Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte GTX 580 super overclock edition Please help

Default Gigabyte GTX 580 super overclock edition Please help

Hi everyone.
    This has been an issue that has been ongoing for almost a year now.

Basically I purchased the Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Overclock edition GPU. Since day of purchase, this model GPU ALWAYS emits an audible 'electrical buzzing/rapid clicking noise' that can be heard well outside the case. Please note, this noise only occurs when the GPU is stressed during games / benchmarking.

Now I've contacted Gigabyte many times over this, I've gone back to the store front, I've had replacements and repairs and still the same audible noise. The technician at the store front all confirmed it is definately coming from the GPU and has 'never heard it before'.
    Later on I decide to ask Gigabyte via their support site and made a ticket requesting I may be able to go through the RMA process directly with Gigabyte rather than going back to the place of purchase (In Australia, we have one year warranty but have to go back to the place of purchase).

Gigabyte very kindly allow me to do so and I was put in contact with a Gigabyte Service Center here in Australia. They took over the issue, replaced components and one of the other GPU's (I have two). But again the noise persists.
    Now I should mention that the staff at the service center claimed that "all gpus of this model do emit this noise". I have never once come across a loud buzzing noise that can be heard over all computer components including a H80 cooler.
    So to my question: Is this normal? I was told by staff at the Gigabyte Service Center that it is normal for all GPUS (this model im guessing) experience the exact same sound, given the amount of GPU replacements and 'repairs' I've gone through, they all still do it...

Now I know coil whine is liken to a high pitch noise at high fps but this is an 'electrical buzzing' noise occurs with vysnc on and is louder according to how stressful a game is.
    Please note, the gpus have been tested on multiple system platforms / test benches and it still occurs. I was asked at the service center if I could still hear it when I was there (they set it up for me to see if I was satisfied), but it was quite deafening in there given a dozen people in a small room all testing parts, but I was still able to note the noise (this was another time I was told it was normal for such to occur).

...Or have I gone insane?

Default Re: Gigabyte GTX 580 super overclock edition Please help

what board are you using and what model psu,it can be the psu and motherboard or a combination of both that causes this noise,same as squeal
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    what board are you using and what model psu,it can be the psu and motherboard or a combination of both that causes this noise,same as squeal
    The current motherboard I am using is a Gigabyte Sniper 2 and the PSU is a Silverstone Strider 1200w gold. I have also tested it with a Corsair 1050 hx psu. Please note, the technician has also tested with multiple psus/mobo combinations all resulting with the same noise.

My main concern is that Gigabte staff at their service center assured me this is normal and that all GPU's of this model have this noise. Thus I am hoping if this can be confirmed to be the 'norm'
    Last edited by mmarasco; 08-12-2012 at 10:20 PM.

is it annoyingly loud? i get a mild squeal from my card but its only heard from the side of the pc case,never through the speakers/headphones and its only in certain game menus,crysis game menu is a good example

have you tried disabling the cpu's power saving states in bios to see if noise stops,things like c1e eist and c3/c6?
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

is it annoyingly loud? i get a mild squeal from my card but its only heard from the side of the pc case,never through the speakers/headphones and its only in certain game menus,crysis game menu is a good example

have you tried disabling the cpu's power saving states in bios to see if noise stops,things like c1e eist and c3/c6?
    Hi thanks for your reply again!

It's really annoying lol. I have to escape it by putting on my headphones because it can be clearly heard over all components. It occurs throughout a game, in menu and in game (even in minecraft, but it is less audible). Games like Crysis and battlefield 3, its very loud and very noticeable.

All cpu power saving states have been disabled and still occurs.

same noise with just one card? i cant think whatelse it can be,are you running easytune? try with that disabled or uninstalled see if noise stops or is less

run dpc latency checker and see what it says

http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

same noise with just one card? i cant think whatelse it can be,are you running easytune? try with that disabled or uninstalled see if noise stops or is less

run dpc latency checker and see what it says

http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe
    Thanks for your reply and help. Im not running easytune or any software that may cause such a sound to occur. DPC latency revealed everything to be in the norm, its definately just stricken down to the hardware itself (being the GPU).

I've popped another Gigabte Gtx 580 Superoverclock (I have two) in my brothers machine and same noise again, so I'm guessing literally every single GPU of model GV-N580SO-15I does this given my own testing and what the staff over at Gigabyte Service Center told me. Which to me really strikes me odd, I had imagine users would be up in arms but thus far I only found one other on newegg forums who reported the exact same electrical buzzing noise.

it could just be one of those things unfortunately,i know gpu/mb squeal is common and its a lottery whether you pick up a combination of parts that make the noise or not,buzzing is different though i dont think ive come across it before,if it is bothering you that much i would sell them and pick up a gtx680 or 7970 amd card
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Thread Information