Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BIOS settings for AMD 8150 CPU, Gigabyte ga-990FXA-UD3 mobo, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ RAM

Default BIOS settings for AMD 8150 CPU, Gigabyte ga-990FXA-UD3 mobo, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ RAM

Hi, not sure if this question has been asked before, BUT I need some info on BIOS settings for title components, I built the system a couple of weeks ago everything works fine, except for the RAM speed, while booting the BIOS reports that the RAM is only 1333 MHz. I manually adjusted the memory settings in BIOS to x8.0 1600 MHz, saved and exited the BIOS, on reboot I got the following message:-
    The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking,
    The last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states,
    current CPU speed: 18.0 x 200 MHz,
    current memory speed: 1333 MHz,
    current HT speed: 2600 MHz,
    press DEL key to enter the BIOS setup
    or press any rest of keys to continue.
    if I hit DEL and head into the BIOS again to manually adjust I just keep getting the same message,
    if I hit any key to continue, I have to settle for 1333 MHz RAM speed?

Can anyone out there throw some light on what I need to do to get the RAM speed correct, I have to admit that I am almost a complete novice when it comes to messing around in BIOS.
    I am running the latest BIOS (supplied by Gigabyte) about a week ago.

Can anybody help me out?
    Last edited by Fredbare; 03-31-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: BIOS settings for AMD 8150 CPU, Gigabyte ga-990FXA-UD3 mobo, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Fredbare View Post
    Hi, not sure if this question has been asked before, BUT I need some info on BIOS settings for title components, I built the system a couple of weeks ago everything works fine, except for the RAM speed, while booting the BIOS reports that the RAM is only 1333 MHz. I manually adjusted the memory settings in BIOS to x8.0 1600 MHz, saved and exited the BIOS, on reboot I got the following message:-
    The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking,
    The last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states,
    current CPU speed: 18.0 x 200 MHz,
    current memory speed: 1333 MHz,
    current HT speed: 2600 MHz,
    press <DEL> key to enter the BIOS setup
    or press any rest of keys to continue.
    if I hit DEL and head into the BIOS again to manually adjust I just keep getting the same message,
    if I hit any key to continue, I have to settle for 1333 MHz RAM speed?

Can anyone out there throw some light on what I need to do to get the RAM speed correct, I have to admit that I am almost a complete novice when it comes to messing around in BIOS.
    I am running the latest BIOS (supplied by Gigabyte) about a week ago.

Can anybody help me out?
    Have you also changed the memory voltage and timings to match DDR-1600 specs?
    Even those may not be enough to run 16GB at DDR-1600 and other tweaks may be needed.

Please attach a CPU-Z text report to your next post. CPU-Z -> About tab -> Save Report (.TXT), then in the forum "Go Advanced" -> "Manage Attachments" and attach the file.

Also please edit your origibal post and change the < before DEL to < do fix the strike-out.

Default Re: BIOS settings for AMD 8150 CPU, Gigabyte ga-990FXA-UD3 mobo, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ RAM

And yes the same question have been asked recently. He didn't post the settings he used but you can try ask him.
    GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 Bios?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Have you also changed the memory voltage and timings to match DDR-1600 specs?
    Even those may not be enough to run 16GB at DDR-1600 and other tweaks may be needed.

Please attach a CPU-Z text report to your next post. CPU-Z -> About tab -> Save Report (.TXT), then in the forum "Go Advanced" -> "Manage Attachments" and attach the file.

Also please edit your origibal post and change the < before DEL to < do fix the strike-out.
    No I have not changed the voltages, as not sure what to change them to, do you think I might do better with only 8GB RAM?CPU_Z.txt

Less memory would be easier to run at high clocks but you should be able to do it with 16GB too.

Try the following, increase CPU NB VID Control gradually until the failure message disapear but not over 1.35v(should be much lower), for stability you may need to increase it some more.
    Code:
    Set Memory Clock	[Manual]

Memory Clock		x8.00  160Mhz

DDR3 Timing Items	[Manual] 
    1T/2T Command Timing	2/1/Auro 
    CAS# latency		9 
    RAS to CAS R/W Delay	9 
    Row Precharge Time	9 
    Minimum RAS Active Time	24 

DRAM Voltage Control	1.50/1.52v
    CPU NB VID Control	Auto <<< increase graually above default not over 1.35v

Less memory would be easier to run at high clocks but you should be able to do it with 16GB too.

Try the following, increase CPU NB VID Control gradually until the failure message disapear but not over 1.35v(should be much lower), for stability you may need to increase it some more.
    Code:
    Set Memory Clock    [Manual]

Memory Clock        x8.00  160Mhz

DDR3 Timing Items    [Manual] 
    1T/2T Command Timing    2/1/Auro 
    CAS# latency        9 
    RAS to CAS R/W Delay    9 
    Row Precharge Time    9 
    Minimum RAS Active Time    24 

DRAM Voltage Control    1.50/1.52v
    CPU NB VID Control    Auto <<< increase graually above default not over 1.35v
    Cheers Chike, that did the trick now running at 1600 MHz, I followed your settings with the exception of 1T/2T Command Timing (it was set at 2T, but did not have AUTO), the DRAM voltage control I set to 1.515. Did not need to adjust CPU NB VID Control.
    I now have only one question left to ask, do you know of any software to test system stability?
    Thank you again for your time and trouble, you are a star

Make sure that they run at the right clock speed(800) with CPU-Z.

I prefer Prime95 myself. blend toture for CPU + MB + RAM stability test.
    There are others like OCCT, LinX/IBT(Intel Burn Test) and more, check the application sticky in the forum.
    Last edited by Chike; 03-31-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Make sure that they run at the right clock speed(800) with CPU-Z.

I prefer Prime95 myself. blend toture for CPU + MB + RAM stability test.
    There are others like OCCT, LinX/IBT(Intel Burn Test) and more, check the application sticky in the forum.
    Got them running at 805.4, think I will settle for that, I've looked at prime95 and tried it (it did not look like it was doing much), but if you suggest it, I'll give it a try.

Once again thanks for your help, I would never have been able to do that on my own.

Prime96 put stress on the CPU and memory, there is nothing to see, it will fail or the system crash if its not stable.
    One thing you can see is that CPU temperatures increase during the test and will be about as high they would ever go during use. And of course the progress of tests, thats about it.
    LinX/IBT temps will be even higher.

Thread Information