Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multipliers and Overclocking 0n a GA-990FXA-UD3

Question Multipliers and Overclocking 0n a GA-990FXA-UD3

I have a GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1 with the F9 Bios,
    I am trying to get my 4 Crucial Tracers DDR3-1866 somewhere up around the 1866.
    I also have a FX-8350 CPU
    Right now I have the board running at these clocks
    I have the CPU Multiplier at 19.5
    I have the CPU FSB at 220
    which gives me 4290Mhz on the CPU and runs the memory at DDR3-1760
    I had the FSB up to 225 which gave me DDR3-1800 but I had a few crashes.
    I was reading else-where that HyperTransport Clock and the North Bridge Clock should be the same and that they should be somewhere around 2600Mhz.
    This is where I get a little confused. My HyperTransport Clock is set to auto in Bios and AIDA64 tells me it set at 13X and is 2860Mhz, the North Bridge Clock is also on Auto and AIDA64 tells me it set at 11X and is 2420Mhz.
    So I want to up my FSB to 234 and lower my CPU multiplier down to around 18X
    Would I lower the Hyper Transport clock multiplier from 13X to 11X that would give me 234 x 11 = 2574 Mhz
    And leave the North Bridge Clock multiplier at 11 so that it matches the HyperTransport Clock ?
    Thanks for listening.

Default Re: Multipliers and Overclocking 0n a GA-990FXA-UD3

Hi, you might be better served by visiting a AMD processor forum dealing with GB boards... Just a thought...

What Operating System are you using? what are your voltages? can you list them all out please. also what power supply are you using and what cooling method are you using on your CPU? what are your current loaded CPU temps.

So what would you like to achieve as an end result? Memory difference between 1600Mhz, 1866Mhz and 2000Mhz have zero gains on day to day use... only a number when benching it... useless in a 24/7 scenario

so do you want that number because you think your PC will run faster?

also, have you tried running your system at complete stock and just bump your memory multi up to see if your system will run 1866Mhz? I always start there... then bump up your CPU FSB up to see when your system no longer posts.. then you'll know your memory's limit on that board with that CPU... push only the mem as far as you can... maybe even under clock the CPU to make sure you are only stressing the memory....

as for the NB and HT multi's, I have always tried to keep then at stock (clocking the multi down as I increased the FSB) because when OC'ing you only want to focus on 1 thing at a time... when raising your FSB you are increasing 4 things and any one of them could cause instability... focus on 1, for memory use Memtestx86, create a BootCD from the ISO and make sure you don't have issues with that... after a few passed boot in to windows and then run Prime95 Blended Test (default).

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by ibConners View Post
    Hi, you might be better served by visiting a AMD processor forum dealing with GB boards... Just a thought...
    awesome help direction Conners....

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    awesome help direction Conners....

Vin
    Thanks Vin! only suggested because in past experiance here (since 2009) there has been very little if any help requarding AMD processors and GB products. I for one hope this has changed...

Quote Originally Posted by ibConners View Post
    Thanks Vin! only suggested because in past experiance here (since 2009) there has been very little if any help requarding AMD processors and GB products. I for one hope this has changed...
    I have a few AMD GB boards and a handfull of AMD CPU's... I'm no expert. but I've gotten near 5Ghz a few times with older gear... reading I'm doing with the new stuff you can get to 5Ghz on air if your patient and take your time tweaking. but it helps that the new CPU's start near or at 4Ghz....

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

I have a few AMD GB boards and a handfull of AMD CPU's... I'm no expert. but I've gotten near 5Ghz a few times with older gear... reading I'm doing with the new stuff you can get to 5Ghz on air if your patient and take your time tweaking. but it helps that the new CPU's start near or at 4Ghz....

Vin
    Nice Vin...like I said I hope AMD peeps populate these gigabyte boards for AMD help.

What Operating System are you using? what are your voltages? can you list them all out please. also what power supply are you using and what cooling method are you using on your CPU? what are your current loaded CPU temps.

So what would you like to achieve as an end result? Memory difference between 1600Mhz, 1866Mhz and 2000Mhz have zero gains on day to day use... only a number when benching it... useless in a 24/7 scenario

so do you want that number because you think your PC will run faster?

also, have you tried running your system at complete stock and just bump your memory multi up to see if your system will run 1866Mhz? I always start there... then bump up your CPU FSB up to see when your system no longer posts.. then you'll know your memory's limit on that board with that CPU... push only the mem as far as you can... maybe even under clock the CPU to make sure you are only stressing the memory....

as for the NB and HT multi's, I have always tried to keep then at stock (clocking the multi down as I increased the FSB) because when OC'ing you only want to focus on 1 thing at a time... when raising your FSB you are increasing 4 things and any one of them could cause instability... focus on 1, for memory use Memtestx86, create a BootCD from the ISO and make sure you don't have issues with that... after a few passed boot in to windows and then run Prime95 Blended Test (default).

Vin
    I guess I could have given more information, since this does seem to be a Intel Forum.
    When I got this Motherboard from Newegg, Gigabyte claimed it supported DDR3-1866 and it does, but only 1 stick per channel.
    I didn't know this and bought 4 sticks of DDR3-1866. I can run 2 of them at 1866 and pitch the other 2, I guess ..... Thanks Gigabyte or I can up the FSB.
    I didn't post any voltages because they are all stock, I was only asking about the HyperTransport Clock and the North Bridge Clock should they be same.
    I'll post somewhere else ... Thanks

ok then bye

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

For any one interested I found the informtion that I wanted.
    It is a very interesting guide and can be found here :
    Bulldozer Overclocking Guide (Performance Scaling Charts, max OCs)LN2 Results coming!
    Below the chart HT Link Scaling he says :
    "So I am going to suggest, that on air cooling, you take the HT Link to about 2.6-2.8ghz, and either set CPU NB at 2600 or 2400 to match or be close to HTLink."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information