Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-Z77X-UD5H versus P8Z68-V Pro BIOS settings

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default GA-Z77X-UD5H versus P8Z68-V Pro BIOS settings

I had a 2600K in an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB running at Vcore of 1.28V, Load-Line Calibration of Extreme, Phase Control of Extreme, Duty Control of Extreme and CPU Current Capability of 100%. I have that same processor in a GA-Z77X-UD5H MB with a Vcore of 1.28V and Vcore Loadline Calibration of Extreme. In both case the system was/is stable but I feel that the Gigabyte setup is on the ragged edge. Can someone help me with the Gigabyte BIOS equivalent for Phase Control, Duty Control and CPU Current Capability and any other setting(s) I should be playing with that will help with stability?

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H versus P8Z68-V Pro BIOS settings

You "feel" that the system is on the ragged edge? What does that mean, exactly? Are you overclocking? Sometimes the difference between rock stable and not is a very tiny amount of voltage, depending on what your criteria for stable is. If I can pass Prime 95 AVX with >90% memory utilization and no WHEA errors in Event Viewer then I feel my system is stable. But I could drop the offset .005 and that would all change.
    When I got my first UD5H board, I put my 2600K in until IB came out. It used the same vcore/offset as it did in a Z68XP-UD3.
    I'm not familiar with how Asus boards are set up though, maybe wazza can help you translate something as I think he has that board.

Sorry abut that, I am running the 2600K at 4.5GHz and it will run 8 threads of Prime95 27.7 for 3+ hours with no issues. The max core temp reached is 63C and the ambient temp is 22C. I have tried the offset mode and always end up with too much voltage and too much heat. There are some good OC'ing guides for the P8-Z68-V Pro/2600K and some for the GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K/3570K but I haven't seen anything for the GA-Z77X-UD5H/2600K. I suspect that like the ASUS MB there are a few voltage settings on the Gigabyte MB that should be tweaked at or above 4.5GHz. Although I think 4.5GHz is probably the sweet spot for the 2600K. Like I said above, I ran the 2600K on that ASUS board at 4.5GHz for a couple of years and never had any problems. One more time:

Can someone help me with the Gigabyte BIOS equivalent for Phase Control, Duty Control and CPU Current Capability and any other setting(s) I should be playing with that will help with stability?
    Last edited by Ken429; 08-28-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Probably want you want to tweak with offset is the LLC. I usually tend to use Medium or High LLC as that will allow some droop. If you want little or no droop you can try the Turbo setting. One of the LLC settings in combination with offset should get you where you need to be. Also try setting vcore response to Fast, phase control to extreme. HTH.

boondocks,
    By Phase Control do you mean PWM Phase Control? The settings options are eXm Perf, High Perf, Perf, Balanced, Mid PWR, Lite PWR and Auto. I assume you mean eXm Perf if this is the BIOS setting you are referring to?

Thats exactly what boon is referring to. As far as using a normal vcore setting and dvid setting I have found that using a LLC of turbo allows for a lessor dvid setting for the same voltage needed to pass Prime95 or LinX. as compaired to a high LLC and higher dvid voltage resulting in less heat...

For example these are setting I change for the sniper board and do not know if you board will be the same but I bet it's close.

Advanced CPU Core Features..........................[ENTER]
    Turbo Power Limit (WATTS)..........77...............[300]
    Core Current Limit (AMPS)..........112..............[200]

Advanced Voltage Settings...........................[ENTER]
    PM Phase Control....................................[ext Pref]
    Vcore Loadline Calibration..........................[Turbo]

CPU Core Voltage Control
    CPU Vcore..........................1.195V............[Normal]
    Dynamic V core(DVID)...............+0.00v............[+0.015V]

On a side note why do you keep asking the same question over and over again? This post Absolute VCore versus Adjusting DVID asks pretty much that same thing. Not happy with the advice? It's not gonna change as it all the same but asked a little diffrently.
    Last edited by Conners; 08-29-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Yep, there's multiple ways to get to the same result. Also will depend on what the cpu wants for the overclock as far as voltage. Also up to at least a x45 overclock I leave every setting on the Advanced Frequency Options on Auto.
    There's really not a lot that needs to be tweaked for overclocking this board.
    For SB some people disable PLL Overvoltage as I believe it interferes with Sleep when using the SB cpu's. Otherwise no need to touch it for IB.

Conners,
    I finally got a rise out of someone! The reason I keep asking the same question is I can not get to the same result using DVID as I do with absolute Vcore. I ended up at 1.26v on a 3570K to run at 4.5GHz and I always end up at 1.28V to get the 2600K to run at 4.5GHz. Using the DVID method I can get both CPU's stable at 4.5GHz but the voltage and resulting max core temp is always a little higher when the system is under load (Prime95 v27.7). I do not fully understand the benefit of the DVID method. As and example, I have power coming into my house but if I don't have anything turned on I don't get billed for usage. Based on the CoreTemp usage that I showed in the "other" thread it looks like the CPU does not use any power if it does not need it - just like my house. So...what is the advantage of using the variable voltage method? Try to be nice with your response!

Well i am not an expert on the subject but the way I see it is if you just use Vcore your your voltage is going to be higher at IDLE. If you use DVID the voltage will be lower at IDLE. Loaded voltage is a diffrent amimal which I bet if you use Turbo LLC you could drop DVID a notch or to to match your "absolute VCore" Meybe this helps a little lol

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

After reading through the thread I believe conners has explained how DVID works in conjunction to Fixed Vcore.

Its very simple, Fixed vcore will be exactly that If you set 1.28v the board is going to supply 1.28v to the cpu at startup, at idle, and at load.

Dvid will fluctuate the vcore as load is applied to the cpu. Once DVID is setup correctly to equal 1.28v the board will supply what ever is needed to the cpu to startup but no more then 1.28v, at idle when the cpu is not doing anything the vcore should drop to or below 1.00v, at load vcore should raise to 1.28v

With having 4-5 different levels of LLC you need to play with each one as each level of LLC is going to different affects only Vdroop and Vdrop.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information