Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MA-785GT-UD3H NorthBridge Temps too high?

Default MA-785GT-UD3H NorthBridge Temps too high?

Hi,

I own a MA-785GT-UD3H mobo with a 555BE. My case is an In Win Dragon Rider, which has an awesome thermal performance. My CPU idles around room temp +1C and peaks around 38-40C under prime95 load on summer, with stock heatsink/fan. I'm saying all that to avoid the classic answer "low case airflow".

At stock clocks, my Motherboard temp shows around 25-32C idle (depending if its summer/winter and time since last dust cleaning) and goes up to 52-65C with prime95 load (depending if its summer/winter and time since last dust cleaning), which considering the good airflow of my case, it seems too high.

-First of all, What is the max temp recommended for the NB chipset? Is it a general value for every NB, is it chipset specific or chipset+mobo manufacturer specific?

-I've searched many times information about this and I have read many times people saying NB chipsets can run very high temperatures because they are regular silicon chips, instead of germanium dopped ones which are more sensible to high temps, allowing them to safely operate over 80C, even at 95-105C with just a small lifespan drop and they get destroyed around 125C. Is that information true?

-Another important thing is that the 785G chipset has an integrated GPU, which I'm not using (disabled). Maybe because of its specific design that it runs hotter than a normal NB (one without a GPU on it), considering that HD4000 series can operate in the 70-90C range and I personally have a friend running his HD4890 around 95C for a couple of years and its still working fine. Maybe that is what happens?

-Or may it be the sensor?, that it is not working fine...
    In this case, is there any solution? (like applying an offset or finding a relation with another temp that increase proportionally or...)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Default Re: MA-785GT-UD3H NorthBridge Temps too high?

I just build a AMD 970 series for my folks and found the NB temps to very high as well idle temps were like 60 degrees. I added a tiny 40x40mm 4000RPM fan to the heatsink that helped my temps by nearly 10 degrees.

I left it at that.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

I guess I have found the problem indirectly :P

I bought a new CPU cooler (Mugen 3 rev B) to push my unlocked CPU to over 4 GHz (still working on it). After mounting it, I started windows and run some test to see how the cooler was doing. My surprise is that the core temps were not the only ones that dropped, the motherboard temperature also went down.

Now motherboard temps are ambient + 3-5C on idle and 42-46C under prime95 load.

I'm saying this because I think it might help others:

In my opinion, what was happening is that the AMD stock cooler was pushing hot air from the CPU to the NB chipset because of its blowing direction (perpendicular to the motherboard, so hot air spreads over the components 360 around the CPU), causing those high temperatures, so mounting a CPU cooler with airflow parallel to the motherboard (which is how work almost all aftermarket coolers) helped not just the CPU temp but the NB chipset temp too.

on my build I used a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo... kept CPU at amazing temps (45-55 C Loaded) but not my case for a hot NB

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Thread Information