Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte HD 7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD DVI connection causes screen to blink on and off.

cliffro is offline Junior Member

Unhappy [SOLVED]Gigabyte HD 7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD DVI connection causes screen to blink on and off.

Okay, I purchased the GV-R795WF3-3GD Sept. 30th and I received it Oct. 4th. I installed it after thoroughly cleaning my old Nvidia drivers out.

Upon install of 12.8 Catalyst drivers and a reboot, once Windows was loaded, the monitor started switching back and forth from on to standby whenever just about any program was open on that monitor. If I open Firefox it does it really bad, CCC is similar. Once I move the window to my second monitor which is connected to my i5 2500K via motherboard VGA port, it ceases.

Ok so now I figured it was a driver issue, uninstalled 12.8 and installed 12.9. Load Windows and no change. I then shutdown, swapped dvi cable to secondary monitor and the onboard, and the vga cable to the 7950/primary via adapter. Again no change. I got an HDMI cable and tried it with my primary monitor, success it stops doing it. So I requested an RMA from Amazon, got the replacement next day, and installed it, no change. It still blinks on and off with DVI and stops once I change to HDMI after powering down of course.

I'll admit I did not reinstall the drivers, figuring it was the card, and with them being the same model with identical clock speeds etc that it wouldn't matter.

Should I try reinstalling the drivers, also running Driver Sweeper before reinstalling? Or Try a new DVI cable. My cable is a Single Link cable that came with my secondary monitor. The cable works fine with the other monitor(when I swapped them) when connected to the motherboard and also worked great with my old Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti(minutes before installing this card). Maybe even try using my secondary monitor with the 7950 on the off chance the card(s) don't like my primary monitor AND the cable.

I'm trying to figure out the issue, obviously it's not the card. Both perform great. And I actually feel bad that Amazon wasted money sending me a replacement via Next Day shipping. And will most likely lose money selling the card I send back, since they will have to sell it as open box or used.

Input, and suggestions are much appreciated.

This is a copy+paste from a post I made on the UK Gigabyte forums on the 7th. I've since ordered a Dual Link DVI cable on the off chance that my Single Link DVI cable is the issue, though I am still waiting for it to arrive.

My specs are in the drop down below my name.

Edit
    300+ reads no input....wow I'm not very impressed with Gigabyte's support thus far.

Turns out the Gigabyte 7950 doesn't like my Single Link DVI cable that still works via other cards/video devices. The DL DVI cable I ordered came yesterday, I just hooked it up a few moments ago, it works. So this card just cost me another 12.95.
    Last edited by cliffro; 10-13-2012 at 11:18 PM.

cliffro is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Gigabyte HD 7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD DVI connection causes screen to blink on and off.

As I said above, this is solved. My card doesn't like my Single Link DVI cable that works just fine with my Nvidia card this card replaced, and the Intel HD 3000 on my i5 2500K/P8Z68-V.

-1 for Gigabyte "Support"
    Last edited by cliffro; 10-13-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Thread Information