Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z77-UP5-TH SLI issue with GTX680

AnthonyM is offline Junior Member

Default Z77-UP5-TH SLI issue with GTX680

I have search and noticed someone had a similar issue but they had to remove their sound card to solve their issue. Unfortunately I don't have a sound card to remove.

i7-3770k
    32 GB Ram
    1000w PSU

I have 2 MSI GTX 680 Ligtning's that I am trying to SLI. Both show up in Device manager and show in Nivida control panel but NO option to SLI the cards (See image below)
    Let me start off with a bit cause I have tried alot and reverting to different fourms now.

Here is what I have done:
    -Installed current, beta, and old drivers (fresh installs with driver sweeper)
    -Tried 4 different SLI cables
    -Plugged in Sata Power to the ATX4P slot on the Mother board
    -Installed each card individually into each slot to see if they work (They do as single cards)
    -Used a friends MSI GTX 680 lightning edition to try and SLI (still did not work)
    -Did a CMOS reset
    -Updated mobo Bios to F11
    -Updated mobo Bios to 12e Beta
    -Updated the GPU cards to the same current Bios (80.04.47.00.18)
    -Installed one card, rebooted, shutdown, installed 2nd card, rebooted (still nothing)
    -installed both at the same time ( nothing)
    -installed one monitor to one card (top and bottom)
    -installed 2 monitors (2 to 1 and 1 to 1)
    -tried both cards on an ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 board

The only thing I can think of is that PCI-E slots are not running correctly (see GPUZ BUS INTERFACE) One is running at 8x and the other is running at 4x.

Bad board?

Pics below are GPU Z of both cards and a picture of NVIDIA control panel.

Last edited by AnthonyM; 03-13-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Default Re: Z77-UP5-TH SLI issue with GTX680

I don't know why you don't see the option for SLI in the nVidia Control panel, but did you see this note regarding the expansion ports

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
    * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
    * The PCIEX4 slot is available only when an Intel 22nm (Ivy Bridge) CPU is installed.
    * The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX8 and PCIEX16 slots. When the PCIEX4 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode and the PCIEX8 will operate at up to x4 mode.
    (The PCIEX16, PCIEX8, and PCIEX4 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
    * Whether PCI Express 3.0 is supported depends on CPU and graphics card compatibility.
    When you only have 1 card installed does it run at 16x? and do you have anything populating in the 4x slot?

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    I don't know why you don't see the option for SLI in the nVidia Control panel, but did you see this note regarding the expansion ports

When you only have 1 card installed does it run at 16x? and do you have anything populating in the 4x slot?

Vin
    Nothing is in the 3 spot or the 4x spot.

A single card runs @ 8x with no load and @ 8x during furmark 15 minute test. Also, runs @ 8x during GPU-z test as well.

Board issue then huh?
    Last edited by AnthonyM; 03-11-2013 at 03:38 PM.

If the card is in the top PCI-E x16 slot (and you are only running 1 of 2 cards) and it is being read as an 8x card then there is an incompatibility between them. you said you updated the cards to the same firmware revision, have you contacted MSI to see if this is a known issue? maybe they have a newer revision FW for the cards. not saying there isn't something gigabyte could do, I don't know.

and you are using the latest version of GPU-Z.

you have an odd one. I don't have anything else for you to try. in the morning there are more people that should chime in.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

If the card is in the top PCI-E x16 slot (and you are only running 1 of 2 cards) and it is being read as an 8x card then there is an incompatibility between them. you said you updated the cards to the same firmware revision, have you contacted MSI to see if this is a known issue? maybe they have a newer revision FW for the cards. not saying there isn't something gigabyte could do, I don't know.

you have an odd one. I don't have anything else for you to try. in the morning there are more people that should chime in.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

Vin
    Only one Card is in the top slot (16x) running at PCIe 3.0 8x. I have contacted MSI they blame Gigabyte and Gigabyte blames MSI.

I changed a setting on my motherboard to run just GEN 2 (PCIe 2.0) and still no SLI.
    Last edited by AnthonyM; 03-11-2013 at 06:54 PM.

That blows and I don't know what else to say or suggest really, have you disabled the OB iGFX?

I also tried searching an online overclocking community that I am a member of Overclocking, overclocking, and much more! Like overclocking. and cannot find anyone that is running your MB, with any GTX 680's with that CPU

I was hoping to find a submission or something with something close to your HW but can't find anything....

and I'd expect both GA/MSI to point the finger because god forbid they provide an ounce of customer service... you spend $250 on a board and $1000 in GPU's... btw, why didn't you get a GTX690 anyway? really close to 2xGTX680 and uses a little less juice... just wondering...

but the fact that the x16 PCI-E doesn't run at that speed and only 8x is frustrating...

have you done any overclocking? or any voltage adjustments in the bios? Wonder if you were to bump the PCIe voltage up a few ticks if that would make a difference?

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    Storage = 2TB WD Black

HTPC / Home Server
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    PSU = Corsair TX750

That blows and I don't know what else to say or suggest really, have you disabled the OB iGFX?

I also tried searching an online overclocking community that I am a member of Overclocking, overclocking, and much more! Like overclocking. and cannot find anyone that is running your MB, with any GTX 680's with that CPU

I was hoping to find a submission or something with something close to your HW but can't find anything....

and I'd expect both GA/MSI to point the finger because god forbid they provide an ounce of customer service... you spend $250 on a board and $1000 in GPU's... btw, why didn't you get a GTX690 anyway? really close to 2xGTX680 and uses a little less juice... just wondering...

but the fact that the x16 PCI-E doesn't run at that speed and only 8x is frustrating...

have you done any overclocking? or any voltage adjustments in the bios? Wonder if you were to bump the PCIe voltage up a few ticks if that would make a difference?

Vin
    Well I appreciate the fact you are trying to help. I had some help on overclock.net but nothing they suggested worked either and are stumped. Yea, I havent seen many either. I might just have to get a new MOBO and deal with it.
    I bought the first card about 3 months ago and didn't have $1000 just sitting around. Plus I heard 2xGTX 680 in SLI out perform a GTX690 and these being "high end" I figured it would push a little more performance, but I might have to sell this and get a GTX 690 if this is the way things are going.

I have not done any overclocking. This was my first complete build and frankly scared too (too much money in to this thing). I am kinda set up for it with liquid cooling but its only a closed loop system from NZXT (Kraken x60). CPU runs pretty cool at 22c not under load and 37c under load. But still scared too haha.

I did try running the cards in SLI on my friends computer whom has a ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 w/i7-2600k. And they didn't have the SLI option either.
    Last edited by AnthonyM; 03-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.

it can only be a motherboard bios issue,did you contact gigabyte directly and tell them the problem? same issue with sapphire 7850 not working on gigabyte boards,sapphire blamed gigabyte and vice versa

gigabyte needs to look into it and fix it with a beta bios its not rocket science!!!!! come on gigabyte sort it out
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    it can only be a motherboard bios issue,did you contact gigabyte directly and tell them the problem? same issue with sapphire 7850 not working on gigabyte boards,sapphire blamed gigabyte and vice versa

gigabyte needs to look into it and fix it with a beta bios its not rocket science!!!!! come on gigabyte sort it out

I have contacted them and they blame MSI. I have updated to 12e and 13a (both beta bios's or bioes?) and none seem to fix my issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information