Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST




  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Birmingham,Great Britain
    Posts
    9,250

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    could be the ram itself or voltages? seemslike cold boot problems,once warm and running its fine
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

    http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

    Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #22
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    Loading Failsafe bios settings usually causes problems; try loading Optimized bios settings instead.
    Memory voltage should be fine, what speed is the memory running at?
    You can manually set memory voltage to 1.9 or 2.0 to see if it helps.
    With 4 x 1GB of memory, your system might not boot if you set it to 1.8 volts.
    You can try setting the following voltages to +0.10 volts, one at a time and see if it helps with cold booting:
    • South Bridge voltage
    • FSB voltage <== setting this to +0.10 might help the most
    • NB/HT-Link voltage
    • VCC12_DL voltage

    My E6850 is overclocked from 3.0GHz to 3.3GHz and my 2 x 4GB Mushkin ram is running a 854MHz with 4-4-4-12 primary memory timings.
    Please provide a link to the manufacturer's web page that shows the specifications for your memory.
    Posting a Memset screen-shot will show us your current memory settings. Click on the SPD button to show additional information. As I recall the ">>" option isn't available with the N650SLI-DS4.
    Some of the temperatures seem high but that might be due to high room temperatures.

    I wonder if your system cold boot issues are related to A.C. voltages that are on the low side. I've never had boot issues with any of my systems, but I've always had each system connected to UPS units. A decent quality UPS will will condition the A.C. line voltage and might help with booting your system. While your ThermalTake 480w psu should be adequate for your system, I'm not impressed at all with their quality. Check out Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Power Protection, UPS, CyberPower, 501 - 1000 VA for lower cost UPS options. For maximum protection, any component that is attached to your system must also be powered by the UPS. As long as you don't have a laser printer plugged into the UPS, these lower power units should be adequate. Plugging in one or more AC adapters can be a challenge with some units. If you have frequent lightning, it's best to temporarily unplug the UPS from the wall outlet.

    I'm glad that no-one reported that they broke their monitor while trying to nuke the crawling bug in my roach motel picture post.
    I don't know about big Texas women, but the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders look pretty good to me.
    Yep....bigger ain't always better.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  3. #23
    GEJ2012 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    could be the ram itself or voltages? seemslike cold boot problems,once warm and running its fine
    I wish I had a place or a bud to take this RAM to, to test it. But I don't.

    Earlier when I replied I forgot to mention something; and it's pretty weird-looking to me. After loading the fail-safe defaults the last time I saw the POST report that I had a 2.8 GHz CPU. Sounds about right.

    But: I also know that with these failsafe settings the multiplier gets set to 10. Clock speed, by default, is 266 MHz, resulting in a 2.66 GHz core speed.

    So when Windows finally loaded on Monday I had a quick look at the System Properties, and it said I was running at 2.8 GHz. With those default settings that shouldn't be so.

    The next time I managed to get into the BIOS settings screen I upped the multiplier to 10.5, in order to reach 2.8 GHz. And what did Windows report? 2.94 GHz, which would be a multiplier of 11. That is puzzing, to say the least.

    Right now, after the last boot problems earlier today, things look like this:

    GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST-huh_what-gif

    I edited the registration information, sorry. I have no idea where my oemlogo and inf went to! There's supposed to be a logo and company name there...

    But, as you can see, Windows and CPU-Z report conflicting information. Dang, like I don't have enough conflicts already

    Erik

  4. #24
    GEJ2012 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    Thanks, not-Jim.

    I'm printing all of this and will reboot in a few minutes. See how it goes.

    In the meantime here's that MemSet image:

    GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST-memset-gif

    I will see if I can find a web page with the specs to my RAM; but I've never looked it up. It came with a bit of an instruction manual that I found back a few days ago; and that's where I got the Voltages from.

    Thanks,

    Erik

  5. #25
    profJim's Avatar
    profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA. [USA]
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    Have you ever run any stress tests such as Prime95, LinX, or Intel BurnTest (IBT)?
    It's possible that your unsupported E7400 cpu is the cause of some of your issues.
    Did you ever have any issues when your E4500 cpu was installed?

    The winXP report of 2.80GHz is a common bug shared by many programs where they compute the cpu speed by multiplying the maximum cpu multiplier by the front side bus speed; 10.5 x 266.7MHz = 2800MHz. Maybe the F8 bios supports using a 0.5 multiplier, but I've never seen this option in my bios. Some programs report 4.595GHz (10.5 x 438MHz) as my cpu speed with my E6300 (R0) cpu in my P35-DS3L system where my cpu multiplier is 8.0 and the FSB is 438MHz. I'll never see a real 4.6GHz speed with my cpu whose stock speed is 2.8GHz. My P35 was completely stable with a 100% overclock of my E2140 cpu to 3.2GHz instead of it's 1.6GHz stock speed.

    Posting a cpu-z SPD screen shot will display the factory programmed timing settings and voltage for the supported FSB settings.

    I'm running the F7 bios because the F8 bios disables chipset pci prefetch.
    Check out: Nvidia forced to disable chipset PCI prefetch
    I don't know if running with the F7 bios will help with any of your issues, but it might improve performance somewhat.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S
    .


  6. #26
    GEJ2012 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    20

    Cool Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    Hi, Jim.

    My apologies, once again, for the late reply. A 3 day family reunion "reunioned" (that's a typo, putting it mildly) my experimenting fun... My wife just has too much family.

    I did get some me-time last night though, after all the visitors left. I'm happy to report that all my PCI cards still work - they got a good workout for several hours.

    Other than that:

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Loading Failsafe bios settings usually causes problems; try loading Optimized bios settings instead.
    Did that. Things are working OK ever since. But it's still a bit early to tell, I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Memory voltage should be fine, what speed is the memory running at?
    You can manually set memory voltage to 1.9 or 2.0 to see if it helps.
    With 4 x 1GB of memory, your system might not boot if you set it to 1.8 volts.
    According to CPU-Z the memory is currently running at 420 MHz. It's too bad that I can only upload one image per post; but see this image:

    GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST-cpu-ram-gif

    And that is only because... read on after your quote... (I will upload the other images you requested in seperate posts)

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You can try setting the following voltages to +0.10 volts, one at a time and see if it helps with cold booting:
    • South Bridge voltage
    • FSB voltage <== setting this to +0.10 might help the most
    • NB/HT-Link voltage
    • VCC12_DL voltage
    This was very interesting. I haven't changed but one thing: the FSB Voltage - since you said it might help most. It seems like it did.

    Why do I say that? Because I ran that IntelBurnTest twice last week, as soon as you mentioned it. Both times, with standard setting, it failed. But once I changed the FSB Voltage by 0.10 V it ran fine, even at the High Stress Level setting. Again, I have screen images; but can't attach them to this point. I wasn't able to go any further than that because of RAM limitations.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Please provide a link to the manufacturer's web page that shows the specifications for your memory.
    I've been looking for that data for a few days; but I just can't find it online. However, I did locate my invoices from NewEgg, and both of them mention 5-5-5-18 timings, and 1.8 V. Which is pretty much what the mobo chose when I installed the modules, and what CPU-Z is reporting.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Posting a Memset screen-shot will show us your current memory settings. Click on the SPD button to show additional information. As I recall the ">>" option isn't available with the N650SLI-DS4.
    I'm sorry; but the MemSet version I downloaded (4.1) does not show either "SPD" or ">>" options. If you know of a version that does, and where to download it, I'll gladly run it here. But I hope the screen image I uploaded earlier this week helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Some of the temperatures seem high but that might be due to high room temperatures.
    Probably. This is NOT Washington, lol! It can get 90+ in this room, on an average summer day, for several hours a day. Installing the Aerocool HS/fan years ago made the CPU temps drop 15 degrees Celcius, as opposed to using the Intel fan. I never cared much for the Intel thing anyway; it gives me the creeps when I hear it speed up and down. So - if I ever get this puppy to run properly again - I'm putting the Dominator back. Also, right now I'm running the PC without the 6 case fans I have in there, to give the PS a break. 6, yes: 2 front, one in the back, one in the side panel, and (the ones that help most) two in the top panel.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    I wonder if your system cold boot issues are related to A.C. voltages that are on the low side. I've never had boot issues with any of my systems, but I've always had each system connected to UPS units. A decent quality UPS will will condition the A.C. line voltage and might help with booting your system. While your ThermalTake 480w psu should be adequate for your system, I'm not impressed at all with their quality. Check out Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Power Protection, UPS, CyberPower, 501 - 1000 VA for lower cost UPS options. For maximum protection, any component that is attached to your system must also be powered by the UPS. As long as you don't have a laser printer plugged into the UPS, these lower power units should be adequate. Plugging in one or more AC adapters can be a challenge with some units. If you have frequent lightning, it's best to temporarily unplug the UPS from the wall outlet.
    I have two UPS's, one on momma's PC, one on mine. They are OptiUPS units; don't ask me about the model numbers right now, sorry. They've done their jobs just fine for many years though; and yes: I do unplug them when lightning occurs.

    So... some other things I can think of right now: I've had to reboot a few times: no problem. I usually hibernate, instead of shutting the PC down: no problems so far. I've yet to really shut it down though, for a night or so. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    Thanks!

    Erik

  7. #27
    GEJ2012 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    CPU-Z showing SPD (after FSB Voltage increase by 0.10V).

    GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST-cpu-ram-2-gif

    This is just for one stick; but the 3 others are identical.

    Erik

  8. #28
    GEJ2012 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    IntelBurnTest, Standard, with only one Gig:

    GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST-intelburntest-gif

    Erik

  9. #29
    GEJ2012 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    IntelBurnTest, High Stress Level, 2 Gigs:

    GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST-intelburntest-2-gb-gif

    Couldn't go any further with my 32 bit OS, I was told after this...

    Erik

  10. #30
    GEJ2012 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: GA-N650SLI-DS4 barely reaching POST

    Hi prof,

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Have you ever run any stress tests such as Prime95, LinX, or Intel BurnTest (IBT)?
    Prime95 and Orthos were my best friends when I was experimenting with the E4500. But that was a few years ago, and LinX and IBT I wasn't aware of, until you mentioned them.

    Orthos eventually helped me to get the E4500 stable, at close to 2.7 GHz. That was for standard Windows use; not for gaming. I'm a big Half-Life fan (yeah, yeah, go ahead and laugh); and HL2 hung quite a few times running at 2.7 GHz. Once I got it back to 2.6 GHz things were just dandy.

    The E7400 was a "gift" from a friend, and I never OC'd it much, as said earlier; because it runs at a higher speed than the OC'd E4500 to start with! Officially it's not supported by this MB/BIOS; but after reading some of the messages on oriental forums I knew it would work just fine. Yes; I've gotten a few BSODs in the past couple of years, with Windows *****ing about my BIOS not supporting this particular CPU; but then again Windows is clueless. It's worked fine for years; why all of a sudden the startup problems? Old age, is the only thing I can conclude. But I need a fix, now :-) Oh, ooops? Star star star star star-ing? I wasn't that nasty... :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    It's possible that your unsupported E7400 cpu is the cause of some of your issues.
    I know, it is. But, as mentioned before: why now? I've had it for two years or so. Stuff getting older, despite the "Ultra Reliable" label? Hmmm.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Did you ever have any issues when your E4500 cpu was installed?
    After I was done OC'ing it and I had it stable: no. Not once. But again: that was a few years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    The winXP report of 2.80GHz is a common bug shared by many programs where they compute the cpu speed by multiplying the maximum cpu multiplier by the front side bus speed; 10.5 x 266.7MHz = 2800MHz. Maybe the F8 bios supports using a 0.5 multiplier, but I've never seen this option in my bios. Some programs report 4.595GHz (10.5 x 438MHz) as my cpu speed with my E6300 (R0) cpu in my P35-DS3L system where my cpu multiplier is 8.0 and the FSB is 438MHz. I'll never see a real 4.6GHz speed with my cpu whose stock speed is 2.8GHz. My P35 was completely stable with a 100% overclock of my E2140 cpu to 3.2GHz instead of it's 1.6GHz stock speed.
    Thanks for that info. I know Windows isn't the smartest OS around, but... I need it. There's no alternative.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Posting a cpu-z SPD screen shot will display the factory programmed timing settings and voltage for the supported FSB settings.
    Been there, done that! I hope you noticed the screen shot.

    Quote Originally Posted by profJim;432251I'm running the F7 bios because the F8 bios disables chipset pci prefetch.
    Check out: [B
    Nvidia forced to disable chipset PCI prefetch[/B]
    I don't know if running with the F7 bios will help with any of your issues, but it might improve performance somewhat.
    I suppose I could try that. The thing is though, that I upgraded to F8 a long time ago. So, again.... why am I having problems now? Another freak season change, or my MB reaching end-of-life?

    Thanks Mr. Jim,

    Erik

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •