Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Adding memory to an EX58-UD4P

Default Adding memory to an EX58-UD4P

Hello folks,
    Back in 2009 I built a system based on this board with an i7 920 2.66 processor. I put in 6GB if OCZ triple channel memory, this kit Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK
    I have the memory installed in the proper slots to insure triple channel performance, per the motherboard manual. I have the memory (and the processor) running at factory speeds, memory is at 1066. No overclocking.

I want to add more memory, but the product is deactivated and the company appears to be out of the memory business. I know it is safest to buy the same brand/product to insure compatibility. Also I don't want to just add another 6GB.

So I have two questions:

1) If I buy another brand memory with identical voltage, latency, timings and other specs, is it reasonable to expect it to function properly with my current OCZ memory?

2) If I buy 3x4GB sticks for an additional 12GB, bringing my total to 18GB, is that a problem at all? Given all the usual advice about matching, using the same product, I wonder if having 3x2GB sticks and then 3x4GB sticks could introduce any issues.

Any additional tips or advice? Brands that you know work well with my OCZ? I would like to not have to buy all new memory, effectively shelving 6 gigs of perfectly good memory.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Adding memory to an EX58-UD4P

1) Since you're running it at 1066 and thus JEDEC speeds, any DDR3 RAM should be able to run at the same voltage and latency settings that you're running your RAM. Not matter whether it's 1.65V overclocking RAM or low voltage RAM.

2) The only problem might be that the two kits might not like each other. When you're overclocking it's sometimes a problem to fill all memory banks, but since you're not, only memory compatability should be a problem.

I actually have the same kit of memory, but my EX58-UD3R isn't running at the moment or I could test some RAM for you. Unless someone actually tested it it's very hard to say which current memory runs fine with yours. I would probably get a 3x4GB from a reputable vendor (Corsair, Kingston, Crucial etc.) to make sure the SPD is properly programmed and just test it. You also might be able to sell your RAM for a nice amount, 1600 CL7 is actually pretty nice, you might not have to pay much on top of that to get a second 3x4GB kit.

Thread Information