Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unable to access locked cpu cores after bios update

steffijade is offline Junior Member

Default Unable to access locked cpu cores after bios update

Hi, I'm new to this forum and not that knowledgeable about bios flashing and I have an issue that i hope someone could help with if possible.

My computer is self built and quite low spec. It has a GA-MA74GMT-S2 (rev 1.3) motherboard and a sempron 140 cpu (told you it was low spec).

When I first got this mb/cpu combo I was able to unlock a hidden core on the sempron by using the motherboard tweaker in bios.

I decided to try an upgrade to the cpu, so went to the Gigabyte site and checked for a compatible cpu. According to the website, the mb should be able to take a Phenom ii x4 960T if the bios is upgraded to the F10 version.

I've ordered the cpu and thought it would be an idea to update the bios to F10 so that the mb is ready for the new cpu.

I managed to flash the bios to F10 and it will boot and run ok, but since flashing, I can't get the hidden core unlocked on the sempron again. If I try turning on the options in motherboard tweaker and go for a save and reset, I get a message saying it's writing firmware.

After this though, the system seems to power down for a second or 2 before rebooting. I'm not sure if the power is meant to interrupt like that or not... my firsy guess is not.

When the system reboots it gets as far as displaying the cpu type (which shows up as the dual core) but then it just locks up... can't access bios or do anything.

I am able to reset the bios by popping out the battery and shorting the connectors to get it back to recognising the cpu as a sempron, so I at least still have a 'working' system but I'm beginning to wonder if there will be issues with the quad core when I try to install it.

Does anyone know if there's an issue with the F10 bios and if the power down will be causing issues please?

I'd be grateful if someone could give me a few pointers.

Thanks. ;)

Default Re: Unable to access locked cpu cores after bios update

What the pervious BIOS version is? can you unlock the core with old version BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper530 View Post
    What the pervious BIOS version is? can you unlock the core with old version BIOS?
    Hiya, it was on F8 before I flashed and no, I can't unlock the core on F8 (I've tried F7 too and no luck).

I have now received the quad core processor and installed it, along with a better cpu fan.

I flashed the bios back to F10 version and it recognises the cpu fine as a quad core, but when I turn on the tweak options to unlock the cpu I run into problems.

After switching on hybrid mode and aac in bios, the system gives the writing firmware message and powers down for a few seconds. On starting up again, it posts as an AMD six core processor (no actual identifier) and seems to go through the rest of the startup sequence ok, but when it gets to loading the OS I get a bsod that mentions updating the bios.

As I already seem to have the newest version of bios, I don't know what else to try.

I'd appreciate any hints or tips please.

Thread Information