Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77X-UD3H - Offset overclocking? (high vcore compared to standard oc)

Default Z77X-UD3H - Offset overclocking? (high vcore compared to standard oc)

Trying to work out the best way to leave turbo on but not have the motherboard push my vcore up to 1.4+v just for a 45x multiplier that runs fine at ~1.2v. I'm not sure with this UEFI bios what constitutes "offset" or how I can lower the voltage that the motherboard gives the CPU at load.

Ideally my goal would be to have a 24/7 OC that lowers the voltage/multiplier when idle and boosts it up to ~1.2v at load, rather than 1.4v which it does now.

You can view images of the bios here(these images are not of my actual settings): Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard Sandy Bridge Review - eTeknix

I figured out that the CPU Vcore has to be set to "Normal" (I guess that is default) before I could change the DVID. If it is set to "auto" or a user configured voltage the DVID settings are greyed out.

The only issue I am having now is after setting CPU Vcore to "Normal" and using the DVID to change the voltage, I have to add a lot more volts than if I were to set the CPU vcore manually.

I can run 4.5ghz/1.2v without errors using the CPU Vcore setting (doesn't lower vcore when idle), but if I use the DVID I have to set it to +0.1v which results in ~1.4v under load (I think LLC is adding a little). Lower than +0.1v (total 1.4v under load) on DVID and I start getting errors/stability issues.

F17 Bios
    32GB 1600mhz g.skill ram

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: Z77X-UD3H - Offset overclocking? (high vcore compared to standard oc)

DVID functions a little bit different on these newer I7's then it does on the older I7's. On these i7's each cpu multi sorta has its own dvid, this is called svid. So what you have to do is use DVID to adjust the cpu's SVID to get the correct vcore.

I suggest using LLC "High" when trying to overclock via DVID vs Fixed voltage. With LLC set to "HIGH" set cpu vcore to normal and set DVID to 0.000, save changes and boot right back into bios. See what the bios has set for vcore, now this value is not the true value but is should be above your cpu's VID (which is displayed in the middle next to where you set vcore) If you could verify vcore with a DMM that would be the best way, other wise boot into windows (Keep fingures crossed that you dont BSOD) load up cpuz and see what the vcore is. If you bsod or if cpu-z says vcore is to low(for what you know you need for 4.5ghz), then increase dvid in bios a little bit at a time.

Some people like to use LLC Turbo or extreme but that is going to push more vcore and require less dvid. So you have to play with different levels of LLC and DVID.

Its not like old days you could take your vid + dvid = vcore. its now svid+dvid+LLC=vcore.

Now once you figured that all out, and you go to push for 4.6 or 4.7, dvid is not going to scale like you would think it would. You may have to remove some dvid or add some.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Default Re: Z77X-UD3H - Offset overclocking? (high vcore compared to standard oc)

Thanks Acebmxer - That's the best answer I've had anywhere. My chip isn't the best after a couple of days of testing, needing ~1.32v@47x (turbo under load/HT on/32gb ram). It didn't leave much headroom in terms of temperatures even with the big nh-d14.

I'm running stable for a few days of testing now at 45x@1.272v under load ht on/LLC high/DVID +0.030v. Temps are fine, usually around 50-60c (21c ambient).

Are there any tweaks to get more stability (more multi) from less voltage? I know the z77x offers a lot in terms of tweaks but I don't know where to start, most of them look suitable for max overclock, rather than 24/7 stuff.

Thread Information