Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: x79-ud3 does not wake up from sleep mode, power cycling

Default Re: x79-ud3 does not wake up from sleep mode, power cycling

Does anyone have a definitative answer to this problem?

I have seemingly the same issue with my G1.Assassin 2 board. It happens about 1 out of 5 times I resume from sleep.

I've done a whole bunch of experiments, including:

- switching the SSD to a different SATA controller
    - using a GTX 285 instead of my GTX 580 (inspired by another poster in this thread)
    - taking out some of the RAM, and swapping the ram into different slots
    - increasing the voltage for the RAM and other CPU-memory related voltages in the bios
    - disconnecting everything except for bare essentials
    - restoring bios to default settings
    - using beta bios
    - checking most of the power connections to various things
    - disconnecting and reconnect the SSD while the computer is in sleep to see if this causes the same problem (it doesn't - the computer never knows the SSD is ever disconnected)
    - and a bunch more things I'm forgetting

These experiments have taken over a month to perform since I need to take my computer in and out of sleep multiple times before I can determine if anything I've done has helped (so far it hasn't).

One thing I notice, and it could be pure coincidence, is that when my room is physically cold, there is a higher tendency for this problem to manifest. Perhaps the coldness is affecting the computer motherboard or PSU somehow? I'm grasping at straws here. Any help or insight would be highly appreciated.

I have a very similar experience. I have the gigabyte x79-ud3 rev 1.0 and I have been experienced the same boot loop issues on f8, f9, and f10. I have yet to try f11 or either of the f12 beta's as I haven't heard any reports that they address the boot loop issue discussed here. Recently my problems are a little bit different. I try to sleep or hibernate so I can verify that I am still having the boot loop problem (I have been living with my system by never sleeping or hibernating and spending an extra $20-$30 per month on electricity because of it). Now I can't my system to power down at all. I tell it to sleep or hibernate and it never goes. The screen turns off, but the fans on the computer never shut down. Further, moving the mouse or pressing any keyboard buttons won't "wake" it up as I don't think it is every getting to sleep in the first place. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    So the problem appears to be only with the HIS HD 7750. The 7750 also happens to be just about the most powerful PCI-E bus powered video card available at the moment. The card uses around 55 watts, and the PCI-E x 16 bus should be able to support at least 75W. But according to the PCI specs the card must not use more than 25W at power up, it can then reconfigure itself as a high power device. So maybe the card is pulling too much power when coming out of a sleep state. Or it might be related to the 7750's use of the PCI 3.0 standard, were as the other cards are PCI 2.0.

So the problem is largely solved.
    Interesting.
    I have an x79 Assassin.2 that will loop on boot for a bout 5 or 6 times before "catching" and booting to BIOS screen.
    Sometimes it boots through instantly but then when I get to Windows both video cards are not enabled, only one is seen by the system. Then I reboot (and loop) a few times and Windows sees both video cards. ANNOYING IN THE EXTREME.

Tried a bunch of BIOSes, nothing really changes.

As for sleep, that has never worked properly on this board. I tried a couple of times but ran in to the same experiences reported here. To be fair though the other x79 board I had (Asus p9x79 pro) didn't come out of sleep most of the time either.

/RANT ON
    I picked up the G1 Assassin.2 cheaply while the Asus P9X79 Pro was away for RMA. I have always had good luck with Gigabyte boards and have 3 running in the house at the moment, they are all great. This X79 board though is a galactic sized piece of crap. From the crappy boot up to the absolute junk Bigfoot Killer Nic and the outdated drivers for the Creative soundcard. It has been one giant disappointment.

My venom isn't just for Gigabyte though, the Asus has a huge amount of problems as well. The entire X79 motherboard range appears to be plagued by issues. The CPUs are awesome, the motherboard platform stinks.

Hopefully a decent X79 motherboard will be made at some point so I can get rid of the Asus and the junk Gigabyte Assassin.2.
    Sometimes it is all I can do to stop from smashing the G1 Assassin.2 to bits with a hammer. I won't though, I'll put it on Ebay and pass on the pain.
    /RANT OFF

ah I feel better
    Intel 3930k
    ASUS P9X79 LE
    16GB (4x4GB) 2133mhz Patriot PXD38G2133C11K
    2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X OC
    Silverstone 1000Watt Strider
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    2 x Samsung F1 500GB
    Silverstone Fortress FT02S

Follow up. I installed the latest beta bios' f12L and f12p and both exhibited the same boot loop issue.

I am resigned to the possibility that I need to try a lower power video card as that is the only thing I have heard has had any effect on this issue.
    Last edited by general_helaman; 12-30-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Same issue here. I have a x79-ud3 mobo, i7 3820 cpu, and radeon 7970. as mentioned earlier, perhaps it's the 7xxx video card??? would be a shame if so. i hope gigabyte is able to fix it with a BIOS update. argh. btw: i updated to the f12p beta bios soon after it was available, but i haven't tried sleeping it yet. i've only noticed the sleep boot loops with previous bios versions. although from what other people have said, it seems that the 12p bios doesn't fix the issue.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Interesting, this reminds me of the wake from Sleep issues that many P67 boards have, including my ASUS P67 board. I'll add my experience with this issue on that board, just an FYI if you're interested.

As most of X79 owners know, that chipset is much more closely related to the Intel 6 series chipsets, rather than the other 7 series chipsets used with Ivy Bridge CPUs. Since socket 2011 CPUs use Sandy Bridge architecture cores, not the 22nm Ivy Bridge cores, that makes sense.

The wake from Sleep issues with my P67 board were never solved, with even the latest BIOS update for that board. The fix the one X79 user found with a different video card is interesting, since the video card seems to be at least one thing that does not function when attempting to wake from Sleep. My video card would literally make a buzzing sound similar to what a mother boards speaker might make, when the system failed to wake. BTW, that card was one that took power only from the PCIe slot. Otherwise it seemed everything else in the PC started, fans, power LEDs, drives, but nothing to the monitor.

Some users of my board claimed a different power supply cured the problem, and strangely it was cheaper, older power supplies that worked for them. The best hint I ever found was in a Windows log (Event Log) that logged the wake from Sleep error. It said a driver had not responded in the expected amount of time, taking longer than ~500ms. That might be related to the amount of time it took the power supply to send its "Power Good" signal to the board, which on many newer power supplies was supposedly longer than the ATX spec, at ~800ms.

One strange thing users of my board found was that a short term Sleep of less than ~30 minutes would wake fine. Others thought that this was related to the boards temperature, if it was "warm", the system would wake fine. That was at best a symptom IMO. We did not have the boot loop issue that seems common in this thread, but that may be simply your boards reaction to this situation. We found that in many cases we could restart the PC after the wake failure, and the PC would resume without a boot, as if it had woke from Sleep.

The fix that ASUS suggested was disabling PLL Overvoltage in the BIOS, which some claimed worked for them, but not for me. The causes that Gigabyte suggested are unrelated IMO. I think it may be a chipset issue with some 6 series chipsets, that simply cannot be fixed. I suggest checking the Windows Event Log, or others for hints about this problem. That board is the only one I cannot use Sleep with, my Z77 board wakes from Sleep every time, when using a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU with it.

I have a Gigabyte X79-UD5 and when it goes in sleep mode it just shuts down.I have two GTX-670 in SLI and a 256SSD as my boot drive .The only way to turn it back on is to push the power buttom and it will go where I left it.I have the latest Bios F12 ,have not tried any beta bios yet because I don't think that is the problem.The X79-UD5 has so many settings on it ,I don't know where to begain
    Intel i7-3820+Gigabyte EX79-UD5+16g G.SKill-DDR3-1600+Creative X-Fi Titanium+3TB-Seagate
    2-Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3+2-Western Digital 640g+ LG 12X Blu-ray Burner+1- LG DVD 22x Bruner
    2-ASUS Direct CU II GTX-670+XFX-PRO-850watt +Antec-P280 Case+LG-50" HDTV Plasma Monitor
    Logitech G9x + G15 + G25 wheel +Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio speakers+Corsair H-100

Quote Originally Posted by john19055 View Post
    I have a Gigabyte X79-UD5 and when it goes in sleep mode it just shuts down.I have two GTX-670 in SLI and a 256SSD as my boot drive .The only way to turn it back on is to push the power buttom and it will go where I left it.I have the latest Bios F12 ,have not tried any beta bios yet because I don't think that is the problem.The X79-UD5 has so many settings on it ,I don't know where to begain
    Out of interest does your system sometimes lose the second video card?
    Half the time when I reboot my 2nd video card is not seen by the system so SLI gets broken. Then I have to reboot a few times to get it to show up, then I of course have to reconfigure SLI from the NVidia control panel.
    Intel 3930k
    ASUS P9X79 LE
    16GB (4x4GB) 2133mhz Patriot PXD38G2133C11K
    2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X OC
    Silverstone 1000Watt Strider
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    2 x Samsung F1 500GB
    Silverstone Fortress FT02S

No I don't loose my video setting ,my SLI stays the same and works perfect.it just when it goes to sleep it stays asleep until I push the power button.
    Intel i7-3820+Gigabyte EX79-UD5+16g G.SKill-DDR3-1600+Creative X-Fi Titanium+3TB-Seagate
    2-Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3+2-Western Digital 640g+ LG 12X Blu-ray Burner+1- LG DVD 22x Bruner
    2-ASUS Direct CU II GTX-670+XFX-PRO-850watt +Antec-P280 Case+LG-50" HDTV Plasma Monitor
    Logitech G9x + G15 + G25 wheel +Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio speakers+Corsair H-100

rickfabio is offline Junior Member

I too experienced this on my x79 Ud3 and upgraded to ud5 with the same problem....
    What sorted it out for me was disabling 'energy efficient ethernet' which is set active by default in the power settings of the ethernet adaptor.
    Haven't had it happen since, been 2 months now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information