Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 410 of 473 FirstFirst ... 310360400408409410411412420460 ... LastLast
Results 4,091 to 4,100 of 4722

Thread: GIGABYTE Modified Bios

geokilla is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GIGABYTE Modified Bios

Quote Originally Posted by killkernel View Post
    No, it is not necessary.

You can update your BIOS, Intel MEI firmware and IRST drivers.

If in your previous BIOS you had an older CPU micro-code (such as Rev. 12/15/17 for Ivy Bridge) you can enjoy to further optimize your OC:

- raising a little bit (100 Mhz to start) maintaining the same level of VCore,
    - keep the current frequency but you can go down a couple of steps with the VCore.

Obviously you need to do stability tests to re-certify the stability of the system.

Cheers and have a nice week-end!

KK
    Today, I updated the BIOS. Works great! Going to try and tweak my overclock if I don't get lazy. However, I couldn't update the Intel MEI firmware. It says it cannot locate the ME device driver when I run the flash program in Windows.
    Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F16 (rev 19) BIOS
    XFX 7950 Double D 3GB (TDKC); VDCC @ 1.125VDCC 1000/1500
    Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
    Corsair AX750
    Samsung 840 Pro 128GB and Western Digital Black 1TB + Misc HDD

Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
    Today, I updated the BIOS. Works great! Going to try and tweak my overclock if I don't get lazy. However, I couldn't update the Intel MEI firmware. It says it cannot locate the ME device driver when I run the flash program in Windows.
    Hello geokilla! You have to install Intel ME Drivers before trying to flash...

Intel® Management Engine Interface(MEI) Driver 10.0.30.1072 WHQL

Cheers,

KK

stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite

geokilla,
    your F16 modded BIOS has already latest ME firmware 8.1.52.xxxx......
    You can check by MEInfo (for Z77 system) in Windows.

killkernel,
    your link is pointing to 5M driver ......should be 1.5M......
    Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Version 10.0.30.1072 (1.5Mo)
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    killkernel,
    Thanks Stasio, i know it and i've installed this driver version (5MB) on my Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH and i didn't encountered any issue nor during setup nor after using the machine.

Have a nice day,

KK

geokilla,
    your F16 modded BIOS has already latest ME firmware 8.1.52.xxxx......
    You can check by MEInfo (for Z77 system) in Windows.

killkernel,
    I think Stasio and station-drivers.com may both be confused: MEI 5M vs. MEI 1.5M pertains only to the Intel MEI firmware.
    Note: ME = driver; MEI = firmware.
    The latest ME driver version 10.0.30.1072 can be used in conjunction with several different MEI firmware versions: 8x, 9x, 10x; and for any of the 3 chipset variations: Z, H & Q. That same driver does NOT work with MEI firmware versions 5x thru 7x. Not sure about mobile or X series (79X & 99X) chipsets.
    However, it should be noted: what's labeled as ME driver version 10.0.30.1072 actually shows as version 10.0.30.1054 in Windows Device Manager.
    Why Intel decided on such a confusing & counter-intuitive approach??
    The driver itself has no numerical distinction between 5M vs. 1.5M versions at all.
    In other words: there's no separate driver designed for use with 1.5M firmware, and some different driver corresponding to 5M firmware, AFAIK.

"Z" & "H" series chipsets require the 1.5M firmware, while (business-oriented) "Q" series chipsets require 5M firmware.
    Anyway: I could be wrong, but that's my current understanding of the situation.

Station-drivers.com will often post ME & MEI updates, but often fails to provide complete information pertaining to specific applicability, and sometimes adds their own faulty information. What they're labeling as MEI "driver" may actually be "firmware", and vice-versa. If the install file includes an .inf file, then it's a driver. If there's a .bin file, then it's a firmware file. But then you have to decipher what chipset the firmware is for, because telling you that would make it too easy. Or certain driver .exe installers may obfuscate from view the .inf file, I've seen in some cases for Intel device drivers.

@Stasio:
    I do appreciate your bios updates, but your willingness to share certain aspects of arcane Intel information remains somewhat lacking.
    Last edited by vailr; 11-17-2014 at 05:11 AM.

TheOne320 is offline Junior Member

^
    G1.Sniper 3 - F8n-mod

Modified with:

Intel RAID for SATA 11.6.0.1702 to 13.1.0.2126
    Intel EFI SataDriver 11.6.0.1702 to 13.1.0.2126
    Intel PCI Accelerated SVGA 2158 to 2170
    EFI GOPdriver Sandy 3.0.1023 to 3.0.1027
    EFI GOPdriver Ivy 2.0.1023 to 2.0.1024
    OROM Intel PXE 1.3.81 to 1.5.61
    EFI Intel UNDI 5.3.00 to 6.4.13
    Bigfoot PCIE Ethernet Controller 2.1.1.1 to 2.1.1.5
    Marvell 88SE91xx/92xx Adapter 1.0.0.0034
    CPU Microcode Sandy 29/Ivy 19 to Sandy 29/Ivy 1B
    ME firmware 8.1.30.1350
    Modified splash logo 2

Note:
    ME 8.1.52.1496 (Firmware) flash yourself in Windows mode.
    Hi stasio, with this beta bios I am having RPC Latency Spikes in the range of 6.5ms-20ms caused by the Intel Ethernet Adapter. After deactivating the Adapter in bios the lateceny Peaks were gone. Could you guess which of the changes causes this?

*edit*

I installed the non-modified 8n bios and am still having RPC latency spikes caused by the Intel LAN adapter. I will have to try to find out why.
    Last edited by TheOne320; 11-15-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vailr View Post
    I think Stasio and station-drivers.com may both be confused: MEI 5M vs. MEI 1.5M pertains only to the Intel MEI firmware.
    Stopped reading there, facepalm.

MEI = Management Engine Interface --> DRIVER (replaced the old HECI driver)

Just because an OEM releases a driver and names the file "ME", it doesn't mean that it's just driver or just firmware. They make naming mistakes all the time, nothing new. Normally they should release only a driver, however sometimes they accidentally upload the whole package they got from Intel which also includes firmware, tools & documentation. That's how "leaks" occur. Station-Drivers tends to upload the package as they find it which may or may not contain tools & firmware together with the (originally intended) driver-only release.

What is more likely, that you are confused or everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by vailr View Post
    The latest ME driver version 10.0.30.1072 can be used in conjunction with several different MEI firmware versions: 8x, 9x, 10x; and for any of the 3 chipset variations: Z, H & Q. That same driver does NOT work with MEI firmware versions 5x thru 7x. Not sure about mobile or X series (79X & 99X) chipsets.
    However, it should be noted: what's labeled as ME driver version 10.0.30.1072 actually shows as version 10.0.30.1054 in Windows Device Manager.
    Why Intel decided on such a confusing & counter-intuitive approach??
    The driver itself has no numerical distinction between 5M vs. 1.5M versions at all.
    In other words: there's no separate driver designed for use with 1.5M firmware, and some different driver corresponding to 5M firmware, AFAIK.

"Z" & "H" series chipsets require the 1.5M firmware, while (business-oriented) "Q" series chipsets require 5M firmware.
    Anyway: I could be wrong, but that's my current understanding of the situation.

Station-drivers.com will often post ME & MEI updates, but often fails to provide complete information pertaining to specific applicability, and sometimes adds their own faulty information. What they're labeling as MEI "driver" may actually be "firmware", and vice-versa. If the install file includes an .inf file, then it's a driver. If there's a .bin file, then it's a firmware file. But then you have to decipher what chipset the firmware is for, because telling you that would make it too easy. Or certain driver .exe installers may obfuscate from view the .inf file, I've seen in some cases for Intel device drivers.

@Stasio:
    I do appreciate your bios updates, but your willingness to share certain aspects of arcane Intel information remains somewhat lacking.
    Hello vailr, things are quite clear and there aren't mislabelling : Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools or here (backup temporary) http://www.win-raid.com/t171f39-ME-B...Temporary.html
    Hope this will help you to clarify every doubts or thoughts about this topic.

Cheers,

KK
    Last edited by killkernel; 11-18-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plutomaniac View Post
    Stopped reading there, facepalm.

MEI = Management Engine Interface --> DRIVER (replaced the old HECI driver)

Just because an OEM releases a driver and names the file "ME", it doesn't mean that it's just driver or just firmware. They make naming mistakes all the time, nothing new. Normally they should release only a driver, however sometimes they accidentally upload the whole package they got from Intel which also includes firmware, tools & documentation. That's how "leaks" occur. Station-Drivers tends to upload the package as they find it which may or may not contain tools & firmware together with the (originally intended) driver-only release.

What is more likely, that you are confused or everyone else?
    You may be correct, but: exactly how do these "leaks" occur? What is the chain of custody? Are Intel servers being accessed illegally? Why is it that there's seldom any accompanying documentation pertaining to ME/MEI? They could at least say: "I found this file at this IP address", or something.
    Station-drivers needs to improve their methodology. And as far as ME/MEI specifically: their best policy would seem to be: to not publish such undocumented MEI firmware "leakages" at all, and publicly recommend reliance on what the official manufacturer bios releases provide. Or at the least: only pass on "leaks" that include some kind of minimal documentation: "this firmware is for these specific chipsets: X, Y & Z" type of description. For MEI drivers: "this driver is for use with these specific chipset type of motherboards: A, B, & C". Or even simply: "We found these files at an undisclosed IP address. We don't know anything more than what you see inside the compressed file. Our best guess is that this firmware is designed for unreleased mobile chipsets with code names "Tamarand" & "Bluefield" (or whatever)". But simply passing on for public consumption, items that they know they don't know anything about is bad policy.
    If they have to write their own text file as their own kind of documentation, then go ahead and do that. If they need to then translate from French to English or other languages, then go ahead and do that.
    But they should not, in my opinion, be publishing on their web site such completely undocumented files.

Stasio likes to post there practically on a daily basis, but never wants to help correct that web site's (what I consider as) bad behavior.
    Last edited by vailr; 11-18-2014 at 02:14 AM.

@ killkernel: your linked page states:
    >Intel ME9.5 Consumer Firmware Update v9.5.40.1892< (>MIRROR<)
    Note: This Firmware Update is only suitable for Intel ME 9.5 (Intel 8/9-Series Chipsets) Consumer 1.5MB systems (Intel Lynx Point chipset for Haswell-ULT CPU, Mobile and NUC). Thanks to Pacman and Station-Drivers for the source file.
    >Intel ME9.1 Consumer Firmware Update v9.1.10.1005< (>MIRROR<)
    Note: This Firmware Update is only suitable for Intel ME9 1.5MB Desktop systems with an Intel 9-Series Chipset (Desktop Z97, X99, Q97, Q95, H97, B95, H91, Mobile QM97, HM97, HM96 and 9-Series Workstations). Thanks to Pacman and Station-Drivers for the source files.
    >Intel ME9.0 Consumer Firmware Update v9.0.31.1487< (>MIRROR<)
    Note: This Firmware Update is only suitable for Intel ME9 1.5MB Desktop systems with an Intel 8-Series Chipset (Desktop Z87, Q87, Q85, H87, B85, H81, Mobile QM87, HM87, HM86 and Workstation C226). Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source files and ex58 for the compatibility details.

Which contradicts what Stasio posted earlier in this thread, where he says to use firmware v9.0.31.1487 with Z87 boards. Can firmware v9.5.40.1892 instead be used? "Intel 8/9-Series Chipsets" does include the Z87 boards, correct?

By the way: Version: 5.2.0.1002 (Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 4 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards)
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=2979
    Last edited by vailr; 11-18-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Thread Information