Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: problem with cold start Gigabyte UD3R V2

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: problem with cold start Gigabyte UD3R V2

Quote Originally Posted by rclark View Post
    Well ya know, not only such great help but can you get any better than this, I mean really !!! Thanks so much Profjim ! Great guides, I will look over for sure and thanks for the recommendations. As luck or I hope it is such, would have it, I just got home from an outing with the family and tried to start my pc and it would not even post. It sort of rebooted a couple of times on its own and as it was doing so, I saw the bright blue leds for the fans on the case and the power light start dimming quite a bit and it finally just quit. When I tried the power button again nothing happened, I tried several times and "nothing" and just left it alone, I think it was really saying "this is it". Well at least I hope this is the problem--ha!! Wazza, unfortunately the 1.35 qpi/vtt was not able to get tested due to this,but again thanks for the suggestion,I was going to try. I will get on Newegg and see what is going on and you are right Profjim, I am very much a Newegg member and get their specials through the email ( yeah I missed a good deal on those power supplies ). My kids pc has a Corsair 750TX that has been going strong for 4 years. I guess you can get some once in a while that have a problem--to be expected for sure ( just the way my luck runs--ha !!).
    thanks again Profjim----rclark
    From your comments in red, it sounds like your Corsair psu died. If a psu overheats, it's possible that it won't restart until the unit has cooled down, which is unlikely from your description.

Doing the paperclip test on a new unit is a bit of insurance if the new psu has an initial catastrophic failure. A well designed (i.e. high quality) power supply should never destroy the rest of your hardware if it has a major failure. I've seen several customer reviews where:
    • the psu failed the first time it powered up, which is possible but unlikely unless it's a cheapy, POS psu
    • the psu suddenly caught on fire, "exploded", or pretended to be a fireworks show and self destructed
    Some owners claimed that the faulty power supplied destroyed their hardware the first time they turned it on.

Human error? PEBKAC? PICNIC? ID-10T?
    Just be sure that you don't accidentally jumper the wrong pins.

HardwareSecrets has tested several ultra low end power supplies that destroyed themselves when they tried to put out more power than they could deliver, even though the power output was well below their "rated" capacity. They have a video of one unit that self imploded in a spectacular poof. A well built and designed power supply has numerous safety features to help prevent serious problems.

It's possible that your TX750 "sacrificed" itself to prevent damaging your system. Powering a single fan requires next to no electrical power. Starting up your system requires lotsa watts. How's that for a precise high tech term? Do you want to risk possibly damaging your system by reusing the TX-750? If Corsair finds that your psu doesn't have any problems, they'll send it back to you as is. Do you want to pay a qualified local shop big bucks to load test your power supply to confirm that there is a problem? What's the minimum shop rate? $50? $75? More?

The paperclip test is a rude and crude, quick and dirty test to see if a psu is alive. All signs point to the fact that something is wrong with your TX-750. One time my X650 failed to power up. Before I opened my computer case, I double checked the A.C. power cord at both ends. The problem was that the power cord was not securely connected to the back of the psu. This is one reason why I shouldn't have the powercord in my path to my desk, even though I try not to step on the power cord.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

rclark is offline Member

Profjim, thanks so much for the support. I am looking forward to a modular unit and it is quite exciting to try a new name brand. All along you have really paved the path for a great "LEARNING" experience, hence-- is this how you have earned the prefix prof. ? If not it should be of course unless you really are a Professor/ Phd, which would not surprise me---
    I showed my wife your comment concerning such a good buy on this power suppl, -- I am now out of the doghouse---ha !!!!! I owe you man !!! ---ha !!!!
    take good care--rclark

....and I'll collect big time
    I was given the "Professor" title many years ago because I looked like a professor in my gray lab coat and I could diagnose my way around a motorcycle. It probably helped that I smoked a pipe and had a full, neatly trimmed beard. I've always enjoyed helping others by sharing knowledge. You've been an excellent student by keeping an open mind.

Glad to help out, let's hope that your new psu solves your system's problems.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

rclark is offline Member

Well I see now how the name came about. My 2-cents worth on that though, looks are so superficial,it is that within that truly defines ones-self and thus you definitely shine as a " Professor " even more so !!----SERIOUSLY----!!
    ( On a side note--- it is cool to look the part also------ha !!!!! )
    I'll let you know how this goes when the power supply gets here. It may take a few days,free shipping = 3-5 days
    I will apply all the safe gaurds mentioned previously to reduce the chance of problems and having to uninstall everything again.
    take care----rclark

Thumbs up Re: problem with cold start Gigabyte UD3R V2

Thank you!!
    I'm at a loss for words and I really appreciate your kind words.

I hate to state the obvious, but....
    I hope that your psu has the fan facing the bottom of your computer case.
    Some ask what's the best way to mount the fan with a bottom mounting setup.
    With the fan facing upwards, small screws can fall through the fan grate and dust accumulation will be worse.
    If there is a thick fluffy rug under the case, make sure that there is ample airflow to help cool the power supply.

T-minus several days and counting.

rclark is offline Member

Hey Profjim, Yep, no worries, I would never mount my power supply upside down in the case, it is mounted facing down bringing in air from the bottom, however our cat that is shedding very badly sleeps under the 140mm fan--could this cause a problem ??? ha !!!! just kidding, couldn't resist ---ha !!!!!!!
    Again great points to bring -up !!! Hey shipping tracking shows it to be here hopefully Friday--we'll see !! Biting at the bit, I am taking the time now to do some better cleaning of the inside of the case ( air only ) not using engine degreaser or furniture polish --ha !!!! Now I have thought of waxing the outside of my harddrives to improve air flow--ha !!!!
    You have a great day, hey here's some good mood music for todays occasion ( Halloween )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Aej0vQJNQA
    -----rclark----
    Last edited by rclark; 10-31-2012 at 08:05 PM.

rclark is offline Member

Hey, just to continue with the saga......
    Got the new Rosewill 750 modular unit today and got it installed after doing the preliminary test Profjim recommneded, ( checked out fine ) --thanks again for the suggestion !!
    It has been running without a hitch since 5:30 pm. I don't know if taking out the power supply or if the problem with reboots set my bios back to default settings ( that last time it buggered up ) but I did reload optimized settings in bios and then restart and loaded my saved overclock settings. So, this is something interesting ( sort of the ice cream on the cake ), my cpu temps when running prime 95 to check stability were around 6C cooler. That is a pretty big difference, whenever I blow out the dust in my case, I haven't noticed but maybe a degree or 2 difference. Before this running prime 95 for 30 mins on blend test, cores would be @ 68C ( of course they will vary a bit, this is the average of the 4 ), after 30 mins now they are @ 62C. Good grief this was unexpected but hey I'll take it--ha !!! Maybe a little better ventilation with modular but I used all but one extra PCIE hookup. Well, also ran benchmark on my stock GTX 560Ti 2 gb card, and it was topping at around 53C vs 60C before this power supply replacement. Does this make sense ?
    Hey, I certainly am not looking a "gift horse in the mouth"---ha !!, but curious if instablity with this could have been from glitchy power supply from the very beginning ? I reckon it would not surprise me.
    Well, bottom line is, as John Steinbeck stated in the last sentence of the short story "Cannery Row".... "and again the world is spinning in greased grooves". Thank- you Wazza and Professor ( Profjim ) for so much great help, recommendations and especially your great support with this situation. I'll certainly keep an eye on this for a week or more for instablity issues ( please no !!!! )--ha !!!!
    take care--rclark

Nice to hear that everything is good so far with your new power supply.
    Your bios settings were probably reset to default settings when your system had issues with posting and booting.
    Keep in mind that room temperature affects temperatures in your system.
    I've found that if room temperature rises or falls by several degrees, most temperatures will rise or fall by a similar amount.
    Cleaning out the dust bunnies from fans, heatsinks and inside your computer case can help reduce temperatures.
    I clean the inside of my computer case 3 or 4 times per year using a 12 volt portable tire inflator with an air blasting nozzle.
    Your 80Plus gold rated psu is more efficient than your bronze rated psu and should run somewhat cooler.
    It's possible that your old psu was running hotter than normal and that this might have increased temperatures inside of your case.

An added bonus, your gold rated psu is 5% more efficient (on average) than your bronze rated psu, so your electrical bill will be somewhat lower.
    I'm pretty sure that your wife won't mind.

Where do I send my consulting bill?

problem with cold start Gigabyte UD3R V2-80plus-en-chart-png

rclark is offline Member

Hey Profjim, Again good points on temps. I was also thinking with my temps that maybe since the ps is at the bottom of the case that maybe the old unit was heating up more than usual due to a problem and this may have added to a little more temp in the case. Regardless,I am very optimistic this was the problem. The thing boots up a little bit quicker also and just seems more "crisp" if that makes sense. Started this morning without a hickup. In regards to the Rosewill 750 modualr unit, I really like it so far, it wasn't really fancy looking ( you know my stance on outward appearance--ha !! ), but it appears to be functioning great !!! Hey did you see that the Seasonic 750 modular was on a big Newegg sale the day after I bought this Rosewill ? It was $99, I had to chuckle, in one of your previous post with all this, you had stated good things come to those that wait---ha !!! Well another lesson there, of course if I had not bought the Rosewill, the Seasonic would never had been on sale--ha !!! This gets very philosophical--indeed !!!
    I showed my wife your comment about the efficiency of this unit saving a bit on the power bill, yep send the consultation bill to this address ; 1313 OutOftheDoghouse Ln, Crazyville, NC ---ha !!!! Seriously, of all the darn bills we pay, I would gladly pay this one my friend !!!!
    thanks again and so much Professor, ---rclark---

It's possible that your motherboard's VRM's (voltage regulator modules) were working overtime if your TX power supply was providing "dirty" power. Motherboard VRM's generate a lot of heat under normal conditions.

Yes I saw the 1 day, $99 Newegg sale price for the X-750 psu and said nothing because you had just ordered the Rosewill Capstone.
    I prefer the Seasonic, but this is really splitting hairs. I give the Seasonic a grade of 97, and your Capstone (Superflower OEM) a 95.
    Buyers need to know that most psu brands have models that come from different OEMs, such as Delta, CWT, FSP, Seasonic, etc.
    Superflower sells retail power supplies under their own name outside of the U.S.A., and they make some models for Kingwin, NZXT and now Rosewill.
    Database of PSU OEMs, websites and UL numbers. (posted in 2007)
    Super Flower - PSU REVIEW DATABASE

Bad news, the dog ate your consulting bill so you're home free.
    Clean and reliable power to the people!!
    Glad to help out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information