Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gathered a lot of information, having trouble transforming it into wisdom

Question Gathered a lot of information, having trouble transforming it into wisdom

Hello everyone,

So I have been over and over again numerous overclocking threads; which analyze, explain and suggest the modifications that are needed in order to overclock your CPU, RAM, GFX card and so on.

However, more than once, I have seen suggestions that counter one another, or that do not really apply in each and every case.

To sum up, I would like someone to take his or her time and give me some 2012 insight on the following questions:

- First of all, all our examples will be based on a X58 board (obviously) with an extreme class CPU, yes the information provided is limited, but that is because I do not want a specific answer, rather a more 'global' explanation – something comprehensive and technical if you may, but that would apply under these stated circumstances.

1) I have numerous times seen the same overclock, on the same processor, with more or less the same voltages and although the graphics card is not overclocked (or present) I see major differences in the IOH voltage ranging from 1.1 to 1.4.

a. Is it really helping a CPU to OC?
    b. Does it help to stabilize the processor (pass tests, further increase MHz) or to further increase its performance?
    c. If yes, does this mean that you must increase IOH even more if you want to overclock your card too, or a ‘high’ IOH is able to serve both?
    d. Is there a function to calculate how much you need for GPU overclocking, under single or SLI configuration?

2) ICH & ICH I/O - Many times I have read this: "do not raise them if you are stable" and many times I have read this: "raise them accordingly to your other voltages". However, this thread is in my nightmares: How To OC the i7

In this thread, it is suggested that as you increase IOH you also increase ICH & ICH I/O (or IOH/ICH) and with that you achieve better performance from your graphics card.

a. Should ICH & ICH I/O be raised when you game with the BLCK or with the multiplier?
    b. How true is it that you get better performance on your GPU by accordingly increasing them?
    c. If 'true' to b. - should they be increased when you overclock your graphics card, or do they provide better performance regardless?

3) The PCI-E voltage is something I rarely see mentioned. The times I have however seen it, it is increased with the justification: "needed for overclocking your graphics card".

a. How true is that?
    b. What calculations should take place and under which circumstances to fine tune it?
    c. Is it related to PCI-E Frequency?

4) CPU PWM Frequency & PCI-E PWM Frequency are two features I see increased only in extreme overclocks, suggesting the CPU or PCI-E need more power than what they get by default.

For example, a board I have access right now, defaults the CPU to 800 PWM and the PCI-E to 900 PWM (Fail-Safe 700 & 700).

a. Under which circumstances (or after what limit) should the CPU PWM be increased and to how much?
    b. I have not seen the PCI-E PWM option in most boards, when is it needed (e.g. GPU overclocking)?

5) QPI PLL is another thing bothering me.

a. How does QPI PLL behave on extreme processors, is it needed only when you raise BLCK and not the multiplier so you can stabilize your QPI frequency?
    b. Is it needed even for extreme processors with high multiplier rates?
    c. Should it be increased accordingly to something?

6) CPU PLL is also bothering me, lengthy Google researches turn up with overclocks that were stabilized with lower CPU PLL and others with higher; most however with less.

a. What is its effect on Bloomfield (e.g. many mention that Ivys like it to about 1.7)?
    b. If lower, how low? And if higher, how high? What determines it?
    c. Does it depend when you increase the BLCK or the multiplier or what?

-

Thanks in advance to anyone taking their valuable time reading or replying to this, please let me know if what you state is a long-shot opinion, experience based opinion, or technical knowledge.

PS: A duplicate of this thread exists to another forum, to diversify information gained – information will be exchanged if seen fit.

Thanks again people!

Default Re: Gathered a lot of information, having trouble transforming it into wisdom

Nobody is willing to share some thoughts on at least one of these matters?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Gathered a lot of information, having trouble transforming it into wisdom

Do a web search using: x58 sin0822
    You can also check for X58 threads where LSDMEASAP has contributed.

In general, forum members don't reply unless they have something to contribute.

For starters: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...nches-new.html
    Happy reading!!
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Do a web search using: x58 sin0822
    You can also check for X58 threads where LSDMEASAP has contributed.

In general, forum members don't reply unless they have something to contribute.

For starters: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...nches-new.html
    Happy reading!!
    Thanks for the reply, but no; as I said I am not looking for another guide - I have already read hundreds overclocking / technical guides, which unfortunately vary a lot from one to another for my tastes, making most of them more opinion and experienced based than factual.

That is why I am asking for all the latest information, technical or even opinion based, that would apply to the configuration I mentioned, with a 2012 mentality.

Maybe you feel that this guide covers everything mentioned and with accuracy, I however believe a discussion is more constructive.

You probably not going to find you answers here in a tech support forum. You'll need to google, "overclocking forums" for your answers.

Remember, your results will vary and you risk killing every part of your computer if things go bad. also, each component of your system is unique to same models, no two components are exactly the same and have slightly different properties. That's why you find so much conflicting advice. Plus the cooling being used has a fatcor. sub-zero cooling (L2N, Liquid helium, dry ice, etc.) alters the properties of the electrical components and can give you better results.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ps. for best results on advice, you should list your system components you need advice for.

pss, If I may ask, what are your reasons for overclocking? If just for entertainment, you may want to start out on inexpensive or even older hardware. Overclocking an X58 can be expensive.
    Last edited by MarkJohnson; 06-17-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJohnson View Post
    You probably not going to find you answers here in a tech support forum. You'll need to google, "overclocking forums" for your answers.

Remember, your results will vary and you risk killing every part of your computer if things go bad. also, each component of your system is unique to same models, no two components are exactly the same and have slightly different properties. That's why you find so much conflicting advice. Plus the cooling being used has a fatcor. sub-zero cooling (L2N, Liquid helium, dry ice, etc.) alters the properties of the electrical components and can give you better results.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ps. for best results on advice, you should list your system components you need advice for.

pss, If I may ask, what are your reasons for overclocking? If just for entertainment, you may want to start out on inexpensive or even older hardware. Overclocking an X58 can be expensive.
    Thanks for your response, I am absolutely aware of the risks you mentioned; and that is exactly why I do not list specific parts, I need technical explanations and observations, not 'what is best for what'.

Also, I posted here because I believed these forums could have answers to these questions, since I assume this knowledge exists here.

And to answer your "pss"; I ask to both gain better performance, but mostly I want to gain more knowledge on such matters.

Hi there,

one of the reasons you may not get direct answers to your questions is the fact that although PC components share the same name, in many cases their responsiveness, when it comes to overclocking can vary widely. For example (I know this is not your CPU but...) take an i5 2500k CPU such as I own. I can happily get 5.2GHz from my chip but my friend, who has exactly the same system setup as me can get 5.4GHz from his CPU. We've compared BIOS settings, matched voltages, tried tweaking as much as we can but, my chip will not pass 5.2GHz even when it is on his motherboard. The same applies equally to GPU's and RAM modules and is one of the reasons Overclocking is such fun but also a bit of a minefield.

Overclocking is an art but it also depends on the luck of the draw when it comes to your actual components. This is why, when you research into the subject, you get such conflicting information as, quite often, what works on one system will not work exactly the same on another one. Sadly, it is not an exact science so no guide, however well written and put together can state categorically that this is the way to do it.

I feel that when it comes to O/C'ing it is really a case of suck it and see. What I mean by this is, to gather the basic ideas together of how to increase/decrease the CPU multiplier, system voltages, RAM Timings, how to clear CMOS etc., and then go for it. Unless you are really stupid and raise the voltages too high in a single step, it is very unlikely you will actually destroy anything. Make sure you know the maximum voltages your parts will take, according to the manufacturers information and try to keep below these. Experimentation with your own hardware is the only way that you can fully grasp what is needed for your system. Tweak one thing at a time and see how the system responds and remember to keep notes as it is very easy to forget what you have tried a couple of hours ago.

Once you have embarked on tweaking the system it is then easier to ask others, specific questions about a problem you face but, once again, don't be surprised if you get conflicting responses.
    Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-Z97X-UD5H - PSU: Gigabyte Odin 800 Watt Modular
    CPU: Intel 4770k - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black LP CML16GX3M4A1600C9 4x4GB Modules (16GB Total) running at 1600MHz
    GPU: Asus NVidia 650 - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
    SSD's: Plextor M.2 PCIe SSD 256Gb, Corsair Force 3 GS 250Gb SSD,
    ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB - Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro - OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Thread Information