Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS Modders Unite! Pending BIOS MOD Thread - Do U Want 2 Help?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default BIOS Modders Unite! Pending BIOS MOD Thread - Do U Want 2 Help?

Hi Guys!

We are considering creating a sticky modified BIOS thread here, and we're just curious how many of you would be willing to take part? You would need to be willing to modify BIOSes yourself, or test BIOSes for others that have been modified already but the person who did the mod is unable to fully or confidently test.

Everyone can chime in or join and help with the BIOS modifications, if they feel comfortable, but mainly right now we are trying to find someone who is willing to manage the thread. This means that user would need to be here at least once a day, or more if possible, and they would need to keep track of all posted modifications and update the main post as new BIOSes or information is added (much like Stasio's current BIOS thread). Whomever wants to do this duty would be the person we will have start the thread, so they can always edit it, however all moderators and admins on the forum will also be able to edit it so no worries if something comes up and you are unable to be here for a while or something like that.

Any type of BIOS modification is fine, if you only know how to do one thing that's OK, just let us know what you know how to do. If you know how to do all kinds of mods, great, that's even better - please apply then!

Cbrom skills are a must, hex editing is a PLUS!

johnathonm has already stated he is willing to help with some modifications. Who else is up for the task at hand?

Please only reply if you already currently know how to modify BIOSes!

Default Re: BIOS Modders Unite! Pending BIOS MOD Thread - Do U Want 2 Help?

ProfJim had the following to say, and I just wanted to copy it here, and let you all know that these details will be taken care of later once we get the thread going.

This thread is mainly so we can see who all is interested, and what their abilities are, ect

I hate rules and regulations, but we need some rules and regulations, such as:
    What versions have been replaced, deleted, altered, and/or modded?
    How detailed do we want the change log to be?
    What bios naming convention will be used to avoid confusion?
    What is the meaning of life? << Not sure ProfJim, but I know the answer to it all = 42!

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Count me for help. I can handle the p45/x58 bios modes
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

NoJuan999 is offline Member

I'll be more than happy to help.
    As for the Naming convention, I use this format:
    Manufacturer_Model_BIOS Version_Oroms Updated
    ASUS_Maximus_III_GENE_2103_IR11_JM28

And for the changelog I include a .txt file like this (but we should probably alos add the CBRom Version we use for a mod too):
    Manufacturer: Asus
    Model: Maximus III Gene
    Bios Type: AMI
    Bios Revision: 2103

ORoms Updated to:
    Intel RAID: 11.0.0.1339
    JMicron: 1.07.28
    Realtek PXE: 2.45

Flash from DOS with Included Flash Utility.
    I am in NO way affiliated with Gigabyte.
    If you use a BIOS I Modified, you do so at your own Risk and Assume Full Responsibilty !

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

How about including the standard (replaced) Orom versions?
    .... and the official release dates?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

NoJuan999 is offline Member

I do sometimes include the original ORom Version number, including those is a good idea.
    I don't know that I want to bother looking up the release dates of these ORoms.
    I have them all on HDD and would have to go looking online for the release dates of 20 or so ORoms.

Unless whoever Starts the Thread wants to include links and dates to all the Various Oroms.
    Last edited by NoJuan999; 03-28-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    I am in NO way affiliated with Gigabyte.
    If you use a BIOS I Modified, you do so at your own Risk and Assume Full Responsibilty !

I know this might dumb but why wouldn't you include the dates/version of the ORom's?

The thing is, often some of us may be busy, so super involved change logs may not be ideal.

And it definitely wont be ideal when trying to add each mod into the main thread. However, including a detailed change log in your download zip would be much easier, which I often do and include a original copy too.

But I really don't think we need to make it too involved, as a rule for doing it anyway, I think a simple change log with updated ROM versions included in the download should be good enough.

Of course though, that's why I made this thread, so we can get everyone's ideas on how things should be done, so keep them coming and thanks for chiming in guys!

Posting Cbrom version used is iffy to me, I'm not sure if we should mention that or not, I'd hate to see the thread start getting unacknowledged people playing around and bricking boards. What do you guys think about that concern of mine? I do however approve of teaching someone via PM if you want, but I think those users may need their mods double checked or tested somehow before posting for others, at least until they are sure of themselves.

And of course, all of the main users who decide to help could exchange info via PM on their methods or tools anytime, and I think that would be a good idea anyway so everyone modding has access to the correct tools and methods. While I would like to teach and help everyone learn, you all know it's very risky business, so I want to try and keep the thread more of a source for BIOS mods already done, rather than a learning thread to teach everyone how to try risking it themselves. Anyone wanting to learn can be sent info via PM of course, but I'd like to try and keep that out of the thread for several reasons

We'll keep this thread going for a week or so to get everyone's ideas and see who all is interested, before we decide anything or start the main thread. Thanks again to all for your feedback, keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by johnathonm View Post
    I know this might dumb but why wouldn't you include the dates/version of the ORom's?
    I personally wouldn't want to, takes too much time to track down info like that sometimes, and adds unnecessary work to modding a BIOS which should only take you a few minutes anyway.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

I like every ones ideas but like LSD said I think the thread should just be a place to post bios mod's, and keep the teaching/howto's to PM's. Also like LSD I dont think anyone and everyone should be posting bios mods unless they know what they are doing. Maybe have them summit a bios via PM to the select few doing the mods for testing before posting it.

As for the info to include with bios mod I say in the zip file include original bios, modded bios, and change log. As for the change log just the Orom name and version number should be enough. Looking for dates or change log of the Oroms would be difficult and time consuming. If by chance you do have that info and would like to share I feel that is fine. I dont think we should have to include what cbrom we used, if they need to know they can ask via PM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information