Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 (Samsung SSD connected on Marvel 88E9128 + Microsoft AHCI Driver causes games to freeze)

Default Re: Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 (Samsung SSD connected on Marvel 88E9128 + Microsoft AHCI Driver causes games to freeze)

Quote Originally Posted by Seb89 View Post
    No, I was not able to solve the problems and sent the Samsung 840 Pro back.
    Thanks for the quick reply to this old thread (I just realized my TweakTown notifications aren't making it to my email account). I'm sure there aren't many tweaktown members stilling using this retro hardware.

After about a week of use I haven't had any issues combining the Win7 msahci drivers with the Marvell SATA3 ports. This PC isn't used for any gaming, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing the issues you did (yet anyway). Since pretty much everyone on the Internet seems to hate this Marvell 9128 controller, at the first sign of instability I plan on just moving back to using the AMD SATA2 ports.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 (Samsung SSD connected on Marvel 88E9128 + Microsoft AHCI Driver causes games to freeze)

Quote Originally Posted by Seb89 View Post
    No, I was not able to solve the problems and sent the Samsung 840 Pro back.
    Some months later I got a SSD 840 Evo, which did not have similar issues, I also did not have such a bad performance with the Marvel as far as I remember. But I have already a new system with native SATA-6-Gbit nowadays. My brother is using the Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 now but without a SSD.

Cheers,
    Sebastian
    I can't believe you sent an 840 Pro back because it was not stable on a Marvell SATA controller. It is the Marvell SATA controller and driver that are not stable.

The 840 Pro is one of the highest regarded SSDs in the consumer/PC market. Many SSD enthusiast consider it to be the best SSD ever produced. I own two of them and they have never given me the slightest problem, used as OS drives. But then I would never even consider using them on a Marvell SATA controller.

The Marvell SATA controller is known to be unstable with any drive, and of course is worse with high performance SSDs. My X58 mother board has six Intel SATA II ports, and two Marvell so called "SATA III" (only capable of 5Gb/s, since it is connected to one PCIe lane) ports. Any SSDs I used with that board, whether SATA II or SATA III, were connected to the Intel SATA II ports, since the Marvell SATA chipset cannot be trusted. At that time, TRIM did not work with the Marvell SATA controller, and IMO it is questionable if it even works today.

But the Marvell controller could have degraded a Samsung 840 Pro, since it did not support TRIM, but is that a fault of the SSD? All Intel and AMD SATA controllers support TRIM, and their drivers too.

If you think you must have a SATA III controller to use a SATA III SSD you are wrong, and don't understand SSD performance. You never posted your SATA II benchmark of the 840 Pro, I'm sure it was superior to the Marvell in all aspects, except large file sequential read and write speeds, which are not what makes a SSD superior to a HDD.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jim-j View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply to this old thread (I just realized my TweakTown notifications aren't making it to my email account). I'm sure there aren't many tweaktown members stilling using this retro hardware.

After about a week of use I haven't had any issues combining the Win7 msahci drivers with the Marvell SATA3 ports. This PC isn't used for any gaming, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing the issues you did (yet anyway). Since pretty much everyone on the Internet seems to hate this Marvell 9128 controller, at the first sign of instability I plan on just moving back to using the AMD SATA2 ports.
    Yes, use the AMD SATA II ports, you won't be losing any performance unless you constantly copy multi-gigabyte files between drives, and even then the difference will only be several seconds.

OTOH, if you don't have issues with the Marvell SATA controller, you could use it, but I would compare benchmarks between the two, to see who has the better 4K/small file performance, which is what really matters. I would only use the msahci driver, and verify TRIM is working with the trimcheck program. The Marvell SATA Option ROMs have improved somewhat, although it's hard to know if your board uses the better ones without research.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    OTOH, if you don't have issues with the Marvell SATA controller, you could use it, but I would compare benchmarks between the two, to see who has the better 4K/small file performance, which is what really matters. I would only use the msahci driver, and verify TRIM is working with the trimcheck program. The Marvell SATA Option ROMs have improved somewhat, although it's hard to know if your board uses the better ones without research.
    The Marvell's 4k scores are a little better, its SEQ read is about 100 MB/s faster and trimcheck shows that trim is working correctly. Therefore I'm sticking with the Marvell unless I start having stability issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information