Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G1 Guerrilla mod bios

Default Re: G1 Guerrilla mod bios

Sorry, had to run and look at a water heater. Windows 7 & 8 say's its on. I have read that people said it was on but not working, also read something from staff on OCZ forum that win 8 only has it, which doesn't seem right,
    because its not windows, its the controller and the way it splits that doesn't allow the drives to see the TRIM commands.

Intel has said that win 7 will have TRIM on RAID after the version 11.5.0.1111 of the RST.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Yeah thats what I(we) all thought. we just were not sure if it was the raid rom and/or the drivers that were supposed to add the support, and win7 supports Trim on raid with other "True" hardware raid controllers. So this only win8 not win7 is BS.

The only true way that I know to test for trim is to write a whole bunch of crap to the drive and bench test it until you see performance drop then clean the drive up with out doing a secure erase and then letting it idle and see if trim kicks in and then bench test it to see if performance comes back.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Ace, from everything I have been reading, I don't hear about performance loss, but maybe if the drive is almost filled. I can see windows stating that TRIM is on, but not actually making it to the drive, its see's an SSD,
    so it enables TRIM, but maybe its not making it to the drive.

Maybe you can help me here, the difference between garbage collection and TRIM is real time, that is, TRIM cleans as soon as the blocks are free, where as garbage collection frees when the drive is idle, this is why I can't say there is a performance loss, because the drive just uses empty and doesn't overwrite deleted blocks, and I'm pretty sure this is why SSD are so fast is because they don't have to jump from point to point like a HDD.

I wish there was a real test that would show TRIM is working and its not being done by garbage collection, I tried to delete files and see if the space became free, and it did but how do we know that the drive isn't just using garbage
    because it's not working to hard.

Its kind of funny how we have a MOBO MFG, who uses other hardware, and no one takes the time to tell how it works or to update as they should.

Marvell doesn't want to be bothered, they just want to sell their garbage, Intel is to big and come up with no real points, sometimes the MOBO MFG don't force anyone to come clean with how their hardware runs, and we get stuck paying
    for things we have to do guess work on.

Ace, I feel bad asking so may questions, so don't feel like you always have to answer.

Because I'm mental, I had to check to see if the Marvell firmware updated, I didn't see it when I extracted the f4d from gig, I really didn't think the firmware was in the bios, I only thought the marvell rom was, so I did two things, I downloaded the firm and put it on a boot-able flash, and received error with flash tool no firmware found, had the GO BATCH and BIN folder on flash drive.

I installed the Marvell utility and ran the flash cli and get no adapter found, and same when I open Marvell cli, no adapter found.

Now I know the controller is there because its in devise, BIOS, and I am getting 520 read and 490 write off a single marvell port.

Its pi ss ing me off that I can't see the firmware. One of my old ASUS had a marvell, and I found an ISO, booted to CD and the tool started and showed the version with a bunch of info.

Why the heck can't they keep it the same instead of these batchs, that don't tell you squat.

no your mother board has a Orom for the marvel controller. its the same controller thats int he X58a-OC board, which is the closest to true sata3 speeds for x58.

To see the difference versions of the the marvel orom enabled ahci or raid from a older bios or the original and compare to the modded bios.

As for Trim vs Garbage you are correct garbage is at idle and trim is live.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Thanks, for some reason I though it was firmware, I know the Marvell O rom, but I must have confused firmware because I see a lot of people asking
    for a firmware update through a bios mod, was pretty sure the firm wasn't in the bios.

chrisped is offline Junior Member

Hi acbmxer! Thanks for all your work on this forum. I have been reading post after post trying to gather as much info about my new Gigabyte Guerrilla as I switched from an Evga with a few issues and wanted to reuse my CPU and memory.
    In all of your posts regarding ich10r, Marvell 9182 and reading lsdmesap's posts as well,(your guys grasp of inner workings and tech knowledge is crazy great) is there a real benefit to updating to irst bios like 11.5.0.1347 and updating the Marvell bios? I do like to squeeze the most out of my systems, but have you seen a decent amount of increase with the newer bios and intel drivers?

I upgraded my motherboard as the raid drives I had (and they were raid based western digital drives with tlr built in) were dropping out of mirror raid and occasionally the system would not find the primary hard drive (vertex 2 which had a controller known to have an issue with a fast booting system that took a while to initialize so the mobo couldn't see it). I upgraded to a Samsung 830 to correct the booting issue and want to squeak out as much speed as possible, but also want a stable constantly reliable booting system. Like all hot rods I have owned....high performance=high maintenance........hoping to do away with the high maintenance part.lol

thanks for any input on this.

Chris

I have not see many people notice any speed increase, maybe a little but nothing to write home about. You can always flash a modded bios and try if you dont like or have problem with it you can just flash back to a none modded bios.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Red face Re: G1 Guerrilla mod bios

is there posibility to update this mod to actual drivers?

i Ve notice on the gigabyte mod tread the newer version:

X58-G1.Guerrilla Bios F4d mod (mb_bios_g1.guerrilla_MOD_7_11_12_f4d)
    Update with...
    Intel RAID for SATA 11.5.0.1414
    Jmicron RAID SATA 1.07.28
    Marvell 9182 Rom 1.0.0.0025

but when i Install it I seem to see no change on sata drivers. on boot i can read 1.07.06

thanx

edit:i precise that I have a isue on boot sometimes, the ide check on marvell is really long (seems blocked) and dont detect any device then the PC boot on sata intel that fail (no os on this drive) reboot and boot normaly before
    Last edited by chapio; 03-20-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information