Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Major problems with the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board

Unhappy Major problems with the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board

Hi guys,

I am having lots of major bugs with my new setup. A couple of days ago I bought a brand new GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board to pair with my Core i7 3930K C2 and so far the board has proven not to be able to handle all slots filled with 2133MHz DRAM (same DRAM works in competitors boards). Filling all slots with 2133MHz DRAM results in a boot loop with no POST. Removing 4 slots and going down to just 4 slots used runs fine. Dropping frequency with all 8 slots to 1866MHz works fine. This same DRAM works correctly in a Rampage IV Extreme with the same chip at the rated 2133MHz speed.

More importantly, the board is not capable of overclocking at all. Testing with a known good i7 3930K C2 chip (verified with competitors boards) here are the results of attempting to overclock to 4.4GHz using a 44x multiplier.

1. Disable all Turbo features and all power saving features and set multiplier to 44x.

Expected result: CPU running at 4.4GHz
    Actual result: CPU running at 3.2GHz

2. Disable all Turbo features and all power saving features and set multiplier to 45x.

Expected result: CPU running at 4.5GHz
    Actual result: CPU running at 3.8GHz at boot only, then at 3.2GHz in Windows.

3. Enable all Turbo features and all power saving features but increase the power envelope to the maximum and set multiplier to 44x.

Expected result: CPU running at 4.4GHz with no throttling except when idle.
    Actual result: CPU running at 4.4GHz at idle, and throttling when under load.

4. Enable all Turbo features and disable all power saving features and set multiplier to 44x.

Expected result: CPU running at 4.4GHz with no throttling at all.

5. Enable all Turbo features, set maximum turbo multiplier for each core at 44x and disable all power saving features and set global multiplier to 44x.

Expected result: CPU running at 4.4GHz with no throttling at all.

When the chip starts throttling the BCLK is also not holding perfectly steady at 100MHz but goes down by about 1-2MHz as reported by CPU-Z. Temperatures are under control completely, and the chip itself is cooled by a dedicated HW Labs BI GTX480 radiator and an EK Supreme HF block. Voltages appear not to have any bearing on anything so far which is consistent with the fact that the board is not actually allowing the chip to overclock.

Other users have also reported problems overclocking with this board, and there is at least one other individual with the same symptoms here Review of GIGABYTE's 2nd Gen. X79 Workstation MB: X79S-UP5

Finally, there have been reports of PLL voltage not being adjustable (it is adjustable in UEFI BIOS but the setting is never applied). I have not personally been able to test this as I am not able to overclock at all anyway, but there is another bug that was reported by several people.

Details of my setup:
    Intel Core i7 3930K C2 (SROKY), using latest F4n UEFI BIOS (other UEFI BIOS versions exhibit the same problems)
    Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
    Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 8x4GB 2133MHz DRAM running at 1866MHz (board limitation when running all 8 slots)
    Custom watercooling for the whole system

Can anyone help to resolve these issues. I feel that this board has a tremendous amount of potential, but not being able to overclock at all, and not being able to utilize memory correctly at rates speeds kind of makes any features available pretty insignificant.
    Last edited by dejanh; 11-01-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: bold the test cases

Default Re: Major problems with the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board

cpu only throttles with cpu voltage set to normal and using offset

are you raising the cpu thermal limits in the bios? this might throttle the speed due to thermal limits being reached?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    cpu only throttles with cpu voltage set to normal and using offset

are you raising the cpu thermal limits in the bios? this might throttle the speed due to thermal limits being reached?
    Can you please explain the first part of your comment - cpu only throttles with cpu voltage set to normal and using offset - I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by this...I also believe that the voltage was initially set at "Auto" only. This is how I overclock when I just kick things off. I need to see the limits of the board and how the chip is behaving on it. However, since clock is not taking I got nowhere at all.

As for the CPU thermal limits in the BIOS, if you look at my scenarios above, you will notice that I have tried both disabling all thermal management and maxing out the limits to no effect. Even after doing all of that the CPU still throttled.
    Last edited by dejanh; 11-01-2012 at 04:04 AM.

to unlock dvid you have to set the cpu voltage to normal,if you use a fixed voltage the cpu wont throttle at idle,makesure you set 44x or whatever multi and set each turbo limit to the same 44x or whatever multi you want to clock to
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

to unlock dvid you have to set the cpu voltage to normal,if you use a fixed voltage the cpu wont throttle at idle,makesure you set 44x or whatever multi and set each turbo limit to the same 44x or whatever multi you want to clock to
    So you are saying that the throttling is due to the fact that I am letting the board use "Auto" for voltage instead of setting it manually?! This, if true, is absolutely nuts. I will definitely test it out tonight if this is what you are saying. Why would the voltage have anything to do with throttling is beyond me though. Can you explain the reasoning behind this or point me to some source where I can read about it? Also, since I am using an unlocked processor (i7 3930K) why do I even need to have "Turbo" enabled? Logically, I should be able to disable it all together, then set the multiplier I want on the chip and have the chip run at that clock. However, if I do this (as you can see in my original post in test scenarios (1) and (2)) the board just either defaults to the stock clock (i.e., 3.2GHz) or worse yet does a bump to 3.8GHz at boot, and then reports as 3.2GHz in Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    So you are saying that the throttling is due to the fact that I am letting the board use "Auto" for voltage instead of setting it manually?! This, if true, is absolutely nuts. I will definitely test it out tonight if this is what you are saying. Why would the voltage have anything to do with throttling is beyond me though. Can you explain the reasoning behind this or point me to some source where I can read about it? Also, since I am using an unlocked processor (i7 3930K) why do I even need to have "Turbo" enabled? Logically, I should be able to disable it all together, then set the multiplier I want on the chip and have the chip run at that clock. However, if I do this (as you can see in my original post in test scenarios (1) and (2)) the board just either defaults to the stock clock (i.e., 3.2GHz) or worse yet does a bump to 3.8GHz at boot, and then reports as 3.2GHz in Windows.
    it could be,auto isnt advised anyway when overclocking just set normal and add axtra voltage at load with dvid,as for ram it could be bios issue,ive managed to run mine at 2133mhz fine with new bios(different model mb )
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Alright, I will test out this scenario tonight as well, but I have a feeling that we'll just end up ruling out yet another possibility. I will report back with my results. As for the memory, I am convinced it is the UEFI BIOS that is causing a problem since dumping 4 sticks makes it possible to run 2133MHz without a single adjustment to voltage, whether it be DRAM, IMC, or VTT. In all, I am pretty sure that all of these issues are a result of broken UEFI BIOS implementation, for the throttling/incorrect clock being set I am inclined to think that it is broken Turbo and TDP limiter, and for the memory, the timings are busted.

It's usually needing more dram voltage with 16gb,1.5-1.65v and maybe one/two clicks more qpi/vtt voltage
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

It's usually needing more dram voltage with 16gb,1.5-1.65v and maybe one/two clicks more qpi/vtt voltage
    Like I said, no problems running 16GB, it's 32GB where the board chokes because of bad implementation of the UEFI BIOS. No amount of voltage helps, though cranking it big time and really loosening the timings will at least allow the board to POST, but then it fails. Going back to the main problem however...I just posted this update on OCN, but this is definitely a good spot for it.

I have done some more extensive testing now (tried everything on manual too to no effect) and I am convinced that the TDP limiter of some sort is kicking in causing the processor to downclock. How did I determine that? Read on and keep in mind all tests were done with the chip clocked to 4.4GHz (100MHz x 44), all throttling and power control set to disabled in the BIOS, all C-states disabled in the BIOS as well (I tried with stuff enabled too and the behavior is the same).

First I ran Cinebench, and the clock does not flinch at all. It stays solid at 4.4GHz for the whole run and the results correspond to it (~12.5pts at 4.4GHz). This is consistent with Cinebench load which is not that high computationally even though usage is at 100%.

Next I ran LinX and set the memory to use to approximately ~5GB in one test and at full 32GB in the second test and then monitored the load. While the memory is filling up the clock is solid at 4.4GHz. As soon as the memory is all loaded and high computational load kicks in, the throttling starts. The time before the throttling kicks in exactly corresponds to the second when the LinX process changes from loading data into memory to performing calculations.

Ok, at this point things are really pointing towards a TDP limitation of some sort, but I decided to test further so I decided to do an even more controlled test.

I loaded up Prime95 and limited the number of threads to 4. No throttling as you can see below.

Then I decided to set the number of threads to 8. Throttling starts, but it is not quite so aggressive yet as you can see below.

Finally, I decided to go all out with 12 threads. Not only is the throttling kicking in majorly, but it is pretty much constantly throttling the chip as you can see below and very aggressively too.

For the record, I have seen this behavior before...a long time ago when the first Nehalem chips came out. Asus botched their implementation of the Turbo feature and TDP limits. That is why this tool came out i7 Turbo - Tool to test for Turbo throttling [Archive] - XtremeSystems Forums after I and a few others worked with Asus to get the issue resolved (initially in that case I was also convinced that there was no problem and that everything worked "as designed"). In that case things were a bit better because even though the chip would throttle when using Turbo and exceeding TDP threshold at least fixed multipliers worked with Turbo disabled and were unaffected by the TDP limit. In this case we do not have any recourse. In fact, fixed multipliers without Turbo enabled do not even work on this board at all. The board always just defaults to running the chip at 3.2GHz if Turbo is disabled which is so plain-as-day majorly broken it is almost comical. The good thing about this problem however is that it is something very specific and as such it is something that Gigabyte should be able to fix faster than they can diagnose and fix the Turbo throttling issue.

For some more reading see the following thread on XS Asus P6T / Rampage II Extreme: no "CPU VR Current Override" ???

Eventually, in that case Asus added a fix for the TDP limit issue in BIOS 1104 and everything was resolved. No more throttling at all.

I really hope that this is useful information to bring forward. This should be an easy problem to fix, and for that matter even reproduce. Fire up latest CPU-Z then just grab a Version 1.0 GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board, plop in an i7 3930K SROKY, crank the multiplier to 44x, then boot Windows 7 (or Windows 8) and run 64-bit version of Prime95 Blend with all cores/threads used (in this case 12), then watch the board throttle. It will do it like clockwork. The other one is even easier. Disable all turbo and power management features, then set the multiplier to 44x and watch the CPU load up at measly 3.2GHz as though no adjustments to the clock speed were made.

Anyone from Gigabyte planning to reply to this thread? I have also submitted a support query 2 days ago via their official support website and no reply to that one either. What gives?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information