channel DDR3-2000+ on Bloomfields are using stupid high QPI/VTT voltage under water. Even my golden chip needed around 1.45v QPI/VTT to bench 12GiB of DDR3 2000 with a 4GHz UCLK.
    Can't get new DDR 2133 ram past 1600mhz

Gulftown CPU's are the ones you need to run high memory speeds on 1366, due to their revised IMC's and ability to run Uncore at 1.5 x memory multi.

Hi guys!
    It seems that this site was down for a day or two?
    So, I did post in their forums (2 separate threads) - had to camouflage my questions not the get my tech support guy in trouble :) but I can't get an official answer
    from their expert guru aka The RamGuy... And since I am a very patient user - I will wait! ;)
    I will update this thread as soon as I get something from Corsair (including my new - tested sticks)
    Thanks all for your support here!
    Lsdmeasap - what would we do without you?

Haha, thanks for your kind words, we appreciate them very much!!

Na, the was only down for 2-4 hours last night I think, but that's about it.

I'm surprised no one chimed in quickly to let you know exactly what I've been saying! Maybe they know some of the phone tech's lately have been saying it should work easy with all CPU's.

They KNOW it does not, and they KNOW exactly what I've said is 1000% true!

Good luck on the new memory, but like I said, you'll either have to use massive volts to run 4Ghz uncore, or lower your ram speed and tighten the timings so you don't have to use high voltages.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information