Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 won't post, stops at code b8

Unt is offline Junior Member

Unhappy GA-EX58-UD5 won't post, stops at code b8

Hello, sorry if asking for help on my first post is looked down upon, hopefully after solving this problem I'll have information to help others here in the future.

After using my computer for just over 3 years, and after a completely fine shut down, I turn on my computer the next day and it won't even boot any more!

The only upgrade I've ever made to this system is a graphics card update 7 months ago and that's been working absolutely fine since, so I can rule any upgrade issues. I must admit I haven't reassembled the system out of case, but that's only because a short is next to impossible: the case hasn't been knocked and it's run fine for 3 years. I read a few reports on this very helpful forum that bent CPU pins can cause this problem, but as the system has operated fine until now, I can rule that out (I've not installed a new CPU or moved the current one). I've switched the RAM around and tried booting with different sticks (1 to all 3) in the white slots and I still get the same stalled POST code: b8 which is an "Intel Core i7 MRC Code" so is this CPU related?

I hope not, my best hope at this stage is that the PSU has called it a day, because otherwise I'm going to be spending quite a few pennies. If it helps, I've included a picture below showing the POST code and the general state of the motherboard (phase LEDs etc) when attempting the boot. It's probably worth noting there's not a boot cycle like many people report when having a similar problem.

The error code:

General state of the motherboard:

Some other information you can't see in the pictures:

I've tried resetting CMOS
    All the fans in the case are spinning as they normally would on boot.
    The HD is not accessed at all (I guess it's not passing POST, so why would it :))
    The internal speaker is not beeping at all (worrying).
    There's no USB power but the PS/2 keyboard flashes when the PSU is switched on.
    Last edited by Unt; 07-05-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 won't post, stops at code b8

Have you OC the system? tried load optimize default in BIOS? CPU overheat? also provide the spec of your VGA card and PSU.

lookslike a 6Bh error code to me?? which is program chipset registers according to items described in setup and auto configuration table(whatever that means)

have you done a full cmos clear by leaving out the motheboard battery for 30mins or overnight if that hasnt worked? the cmos clear button at the back isnt always the best way to fully clear the cmos
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello guys, thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper530
    Have you OC the system? tried load optimize default in BIOS? CPU overheat? also provide the spec of your VGA card and PSU.
    I have never attempted to overclock the system, everything is stock settings, the only setting I ever changed on the BIOS was disabling CPU Enhanced Halt to solve a minor noise problem a few months ago. I haven't tried to load optimized defaults because sadly I can't access the BIOS, there's no signal on my monitor. The CPU has not overheated either, there's no temp LEDs lit up and the last time I used the PC the cores were hitting ~60*C max during gaming.

My GPU is this: ASUS ENGTX570 1280MB

And my PSU is a Hiper 880w.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300
    lookslike a 6Bh error code to me?? which is program chipset registers according to items described in setup and auto configuration table(whatever that means)
    The error code display is very strange actually! I'd expect 6 and 9s to have tails on the display but maybe they don't. It could also be 68, 89 or B9 too...

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300
    have you done a full cmos clear by leaving out the motheboard battery for 30mins or overnight if that hasnt worked? the cmos clear button at the back isnt always the best way to fully clear the cmos
    I just put the CMOS battery back in the board after a whole day and interestingly enough, upon pressing the power button, the computer rebooted itself 3 times with a little delay between each time, before finally reaching the same debug POST code again. Does this signal the PSU is dying? I really hope so, definitely the cheapest component to replace and I really want to be sure I'm buying the right part :).

im not sure,anychance you could borrow another psu? maybe from another pc if you have one?

is thats how its staying? with all the lights fully lit and cpu fan spinning?

tested with graphic card in second pci-e slot just to rule out possible gpu detection error?
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    im not sure,anychance you could borrow another psu? maybe from another pc if you have one?

is thats how its staying? with all the lights fully lit and cpu fan spinning?

tested with graphic card in second pci-e slot just to rule out possible gpu detection error?
    Sadly, I can't try it with another PSU and yeah I tried it with an older gtx280 and got the same results. Yeah, the CPU fan keeps spinning, there's no HD activity, not all but most LEDs lit (if it helps, the ones off are: CPU overvoltage, NB & SB overvoltage, overclock LEDs and temp warning LEDs) and the ASUS GPU fans start up in their usual jet engine manner. To be honest I've never heard other people using Hiper PSUs so I wouldn't be suprised if their lesser known reputation was for a good reason. But I am a bit mystified as to why there's no beeping coming from the PC speaker. It is definitely plugged in to the right F_PANEL port.

As a side note, next time I'm using a bigger case because this thing is a nightmare to operate on, even struggled to get out the PSU from the case :/

well i can recommend the psu in my sig,ive used about 5 so far in other builds and they work well,if it doesnt cure it you have dsr rules of 14days for full refund,also have the exact same motherboard for sale boxed complete if you ever need another or rma current one,could be something else though

xfx psu's are decnt also,they are made by seasonic which supposed to be the best

those in my sig come with 2yr warranty,xfx have 5 yr
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Sorry for the bump, but thought it would be better than a posting a new topic. I finally got round to purchasing a new PSU!

I fit the Corsair HX750 into the tower, pressed the power button ANDDDDD... same problem :(. Oh well, gonna hold onto this PSU as the modular design is so much easier while I'm fiddling around. Am I right in thinking the next step is to buy some new RAM? Or is it looking more likely that the MB is fried? The only thing that makes me think it isn't the MB is that the debug code changes (C1) when there's no RAM installed.

Thanks again.

you can send the psu back under dsr rules(14) days from purchase,depends where you bought it,they may charge you a restocking fee,amazon/ebuyer dont charge this

only way to be sure is take mb/ram/cpu to local friendly pc shop and ask if they can test it,or rma the mb to gigabyte for testing,it will say c1 with no ram as it needs ram to boot up,lookslike its either cpu or mb fault

you could mail me your cpu? ill test it for you in my x58 ud5 board
    Last edited by wazza300; 09-06-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Thread Information