Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 + Samsung SSD 830?

RichieBoy is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 + Samsung SSD 830?

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    RichieBoy's PC Spec listing doesn't include very many details and we don't know what specific problems he's having.
    He should post a detailed description of his problems and what steps he has taken.
    We don't know if the problem is:
    - his system doesn't recognize his ssd
    - is he using AHCI mode?
    - which sata port is the ssd connected to?
    - did he do a new o/s install?
    - is he copying a previous o/s installation to his ssd?
    Both of my motherboards are as old or older than the X48-DQ6 and my ssd's have had no problems.

If you need additional help, you need to provide a detailed hardware list in your forum signature or by filling in the PC Specs.
    I don't waste my time trying to help when we don't know the full hardware setup.

Hello Guys,
    Sorry for the missing items/info. Just filled in the hardware and will try to explain what i've done so far.

Started disconnecting all HDU's except my BootDrive. (Samsung HD200HJ on Intel Sata port 0).
    (System never used AHCI before so all bios settings refer to ide/compatbility)
    Attached the SSD to sata port 1 (also on the intel bus; I did not use the GigaByte ports)

First I used the Norton Ghost program which comes with the Samsung SSD. Made a disk copy (from HD to SSD according to the manual) then started the system, and booted from the SSD (used F12 for boot device selection) this was faster than before.
    But on replacing the SamSung HD200HJ with the SSD (so ssd was only device capable of booting), the system won't boot (no bootloader present).

After this I have been trying to boot with the AHCI options in the bios without any luck.

Next I swapped out the SSD with the original Sata, changed the bios back to the settings before i started changing things (all ide), placing the SSD on an other sata port.
    Now after booting, cleaned the SSD through diskpart. Shutdown; disconnect the sata disk, set ssd on sata 0; boot with (earlier prepared) windows 7 64 bit to do a clean install.
    Bios sees the SSD (in all cases btw) , but when in the disk selection screen I am unable to format the ssd. I can select it, partition it, but NOT format.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

RichieBoy

PS: thanks cool_slowbro for the pm...

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

A normal win7 installation creates a hidden Recovery partition and both will be needed.
    You will need Ghost to copy both partitions to the ssd.
    You might need to boot using the win7 dvd and choose the repair option to properly update the MBR and boot loader.
    Once you can boot from the ssd, we can tell you how to use Regedit to set the windows registry for AHCI.
    After the registry has been changed for AHCI, you will boot into the bios and select AHCI mode.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

OK, will try this.It will take some time however, but I will let you know asap.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichieBoy View Post
    OK, will try this.It will take some time however, but I will let you know asap.Thanks
    You did report that the AHCI scan-screen went by faster after the BIOS update right? About to pick up my SSD from the post office, probably gonna flash/reformat etc tonight or tomorrow. weee
    Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz (w/ stock voltage...miracle?)
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator
    GIGABYTE X48-DQ6 F6 BIOS
    XFX HD6870 1GB
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB
    WD GP 500GB
    Corsair TX 750W (god I need a modular)
    Silverstone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Pro

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Check to see if your new ssd comes with the latest firmware version.
    A firmware update is often destructive with some ssd brands or models.
    Save yourself some time and effort by upgrading firmware before creating your ssd boot disk.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Check to see if your new ssd comes with the latest firmware version.
    A firmware update is often destructive with some ssd brands or models.
    Save yourself some time and effort by upgrading firmware before creating your ssd boot disk.
    Oh, I meant my motherboard's firmware not the SSD itself. And yeah, I'm gonna try to update my mobo (following the posted instructions of course) first before I even open my case. Then I'll check what others with the same SSD have said/tried/are using and update that. When everything is ready a fresh Windows 7 install will make itself a new speedy home. :3

After the motherboard has been successfuly flashed and everything according to the precedures I'm gonna try to run it on the same cpu/ram settings, just hope it still runs the same! If not I'm willing to sacrifice some annoying boot time for the performance/stability I'm getting atm. ^^
    Last edited by cool_slowbro; 06-26-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator
    GIGABYTE X48-DQ6 F6 BIOS
    XFX HD6870 1GB
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB
    WD GP 500GB
    Silverstone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Pro

Heart was racing, still is, but successfully flashed to F8D. The AHCI scanning screen is much quicker now. I followed all of the advice given (even did the bit for RAID where you setup HD settings before booting even though I'm not even on RAID xD) and set all my settings to the way they were (took pictures of each BIOS menu so I could just plug in the values when the flashing was done hehe).

Everything seems to be normal, opened my SSD box, time to pop this baby in and check its firmware. If it's the right version, off to SSD o/s I go!
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator
    GIGABYTE X48-DQ6 F6 BIOS
    XFX HD6870 1GB
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB
    WD GP 500GB
    Silverstone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cool_slowbro View Post
    You did report that the AHCI scan-screen went by faster after the BIOS update right? About to pick up my SSD from the post office, probably gonna flash/reformat etc tonight or tomorrow. weee
    Yes I did. I saw you already flashed your board and everything went ok.
    I hope i can do some testing tonight, but think it will take a day or 2 before I can get started.

Keep you up to date..

Quote Originally Posted by RichieBoy View Post
    Yes I did. I saw you already flashed your board and everything went ok.
    I hope i can do some testing tonight, but think it will take a day or 2 before I can get started.

Keep you up to date..
    Went without trouble. Read/write on my first test (Samsung's own Magician thing...1GB, w/e the default values were set) and it did 250 read and write while running windows update in the background. Considering 300MB is the SATA2 limit I'm content. Apparently there's still some tweaking/intel related things I'm supposed to download but it's pretty effortless on my end bro. I did a clean install though, no clone/ghost/whatever crap. :]
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator
    GIGABYTE X48-DQ6 F6 BIOS
    XFX HD6870 1GB
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB
    WD GP 500GB
    Silverstone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Pro

This is the 3th time i'm trying to place an update. Hope i can hit the 'submit' button in time.

SSD is Working ...

Did a clean install also.
    At the moment busy installing all my other applications/tools.

The SSD problem is solved, however.
    Just ran into another problem: none of my USB sticks seem to be working (?)
    They are ok in another system. Drivers will not install, in any way. (have to check the web if this is a known issue).
    What does show up in the "safely remove hardware and eject media" are all my HDD/SSD drives. Is this because of AHCI?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information