Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-H61N-USB3 Brand new build won't post/ reboot loop

lemjello is offline Junior Member

Default GA-H61N-USB3 Brand new build won't post/ reboot loop

I already RMA'd one of these boards back to Newegg because it was doing exactly the same thing. First, here are the components.
    GA-H61N-USB3
    I3-2105
    Crucial PC3L-10600U 2X2GB
    120 GB SSD
    Apex case with 250W allied PS

I want to use the built in graphics but I can't get into the BIOS for anything. I tried already, swapping out the RAM for 1.5v that I know works. Using every combination of the 2 slots. Tried it inside and outside of the case. Tried it with a PCI gfx card that I know works. Tried resetting the CMOS many many times. Tried a 300 w desktop PS and a 650W Crucial PS that I know is working just fine as it is in the build that I'm typing this from. I've tried the various things I've read on the forums about holding the power switch and turning off the power switch, etc, but so far, none of those have worked either. I do have a ticket in with Gigabyte, but was hoping on getting some feedback sooner....before the return period at Newegg expires.

What happens every time is I press the power button and the fan will spin and the phase LEDs will come on for like a second then it will shut off and turn back on. Everything will stay spinning and lights will be on for a while longer this time and then it will shut off and do that same loop indefinitely. I'm thinking the BIOS needs to get updated. I have no idea what version it is at the moment as I've never been able to get either of these boards to post. I'm at a loss. Is there a way to update the BIOS without being able to see the screen?

I am willing to try anything. Please if anyone has had anything that sounds remotely close or has some kind of voodoo trick that might get this thing going, I'm willing to try anything. I may not be able to actually get to the machine till tomorrow, but I will have all day and night to try any suggestions. I will check back every once in a while today and answer any questions anyone might have. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: GA-H61N-USB3 Brand new build won't post/ reboot loop

have you setup outside of the case to rule out posible short? made sure the 4pin cpu and 24 pin motherboard psu plugs are plugged into the motherboard?

for the ram positions its miss first ram socket from cpu then install a stick,miss one ram slot,install a stick
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are only 2 slots for ram on this board, and I tried with just one stick in each slot, also with both sticks, also swapping the 2 sticks order. Yes as well to the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors. with all 3 different P/S I've tried.
    Yes, I also tried with the MB in the case and outside the case as well. With both boards, and tried all the combinations again that way. I just find it hard to believe that it's 2 MB with exactly the same issue which leads me to think it needs a BIOS update. For instance, if it has the first BIOS, I don't think the I3 2105 was out yet, so it might need the latest BIOS to recognize and be able to use the processor? That's the only thing I can think of. Unless someone else has run into this before and has some secret thing that will make it work.....that's what I'm hoping on. Thanks for the reply. This is such a frustrating thing. I've built close to 100 machines and never come across this issue. I've read about people having similar issues to mine, but not this exact one. Most people seem to get it working through the help of people on the forum which is why I'm reaching out. Thanks again

i didnt realize it had only two ram slots,i should have googled first

you might be right about the unsupporting bios,you could either purchase a chip that supports from first bios or rma the board back to gigabyte for them to update the bios for you

you can also try taking the board to local pc repair store and ask them to update the bios for you,i think its the best step to take before moving onto other things
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the same exact routine: starts, stops, etal.

Does this with or without anything connected so it has to be in the basics of the board. Only thing I can think of is that I made a connection of two wires that said just P (+ and -) to the reset pins on the board, but the wires came from the power button so that seems logical since there's also a power switch connection as well.

I have several Gigabyte boards of all types and this is the first such problem I've ever had with them.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

i3-2105 requires the F2 bios. (Support Intel 22nm CPU)
    E3-1230 requires the F7 bios.

Note:
    F3 = Intel 22nm CPU support update
    F5 = Support Intel 3rd generation 22nm E1 stepping CPU (Ivy bridge)
    F7 and F8 = Improve memory compatibility
    F1 is the initial bios and all processors in the support list require F2 or higher.
    F1 date: 2011/07/07
    F2 date: 2011/08/04

You might have the F1 bios or your cpu might be defective.
    Remove your cpu and inspect the cpu socket for bent pins; it is very difficult to find bent or broken socket pins.
    Each pad on the bottom of the cpu should have a small mark that indicates that the socket's pins are all making proper contact.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Best solution. I'm returning this for a refund. There's no sense having to spend hours doing all kinds of tests and checks just to get a motherboard to do a simple thing like start up and post something on a monitor.

This endless loop apparently is quite common with this model. If there's a solution I just don't have time to discover it.

After going through tech support with Gigabyte, they suggested RMAing, and I also sent all the info to Neweg as well, and they ended up doing an RMA and paying for shipping, so, it will be try number 3 with Newegg. Hopefully third time is a charm.

Hopefully it's third time lucky. But then there's the other issue that prevails.... motherboard failing after 2 or 3 months.

I think I'll have to pass on this one.

Maybe in the mini ITX world there's something better on the drawingboard somewhere. Got all the other pieces ready to go.

dk12414 is offline Junior Member

I have exactly the same problem. New build with a i5-3450 Ivy Bridge processor. I am also thinking that the BIOS revision might be outdated and not recognize the CPU. However I canīt check the BIOS since it will never get that far. Only goes to splash screen but it is not possible to enter BIOS.

Did you get it sorted?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information