Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Can't enter BIOS setup

cbankston is offline Junior Member

Default Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Can't enter BIOS setup

I completed a new build with all new components. When I power on, the Gigabyte startup screen appears, but DEL, F9, F12 and End have no effect. Debug code is 62 while startup (splash) screen is displayed. CTRL-ALT-DEL goes back to a black screen, sometimes with AE debug code, or cycles through black back to the splash screen. I tried different keyboards, one new and 2 old, plugged into either rear USB-2 port or either front USB-3 port. I don't know which BIOS version I have, since I can't get into BIOS setup; but the MB was just purchased. How can I get into setup?

System Specs:
    MB: GA-Z77X-UD5H
    CPU: Intel i7-3770
    PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750-M
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB - attached to SATA3-0 (to be used as boot)
    HD: WD Caviar Black 1TB - attached to SATA3-1
    HD: WD Caviar Black 1TB - attached to GSATA3-6
    OD: Lite-On DVD RW - attached to SATA2-2
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600 8GB X 2 (KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G)- in slots 1 & 2
    GPU: MSI N660-TI PE 2GD5/OC
    Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooler: Corsair H100
    Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp - attached to MB VGA port (also used MB or GPU DVI-D)
    Keyboard: Logitech MK120 USB (also tried a friend's keyboard of another brand and an old Dell) - in rear USB2 or front USB3
    Mouse: Logitech USB - in rear USB2

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Can't enter BIOS setup

Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I would suggest trying to clear the cmos. First power off the system, switch off the psu and remove the power cord from the back. On the motherboard press and hold the clr cmos button for 5 - 10 sec. Reconnect everything When you power on you should be presented with a screen with a couple of options. One of those should be to load optimized defaults and reboot. Choose that and see if you can enter bios. If not one of the other options is to enter setup which is the bios, choose that. Once in press ESC key to exit out of 3d mode, go over the last menu on the right and scroll down and chose load optimized defaults. Before saving changes make sure usb keyboard and mouse support are set to enabled, Dont make any other changes at this time. Try to renter bios again, if you can make any further changes need or maybe at this point update bios if need which is most likely.

You can find the must up to date bios for your board here http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html

Also if you are using a dedicated gpu, you must connect the monitor to that to be able to see bios splash screen.

Thank you for providing a detailed list of your hardware and filling out your PC specs.
    Last edited by Acebmxer; 10-07-2012 at 02:13 AM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I would suggest trying to clear the cmos. First power off the system, switch off the psu and remove the power cord from the back. On the motherboard press and hold the clr cmos button for 5 - 10 sec. Reconnect everything When you power on you should be presented with a screen with a couple of options. One of those should be to load optimized defaults and reboot. Choose that and see if you can enter bios. If not one of the other options is to enter setup which is the bios, choose that. Once in press ESC key to exit out of 3d mode, go over the last menu on the right and scroll down and chose load optimized defaults. Before saving changes make sure usb keyboard and mouse support are set to enabled, Dont make any other changes at this time. Try to renter bios again, if you can make any further changes need or maybe at this point update bios if need which is most likely.

You can find the must up to date bios for your board here http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html

Also if you are using a dedicated gpu, you must connect the monitor to that to be able to see bios splash screen.

Thank you for providing a detailed list of your hardware and filling out your PC specs.
    Thank you for the advice. The measures you suggested still didn't allow me to get into BIOS setup; but I did stumble into a solution. I could see the splash screen with the DVI-D cable attached to either the MB or the GPU. I just couldn't activate any of the splash page options.

Before I built the computer I had downloaded all the latest updates from Gigabyte and MSI onto a flash drive. I previously had made the same flash drive bootable and used it to install an updated Linux distro onto a netbook. I never had gotten around to deleting the Linux files. I put the flash drive into the new computer with the plan of installing the updates if I could get past the splash screen. I restarted the computer without removing the flash drive, and it promptly booted into a Linux desktop. Encouraged that there was no apparent motherboard hardware problem, I tried removing the GPU card and found that hitting the Delete key while in the splash screen actually started BIOS setup. After I used QFlash to update from the file on my flash drive, I was able to install Windows with no further problem. I reinstalled the GPU, connected the monitor to it, and booted normally into Windows. Now after only 86 Windows updates I'm installing my programs.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Glad to hear you did get it working. So now you can enter bios everything at startup?
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    Glad to hear you did get it working. So now you can enter bios everything at startup?
    Yes, as long as I can hit that DEL key fast enough with the quick boot time. I have only the long process of installing all my software to deal with now.

Thread Information