Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Major problems with the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board

Default Re: Major problems with the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy1978 View Post
    I have ssd ocz agility4 .
    I know you are having a lot of the same issues, but I would try the SSD in a different PC as a secondary drive and test it. looking at reviews from Newegg and other sites that SSD has a 50/50 failure rate. some of the blue screens you are experiencing could be due to a failing SSD.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

@Lemmy1978 - What did Gigabyte say to you in regards to the throttling issues? Did they give any response? Can you post the answer here?

psyclist is offline Junior Member

Frig, So back story I am currently running a Z68X-UD4-B3 and a 2600k, Gigabyte promised a UFEI bios that was compatible with both SB and IVB ...this was back in august, still havent got it working correctly, no load line calibration for SB processors now...SO i decided to jump on to the X79 train and picked up this board in hopes that it would have better support as it is one of their flagship offerings and current. But from reading this and other posts, it seems gigabyte as a whole has really slipped and it too busy releasing new products and not bothering to do proper validation at any level. Ive used gigabyte boards for years, but it looks as though they have lost their direction ans as a result will lose the user base. Enthusiast are your greatest source of advertisement Gigabyte, ignore us and you will lose not just one customer but everyone I talk to and build computers for will not use your products from now on. Im sick of fighting with buggy and incomplete bios's, I think its time to jump ship... Get your sh1t together and treat your customers with some respect.

So I did some more testing and started to observe something interesting in regards to throttling. It appears that the chip starts to throttle when it hits some "magic" power ceiling of about 190W. Now this "ceiling" looks to be what the specific chip is willing to take from the factory and will vary from chip to chip. My theory is that the board is not capable of exceeding this "factory" limitation of the chip because the board is not fully compatible with the chip and/or the power/current limits settings in the UEFI BIOS simply have no effect to raise the "factory" limits.

This is how I set up my test and what I stipulated (quoted from Overclock.net where I did the tests).

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh
    Based on my theory above, I will perform three test to validate it. The list of tests and the expected outcome is shown below.

1. First test will be multiplier at 41x. The chip will be stressed with LinX (higher power draw than Prime95 27.7 small FFT). I expect that the chip will not throttle at this speed since it will stay just below the ~190W mark.
    2. Second test will be multiplier at 42x. The chip will be stressed with LinX (higher power draw than Prime95 27.7 small FFT). I expect that the chip will throttle at this speed down to 41x since it will exceed the ~190W mark. It will not throttle further as 41x is sufficient to keep the power envelope within ~190W.
    3. After (2) above fails, I will test the same 42x multiplier but this time with Prime95 27.7 small FFT. I expect that the chip will not throttle as the power envelope will remain below ~190W (similar power as in test (1) above).
    And now the results, as posted on Overclock.net here Review of GIGABYTE's 2nd Gen. X79 Workstation MB: X79S-UP5

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh
    Looks like I confirmed my theory outlined above. See screenshots below and pay attention to my comments in below and in the screenshots, as well as the highlighted areas in the screenshots.

First up, LinX at 4.1GHz. Approximate power is 188W, the chip does not throttle as we are not hitting the ~190W "ceiling".

Next up, LinX at 4.2GHz. Power is exceeding ~190W and the chip is throttling very lightly to 41x (4.1GHz) to maintain the power at the ~190W "ceiling".

Finally, Prime95 27.7 at 4.2GHz. As expected the power is not exceeding 188W and the chip is not throttling as we are not hitting the ~190W "ceiling".

So there you go folks...the board is not compatible with this chip, at least not for overclocking and/or the CPU power/current settings have no effect what so ever to raise the factory limits of the chip. Whichever it is, the board cannot exceed whatever factory limitation the chip has internally. There are no settings that allow you to do this that actually work. I suspect that this is what Sin0822 meant when he posted a while back that the board does not fully support this chip (not his exact words, but the point was there).
    These are very depressing results indeed and I do not understand why this cannot be fixed quickly.
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Heard from Gigabyte again. They have reproduced the problem but are trying to claim that it is a "one off only affecting C2 chips over 4.4GHz". This is not true as I and others have already indicated in many of my test results. Here is a screenshot of their response to me and my response back to them. I may be getting a BIOS to test that is supposed to resolve this issue, but I certainly do not want any "one off custom BIOS" only for me.

well put

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    well put
    Vin
    Thanks...here is the response...I really feel like I am talking to a wall...I keep saying, "there is a problem with your freaking board and here is proof" and what I am getting back is "oh, there is a problem with our board? can you show us?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

And here are the results that I just uploaded to them as well...

First, no throttle at stock...low voltage.

Next, throttle at stock, increased voltage.

And finally, once again throttle at 4.1GHz.
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-05-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Here is the latest update that I sent to Gigabyte...

First in text format...

Hi there,

I'm writing one more note to you in relation to the throttling problem that all users are experiencing with the GA-X79S-UP5 board and Core i7 3930K C2 stepping processors (very likely all C2 processors and possibly other processors are affected as well).

I have reviewed the specifications for both the IR3550 power MOSFETs found here https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/...oductID=IR3550 and the Intel voltage specifications found here under section 7.4, table 7-8 http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc...heet-vol-1.pdf and have come to the following conclusion.

First, we take the following data.

1. The IR3550 are rated at maximum output of 60A per stage as per the datasheet.
    2. The Vcc MAX for SB-E chips is rated at 1.4V.

Next, from the data above, we can extrapolate that the maximum power should be set at 672W (84W per stage derived from 1.4V * 60A). If you want to "play it safe" you could set the maximum power to be limited to 20% less than this, or 538W (~67W per stage derived from 1.4V * 48A).

There is absolutely no reason for the ridiculously low hard-coded limits that are currently built into the UEFI BIOS as per information provided to me in email ID 1293966. Based on what you have told me in that email, the limits are currently set at 25A per stage at 1.4V output, which is only 40% of the capacity of the VRM. I have actually calculated that they are even lower capping the total current output per stage to approximately 17.9A and total power output to approximately 200W.

Please let me know when you will have a UEFI BIOS released that raises the current and power limits to an acceptable level of 384 Amps and 538 Watts. This is still well below your "safe" thresholds and should allow this board to function properly with K-type unlocked processors (C2 stepping and others).

Once the UEFI BIOS firmware has been corrected to set the appropriate current and power limits (384 Amps and 538 Watts respectively) are tested to work correctly, you should update the Turbo Power Limit (Watts) setting and the Core Current Limit (Amps) setting in the "Advanced CPU Core Features" to correspond to these limits. This would allow the end user to control what they wish to be the cap for the current and power on the board, while still making sure that the overall current and power thresholds do not exceed the maximum safe values that are built into the firmware.

Let me know when a fixed UEFI BIOS will be available and please feel free to share it with me for testing.

Thanks,

Dejan
    And a confirmation of the note being sent to Gigabyte...

No resolution yet...still waiting on Gigabyte to respond. There are now more users starting to come forward with this problem, all experiencing the exact same symptoms.

So after some serious struggling in communication over the last few days here's what I got...

Gigabyte sent me a new BIOS (F4t with customer code JZ - not sure what that means) that supposedly removes the power limits, well, so I am assuming anyway since they did not say much except for "try this BIOS". Unfortunately it is also throttling as you can see here.

Please test the BIOS from here and reply with your results. This fixes nothing for me.

BIOS download link - https://www.box.com/s/gkjdx80r964ukmuf564a

Best part about it, the BIOS above is a full week old, one week! They just responded to me today with it, and it fixes nothing. What the hell really?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information