Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS update issue

Default BIOS update issue

Hi
    I have a GA-X58-USB3(rev. 1.0) board running BIOS Ver F2 - had problems with the NVIDIA card and was advsied to update the BIOS using @BIOS. Did this and BIOS updated to F4 ok but windows 7 wont start - stop error 0x0000007b. I have tried changing the settigns for the drive in the BIOS - used RAID, ATA and ACHI - everytime i get the same stop error when loading windows. booted from windows CD and tried to do repair - still same error

i dont know what BIOS settings were for the hard drive before the update - i just know its 2 SATA drives mirrored - when BIOS is set to RAID I get an error saying bootmanager is missing

really appreciate any help

thanks
    Sue

Default Re: BIOS update issue

you might need a few attempts to repair the startup with the windows disk,usually it takes 3 or 4 tries
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you change from what ever to RAID, you have to reboot and then go back in to the Bios a second time then update the Boot Disk order.

Then you can select to boot from the RAID array.

if you don't do this and just select RAID, the raid has not started or populated in the boot order...

at least this is what I had bound with my X58-UD5.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

thanks Vin - the computer was working fine (2 x 1.5Tb drives in raid) but getting occasional NVIDIA errors - NVIDIA recommended upgrading the BIOS to current version - Gigabyte told me to do this using @BIOS - since then cannot boot into windows 7

In the BIOS I set this to RAID and selected first boot drive as hard drive

booted to the windows 7 DISK and ran repair and chkdsk (lots of errors)

now ive broken the array and removed one of the drives - array at boot shows as degraded

windows 7 still wont boot and now just getting flashing cursor....argh....

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    When you change from what ever to RAID, you have to reboot and then go back in to the Bios a second time then update the Boot Disk order.

Then you can select to boot from the RAID array.

if you don't do this and just select RAID, the raid has not started or populated in the boot order...

at least this is what I had bound with my X58-UD5.

Vin

if you can live without the data, for a test, keep your bios configured as a RAID, but in your raid configuration break the raid and delete the association and try the windows installation with just a single disk.

a RAID not working can be due to bad Raid FW, Bad RAID Initialization, Bad Cable, Bad Disk, Disk with unidentified bad clusters... so a lot of things, having the MB assigned as raid but not having an array assigned will test the fact that the raid controller's software is intact. see if you can install windows.

if your data is precious, then re-flash your MB with an older BIOS (or your original) re-create the raid and get your data off. your Bios is smaller than 2MB so I would just use the built in Flash Bios utility that is available in the Bios (Q-Flash)

Now how did you get the F4 Bios? it's not available from the gigabyte site... looks like they skipped it... F3 then F5.... no F4... maybe it was a bad Bios...?

Link to your MB Download page; GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0)

Vin
    Last edited by Vinster; 12-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

Hi Vin appreciate your reply

when i ran @BIOS the only version it came back with to install was F4 - there were no options

to be clear I dont want to install windows - i just want to get the system operating - lots of programs installed and i dont really want to rebuild....

Sue

if you can live without the data, for a test, keep your bios configured as a RAID, but in your raid configuration break the raid and delete the association and try the windows installation with just a single disk.

a RAID not working can be due to bad Raid FW, Bad RAID Initialization, Bad Cable, Bad Disk, Disk with unidentified bad clusters... so a lot of things, having the MB assigned as raid but not having an array assigned will test the fact that the raid controller's software is intact. see if you can install windows.

if your data is precious, then re-flash your MB with an older BIOS (or your original) re-create the raid and get your data off. your Bios is smaller than 2MB so I would just use the built in Flash Bios utility that is available in the Bios (Q-Flash)

Now how did you get the F4 Bios? it's not available from the gigabyte site... looks like they skipped it... F3 then F5.... no F4... maybe it was a bad Bios...?

Link to your MB Download page; GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0)

Vin

ok just been looking at this again - your right Vin there is no version F4 on their web site for this board - wierd - I just checked and the bios ver is very defintely F4.

I had planned to update the BIOS directly from the BIOS but it wouldnt recognise/boot from USB drive no matter what I did - hence I used the windows based @BIOS and this just picked up the version it installed - i was not prompted with a choice

so i thought i would install a 3.5 inch floppy drive and flash the BIOS to version F3 (this had to be better than F2 that was on there) - but now i find the board dosent have the 3.5 inch floppy drive connector on.....so i am kinda stuffed unless anyone has any ideas please? i dont even know if moving to F3 will fix my windows boot problem. should i try to rebuilt the array under control I at boot up - or will this erase my data (which dont want to do - I have back up but would like to get windows back up and running as lots of programs installed)

argh help ....

thanks
    Sue

ok just made a USB boot disk and downloaded BIOS version F3 and tried to update using QFLASH and also FLASHSPI - in both cases I am getting a file size incorrect error - have downloaded this 3 times now from the Gigabyte web site.... this just sucks....

I think you will have to use @Bios again, I stayed away from it like the plague, but I remember reading a long time ago that once it was used you had to stick with it. My understanding at the time was because all the subsequent bioses thereafter would had been larger than 2MB. but seeing as you are not able to flash with Q-Flash maybe you'll also have to stick with @Bios.

Another option if flashing to the older Bios is a bust, that Motherboard has a Dual Bios in case the primary becomes corrupted. there is a thread here somewhere that describes how to force a boot from the secondary bios. Normally it happens automatically if the Primary has a checksum error. the second bios would be your original or previous bios. That could also be an option, but that option has risks if you have shaky hands.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

Thanks Vin for your reply - you were correct re the file size but i did manage to flash the bios to F5C using Q Flash even tho I had used @BIOS (which i will never ever use again!!!)

issue closed.....thanks to all that replied

I am re-installing windows (not good but solution at least)

re the below issue and error - I had version F4 on the BIOS and this file size was larger than F3 Bios file size - you cant go backwards! I ended up installing F5C

I think you will have to use @Bios again, I stayed away from it like the plague, but I remember reading a long time ago that once it was used you had to stick with it. My understanding at the time was because all the subsequent bioses thereafter would had been larger than 2MB. but seeing as you are not able to flash with Q-Flash maybe you'll also have to stick with @Bios.

Another option if flashing to the older Bios is a bust, that Motherboard has a Dual Bios in case the primary becomes corrupted. there is a thread here somewhere that describes how to force a boot from the secondary bios. Normally it happens automatically if the Primary has a checksum error. the second bios would be your original or previous bios. That could also be an option, but that option has risks if you have shaky hands.

Vin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information