Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST




  1. #1
    midnight toker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10

    Default GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    A new build, FX-8150, 1 video card, 1 stick of RAM, PSU, HD, & all 3 power supply connections attached to the MB (24 pin, 8 pin, SATA). The LCD reads "00" then "88" with about 2 seconds between number changes. I tried a 1090-T, different RAM sticks (3 sets), & swapped the PSU. I still get the same LCD read out & no POST. What am I doing wrong, or am I overlooking something? Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    Might try to clear the CMOS. To find your bios version on the post screen it will say something like GA-990FXA-UD7 F1a This is your bios version.

    **Edit** After looking at your MB manual there isn't a code 88, however there is a code 8B. Updating your bios to the latest may solve your problem if its related to compatibility. However it may not be that simple.. Looking at your MB on gigabytes web site any bios version below F4 does not support your CPU. F8 is the latest. It is my understanding that you will need a processor that is supported by your bios on board now to flash it to the newer bios. So it looks like it may depend on your current bios version.
    Last edited by Conners; 07-02-2012 at 01:21 AM.

  3. #3
    midnight toker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Might try to clear the CMOS. To find your bios version on the post screen it will say something like GA-990FXA-UD7 F1a This is your bios version.
    Tried that. No change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    **Edit** After looking at your MB manual there isn't a code 88, however there is a code 8B. Updating your bios to the latest may solve your problem if its related to compatibility. However it may not be that simple.. Looking at your MB on gigabytes web site any bios version below F4 does not support your CPU. F8 is the latest. It is my understanding that you will need a processor that is supported by your bios on board now to flash it to the newer bios. So it looks like it may depend on your current bios version.
    I tried a 1090T, which is supposed to be supported by the F2 BIOS. I seem to remember 2 or 3 years back that a dual or quad-core was needed to get into the BIOS, before you could use a 6-core CPU, & then updating the BIOS was possible to support newer processors. I can go buy a Phenom II X4 955 locally, & its availability predates the 1090T by about a year. Is it possible the F2 BIOS isn't compatible with the 1090T, or it's a misprint? Will the 955 be compatible with any BIOS GB could have installed on this MB?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    Well lets take a look at your cpu compatibably list here: GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 990FX - GA-990FXA-UD7 (rev. 1.x). As per this site the Phenom II X6 1090T should work with the F2 Bios and the Phenom II X4 955 is also supported by bios F2.
    I seem to remember 2 or 3 years back that a dual or quad-core was needed to get into the BIOS, before you could use a 6-core CPU, & then updating the
    This may be correct I don't really know much about AMD processors and their cores. But I see the the two you listed are 45nm process compaired to the 30nm process you have not. Not sure that makes a diffrence it its the same socket wise.

  5. #5
    midnight toker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Well lets take a look at your cpu compatibably list here: GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 990FX - GA-990FXA-UD7 (rev. 1.x). As per this site the Phenom II X6 1090T should work with the F2 Bios and the Phenom II X4 955 is also supported by bios F2.
    This may be correct I don't really know much about AMD processors and their cores. But I see the the two you listed are 45nm process compaired to the 30nm process you have not. Not sure that makes a diffrence it its the same socket wise.
    The reason I ask is because there's always the possibility of a misprint in the BIOS compatibility list. I'm thankful I have other hardware I can swap in to test. I don't know how someone could trouble shoot without having a supply of known good parts.

  6. #6
    midnight toker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    I tried an AM3 955 X4 BE CPU a little while ago. No POST, but this time it powers on even more briefly, flashes the LCD quickly enough to not be able to read it, spins the fans, then shuts off. No more continuous cycling of "00" to "88". I'm leaning towards it not being a CPU issue.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    Might try AMD or ATI forums they may have the answer your looking for.

  8. #8
    midnight toker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    At this point I've done all I can do. The MB is dead. It was DOA. I did the RMA with NewEgg & am now off to the UPS drop-off point. Hopefully I'll have a running system in 10-14 days.

    Edit: MB is on its way back to NewEgg in Cali.
    Last edited by midnight toker; 07-06-2012 at 07:40 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    Let us know if that resolves your problem. Never know it might just help some one else.

  10. #10
    midnight toker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: GA-990FXA-UD7 LCD reads 00 then 88, no POST

    Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Let us know if that resolves your problem. Never know it might just help some one else.
    Will do, but will it be back before next year?


    <dl><dt><label>Scheduled Delivery Updated To:</label></dt><dd>Thursday, 12/07/2012, By End of Day </dd></dl> <dl><dt><label for="">Last Location:</label></dt><dd> Departed - Riviera Beach, FL, United States, Thursday, 05/07/2012

    </dd></dl>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •