Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-Z77X-UD5H and unable to detect GPT/EFI drive after reboot

Default GA-Z77X-UD5H and unable to detect GPT/EFI drive after reboot

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and the motherboard. I upgraded my motherboard yesterday from F4 to F5 and ever since I did the upgrade the motherboard is having issues detecting the GPT/EFI boot drive. So I upgraded the bios to F8a which was successful and after the reboot it detected the GPT/EFI drive again, however when I powered down the machine last night and powered it back up today the GPT/EFI boot drive is again not detected. Is this a common issue with the gigabyte motherboards. This happens on a Crucial M4, by the way when I go into q-flash it detects the M4 as a EFI partition however in the boot selection is only shows the POrt 0 which holds that drive. I have already power cycled the system many times however I cannot get it to detect the GPT/EFI partition anymore. I really would like to get this fixed but don't know where to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H and unable to detect GPT/EFI drive after reboot

Welcome to the forum. I have that board but not having any problems like that. Hopefully someone will be able to help you.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Sorry to hear about your issues. Here are a couple things you can try.

1. Try the SSD in another port and see if you still have issues. Could be a flaky port.
    2. I believe a firmware update for that SSD was just released not to long ago. Try connecting the SSD to another system to update its firmware.
    3. Try to clear the cmos. First try a quick clear if no go then try a extended clear. Short clear would be power the system off remove power cord from back of PSU. Press and hold the case power button for 1 min to drive all remaining power. Press and hold clr cmos button (if it has one) or use jumper to short clr cmos pins for up to 1 - 5 min. Long clear everything the same except also remove the motherboard batter before clearing the cmos. Also hold button or use jumper for up to 24hrs. After clear enter bios and load optimized defaults Press F10 to save and exit then renter bios and reapply your setting and check to see if it helped.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    Sorry to hear about your issues. Here are a couple things you can try.

1. Try the SSD in another port and see if you still have issues. Could be a flaky port.
    2. I believe a firmware update for that SSD was just released not to long ago. Try connecting the SSD to another system to update its firmware.
    3. Try to clear the cmos. First try a quick clear if no go then try a extended clear. Short clear would be power the system off remove power cord from back of PSU. Press and hold the case power button for 1 min to drive all remaining power. Press and hold clr cmos button (if it has one) or use jumper to short clr cmos pins for up to 1 - 5 min. Long clear everything the same except also remove the motherboard batter before clearing the cmos. Also hold button or use jumper for up to 24hrs. After clear enter bios and load optimized defaults Press F10 to save and exit then renter bios and reapply your setting and check to see if it helped.
    Ok I tried the 2nd port, I reset the CMOS via the switch (short) however that made no difference. The firmware on the drive is 0309 there is a newer firmware available however on the internet there are quite a lot of stories that this firmware is causing issues. Is the Gigabyte board known to have issues with Crucial SSD or GPT mode? I did not chose the mode, but because it was a brand new drive Windows 7 automatically created a GPT disk.

polypenko is offline Member

I have the z77x ud5 with the Crucial m4 128gb firmware 000F connected to Intel Sata port 0, works perfectly.

Perhaps not completely related, but when my Logitech Momo Steering is connected to the rear ubs ports,
    I'm unable to enter the Bios screens, have to completely remove the momo.

Perhaps you can do a test and remove all usb components, except your mouse/keyb.

Thread Information