Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Crackling Audio on EP45-UD3R front panel audio

Default Crackling Audio on EP45-UD3R front panel audio

Hello,

Using this older board in a new "office" workstation build with Windows 7 x64, 8GB of RAM etc - it's all working great - except for the front panel audio. I have this board housed in an Antec P182 and have done a bunch of research on how crappy their front panel cabling is when using the front panel audio plug via headphones. Known to be full of static, not grounded and a hundred other excuses.

So I put a Silverstone FP32 (SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- FP32) in here - thinking that their wiring was better, grounded better and hopefully I could play back audio with no static in the phones.

Well - imagine my surprise after all the rewiring - to find out that even when this standalone panel is installed and connected to the EP45-UD3R HD front panel header - I still get static in the phones when anything happens onscreen with what appears to be "graphics". If I move a window, scroll the mouse etc - I hear the "action" in the form of static over the headphones.

Obviously some sort of IRQ conflict or possible something else.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do (if anything) to remedy this. I do have a pair of AudioEngine speakers connected to the 2-channel rear panel jack and do not seem to have any issue there.

Appreciate any tips you can share.

VP

Default Re: Crackling Audio on EP45-UD3R front panel audio

tried disabling eist or c1e in the bios? tried unplugging the front panel usb headers from the motherboard and see if noise stops?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Re: Crackling Audio on EP45-UD3R front panel audio

My EP45-UD3P (essentially your mobo~) had the same issue with my Antec 1200V1 Case, I would hear static-hiss 24/7 if I tried to use my Sennheiser PC350 headset on the front ports. No issue on the on-board back though. Like you I thought it was purely my case as I had found some comments on other forums with users saying their 1200V1's had the same problem. I never bothered to buy a stand alone front panel unit to see if that would work better however, when I built my new system with a Gigabyte Z77-UD5H but keeping my current 1200V1 case, I was pleasantly surprised to find the front panel audio worked perfect now.

I know the UD5H has been reviewed to have a great quality on-board audio solution for it's price/tier so I'm guessing that's what is making the difference, maybe the UD3P/R had really poor quality (for the Front Panel at least) components and required a flawless system setup or something to minimize the static or maybe we got bad boards FP audio wise.

Looks like I ma making progress. Taking wazza's suggestion...I checked EIST and C1E - both were already disabled. BUT - I did have the 1394 and both USB cables from the Silverstone FP-32 attached to the UD3R. So I yanked all those cables - and left only the front panel HD Audio connector in place - and low and behold - the static is now gone from the front audio port via headphones when moving anything on screen.

Looks like one or more of those USB (and/or 1394) was the issue. I will now try to reconnect the FP cables that came with the Antec (USB for starters) to see if the noise stays gone.

Will update in a bit.

VP

OK - I reconnected the Antec internal cables to the UD3R internal USB and 1394 headers and left the Silverstone in place to handle just the HD audio connector. It's all good now. As much as I would like to cut down on internal cable crap - this is probably the best solution as everything is working.

Must say that I am surprised that even the Silverstone exhibits the same crappy grounding or some other issue that causes static in it's audio cable when it's USB (and/or 1394) are connected to this board. In that regard - it's no better than the universally despised Antec cabling.

VP

Thread Information