Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: G1.Assassin 2 and Windows 7 artifacts..

SnakeHaveYou is offline Junior Member

Question G1.Assassin 2 and Windows 7 artifacts..

Hello all, i didn't know that there was a Gigabyte section here.. So.. This is my problem:

I bought a G1.Assassin II, i7 3820 and 4x2GB Patriot Viper Extreme 2000MHz..

But i've a big problem!

Install Windows 7? Impossible! After 1, 3, or 8 reboots, artifacts appears in the Win Logo of the Loading Screen, and in Windows too.. I saw some others, with some Gigabyte X79, with the same problem, but no solution!

For example, because i don't remember exactly how many reboots:

First Win7 x64 Professional install.. After 10 reboots, artifacts...
    The second time i've installed Win7 from scratch, after 3 reboots, artifacts...
    The third, 12 reboots and artifacts!
    In the 8th, i think, i've managed to install SP1, but, the same! 1 reboot after, artifacts!

The weird thing, is that in 2 or 3 times, the artifacts appeared after the 1st W7 installation part! So, i couldn't even configure the W7 username, password, etc.. (Just like the guy in the Gigabyte forum)

Tried:

* Different nVidia drivers (WHQL, Beta, W8 ones)
    * Different Intel Chipset drivers (including the latest from Guru3D)
    * Different SATA ports, Intel and Marvell
    * Install Sata drivers in W7 installation
    * Install from scratch with IDE, and from scratch with AHCI
    * Switch IDE/AHCI after W7 install
    * Different Bios: F8, F11, F12c and F12d
    * EFI and Legacy ROM
    * Different DVI ports
    * Different PCIE slots
    * Booting using 1st and 3rd PCIE slots
    * Different GPUs
    * One GPU, and Two in SLI mode
    * As i said, one or two times tried to install SP1, because the artifacts appeared AFTER the SP1 installation..
    * Optimal Settings in Bios
    * Deleting the 100MB and Windows partitions, and creating one again, everytime i've installed W7

My best solution was to install Windows 8! No artifacts anymore! Flawless after 1 week of use!! Even with Optimal Settings in Bios..

Now, because i really didn't like W8, and some apps didn't work very well, tried to install W7..

And! Artifacts again!..

Tired, i touched every setting in the Bios..

Apparently, disabling "XHCI Hand-Off" and "EHCI Hand-Off" solved the issue..

Now, i'm running W7 happily, and after 3 days, no artifacts! :)

But, why?

I've some pics..

I took this with my phone, at the 2nd install part (the first reboot when installing W7):

This ones, taken from other site, but the Artifacts appeared inside the green boxes:

I need to know why the XHCI and EHCI Hand-Off settings triggered those artifacts in the screen.. And why they don't show in W8..

Thanks!! :)

---------------------------

These guys have the same problem:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8831.0

http://www.overclock.net/t/1243274/s...install-on-x79
    Last edited by SnakeHaveYou; 09-15-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2 -CPU: Core i7 3820 - Memory: 4x2GB Patriot Viper Xtreme 2000MHz, but @1866MHz - GPU: Gigabyte R7970 OC Volt Unlocked

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Default Re: G1.Assassin 2 and Windows 7 artifacts..

That is truly bizarre! If I had to use Win 8 I would not be happy. Glad you got it working, though.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

najiro is offline Junior Member

weird.. it only happens when loading the desktop? Have you tried loading the bios optimal defaults? Try using a different videocard if you have a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    That is truly bizarre! If I had to use Win 8 I would not be happy. Glad you got it working, though.
    Yep, W8 is the most counterintuitive SO i've tried!
    The only good thing is the "new" Task Manager!

Quote Originally Posted by najiro View Post
    weird.. it only happens when loading the desktop? Have you tried loading the bios optimal defaults? Try using a different videocard if you have a spare.

Mmmm... Let me explain when it happens!

It happens when it happens :P

Maybe at the 3rd reboot, 1st reboot, or 8th reboot..

But, once you see the first artifacted screen, for the first time, after you installed W7 (one of the screenshots), the artifacts will show every time you reboot, at every screen (Windows Loading and inside Windows).. You can reboot the system 50 times, and install and uninstall every driver you installed, and it will keep happening..

Yep, Load Optimal Bios, different Bios..

Tried with both of my GTX460, together, and separately

Added two links, people with the same problem.. Different Motherboards, same chipset..
    Last edited by SnakeHaveYou; 09-15-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2 -CPU: Core i7 3820 - Memory: 4x2GB Patriot Viper Xtreme 2000MHz, but @1866MHz - GPU: Gigabyte R7970 OC Volt Unlocked

One thing i've to add, is that today, happened once!! When i touched some CPU settings, the economy settings, such C1E, C3/C6, CPU Thermal Monitor, EIST.. From Auto to Enable..

But, after i disabled C1E, rebooted, no artifacts!
    To confirm, enabled C1E again.. Waited to see the artifacts show, and no artifacts!!!

I'm confused!

Thread Information