Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-990FXA-D3 Won't boot with ram in dual channel

Shnag is offline Junior Member

Default GA-990FXA-D3 Won't boot with ram in dual channel

Hi,

I recently had this problem.

Ended up taking my computer to the local repair guys who managed to get the computer to boot by taking one stick of ram out the B1 and one out of the B2 (one white and one blue socket). The computer now booted but the ram was not running in dual channel. They told me the B1 and B2 ram sockets were kaput on the ASRock Mobo.

I tried all the ram combinations on that mobo before i took it in and had no luck but they got it working so i believed them, about 2 days later i got a BSOD and the computer wouldn't boot again.

Ended up buying a Gigabyte 990FXA D3 Mobo.

Now i can get the computer to boot but only if i use the DDR3_4 and DDR3_2 sockets (one white and one blue) so no dual channel.

If i try using the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 the computer wont post and i get 3 long beeps.

System specs are as follows

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3
    AMD Phenom ii x 4 965 BE CPU
    4 x 2 gig G.Skill DDR3-1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    HIS Radeon HD 6850
    Antec TruePower 650W PSU
    1 TB Samsung F3 HD
    Windows 7
    Last edited by Shnag; 01-23-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Stuffed up ram sockets

Default Re: GA-990FXA-D3 Won't boot with ram in dual channel

As I implied in that other thread, now I'm even more convinced.

Run MemTest86+(<-Link) on the memory. My guess is you're going to find one(or more) bad sticks.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Talking Re: GA-990FXA-D3 Won't boot with ram in dual channel

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    As I implied in that other thread, now I'm even more convinced.

Run MemTest86+(<-Link) on the memory. My guess is you're going to find one(or more) bad sticks.
    Actually I purchased a Gigabyte board before and loaded the channels up with memory, it would only start with one channel loaded. After banging my head against the wall, I took the newly assembled rig back to the store where the lead tech explained that it just needed a BIOS update. 5 minutes later, my board was up and running. Something to try! :D

Shnag, what version of this board do you have? Version 1.0, v1.1, or v3? The version will be printed in the lower left corner, along the same edge as the mb's rear I/O ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Novlesky View Post
    Actually I purchased a Gigabyte board before and loaded the channels up with memory, it would only start with one channel loaded. After banging my head against the wall, I took the newly assembled rig back to the store where the lead tech explained that it just needed a BIOS update. 5 minutes later, my board was up and running. Something to try! :D
    Considering the history behind these parts, the previous problems, and the now current problems, I can't nor wouldn't suggest the OP flash the BIOS himself. Not till it's stable anyways.

A 2700km ride in the trunk of his vehicle and now this same memory is also exhibiting somewhat the same bad behavior in this new Gigabyte board isn't promising. It could be many issues, but something is plainly amiss here. I'm focusing and or considering the common parts used with his old board and now the new one.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Shnag, what version of this board do you have?
    In the middle of memtest right now. I couldn't do it on my old board because it wouldn't post at all. So far 2 sticks of ram have passed, testing the last 2 now.

Mobo is V 1.1

I have a personal preference for letting MemTest run for 8-9 passes and have seen errors not occur until passes 7,8, and even 9.

What I see others post regularly is 2-3 passes.

These 4(?) sticks, I'm guessing they're from 2 kits of 2 sticks each. Were they running w/o issue before the road trip?

Ran it twice for the first 2 sticks. Will run them overnight tonight.

The computer was working fine before its ride in the car.

The 4 sticks of ram came in 2 different sets, same make and model but made about a year apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnag View Post
    Ran it twice for the first 2 sticks. Will run them overnight tonight.
    And ...........?? How's things there?

Sorry about the slow reply, i just became a dad .

Turns out that one of the bolts that connects the mobo to the case had come loose and was causing the ram issues. I tightened it and everything is working fine.

Got me thinking that maybe my ASRock mobo was working and it was just the loose bolt so i put it back in my computer and had the same problems.

Funny that the ASRock mobo and my Gigabyte mobo were having the same problems but a different cause.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Thumbs up Re: GA-990FXA-D3 Won't boot with ram in dual channel

Congratulations Dad
    at least the most important thing went right!!

I always build and test my systems with the motherboard outside of the computer case.
    When I'm ready to test the system, I put the motherboard on top of a cardboard box, beside the computer case, and connect wires and cables.

There are a number of things that can go wrong when the motherboard is mounted in the case, including motherboard standoff problems, I/O rear panel fitment or short circuits, misalignment with the case, add-in cards that don't seat properly and electrical wire connections or short circuits. One forum member's system wouldn't post because the front panel RESET switch was stuck in the closed position.

Don't ever put an anti-static bag under the motherboard when the board is powered because the outside of the bag is electrically conductive, and so is an anti-static mat.
    Last edited by profJim; 02-06-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information