Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Buzzing/electrical computern noise.

Default Buzzing/electrical computern noise.

Hello everyone!

Relevant PC specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte G1.Sniper2
    CPU: 2600k
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super overclock edition (SOC) x2 SLI
    PSU: Silverstone Strider 1200w Gold

The problem (Since day of purchase):
    When the GPU's are stressed in any gaming application, a very audible 'buzzing/clicking noise' is heard. It is a very rapid buzzing noise, liken to electrical clicking. This noise differs in loudness by how much the GPU's are being stressed, so for high intensive games such as Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2, the 'buzzing' noise is very loud (easily heard over all system fans and a H80 CPU cooler) and very rapid. However even in games such as Minecraft, the buzzing noise is still present just less audible (but you can still hear it over all cooling). The noise is coming from the GPU section of the motherboard.

Testing:
    I originally had a Corsair 1050hx PSU inside this computer. My brother with a similar computer setup, except he had Sapphire 6950 crossfire GPUS, also produced the same sound. A computer technician found it was the PSU, the PSU was RMA'd and to my amazement the noise was completely gone. CORSAIR even have a forum Sticky dedicated to this problem in their PSU. So I decided to replace my PSU (Corsair 1050hx) with a Silverstone Strider 1200w Gold and unfortunately the noise was still present (exact same).

I have removed and tested each GPU individually, 3x Gigabyte GTX 580 super overclock (one RMA'd due to faulty fan bearing). Yet still, the noise was consistent throughout.

I have now returned the computer for individual parts testing at place of purchase. The technician has tested different GPU's on the MOBO such as the GTX 560 and another GTX 580 of the same model. Still the same noise.
    Furthermore, the technician has swapped out different powersupplies and even placed the GPU's and PSU onto a different Motherboard and still the same problem!

Solution???
    After all the above testing, my last idea was possible VRM noise coming from the motherboard. So now I am completely lost, is it possible that the Gigabyte GPUS and Motherboard and the different brand PSUS are ALL at fault? Different configuration for these parts have shown the same problem. I've had a range of possible reasons being Coil Whine (Does this noise when Witcher 2 is run without vysch enabled, loud screeching noise), VRM noise, EMI leakage.
    Good old Rodney Reynolds has stated in his videos that such noises can only be present on the MOBO/PSU/GPU due to a bad capacitor. What really drives me crazy is that on all these parts purchased, the packaging label it as "japanese sold capacitor" no noise! Wrong :(

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions please, PLEASE help! I have to call up the technician tommorow, so I'm hoping someone would have an idea as to where to go next.

Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Buzzing/electrical computern noise.

I have same strange sounds from my new VideoCard GV-R777D5-1GD when it on load.
    It's Ultra Durable technology.

try turning off intel speedstep and see if the noise stops,

where are you hearing the noise through speakers/headphones?

if headphones try disconnecting the front panel usb connectors from the motherboard and see if it stops the noise
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    try turning off intel speedstep and see if the noise stops,

where are you hearing the noise through speakers/headphones?

if headphones try disconnecting the front panel usb connectors from the motherboard and see if it stops the noise
    Hi and thankyou for your reply. The noise is only present inside the computer near the GPU slots. Please refer to the above in 'testing'.

Thanks!

if its slight noise then its fairly normal,even my 5870 makes a very faint noise,if its really loud and annoying then it can be psu/gpu or motherboard

have you tested without intel speedstep?

you said the noise went with a hx1050 psu? anychance of going back to a hx1050?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    if its slight noise then its fairly normal,even my 5870 makes a very faint noise,if its really loud and annoying then it can be psu/gpu or motherboard

have you tested without intel speedstep?

you said the noise went with a hx1050 psu? anychance of going back to a hx1050?
    Thanks for your reply!

I have disabled intelspeed step and a number of other bios configurations related, such as c1 state etc.
    The 1050hx also produced the same sound, all three different PSUS result in the same sound being produced. The parts were even put on a different motherboard which resulted in the same noise from the GPU area. My older computer use to produce a slight buzzing noise, but with this computer it is pretty horrifying, especially given the pricey parts.

Cheers!

Thread Information