Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte ga-x79s-up5 USB 3.0 Issues

Default Re: Gigabyte ga-x79s-up5 USB 3.0 Issues

I took out the Adaptec 5805 raid controller, intel server I340-T4 nic, sound blaster z series. I'm left with nothing installed except the MSI 7970 gpu. Still I'm getting the unknown device problem with the usb 3.0 back ports. Gigabyte ga-x79s-up5 USB 3.0 Issues-usb-issue-jpg

jmjones is offline Junior Member

Hi
    I have the same issue with my USB 3.0 rear ports not working. I have contacted technical support, installed latest bios (beta) as they recommended and all drivers installed tech support reply is as follows
    Dear Sir,

We test the rear usb2.0 and usb3.0 works fine.
    Below is the device management of USB ports.

You may remove all your USB devices to check which one causes the problem.
    to which I replied
    Good morning
    Your reply has not answered my question. No USB devices work when plugged into any of the rear USB 3.0 ports. Each of these USB devices (external dvd, external hard drive, usb memory stick) all work both on another computer and when plugged into the USB 2 ports. I sent an image of my device manager which shown both the USB 3 drivers as loaded. In devices and printers there is an unknown device attached is a screen shot if you scroll left you will see this is a standard USB controller at location 5 which has no driver installed and which windows says does not need a driver and will not instal one. The problem appears to be that your usb host controller for the rear USB 3 ports is not being loaded by windows 7 (64 bit). Therefore the rear usb ports are not working. This is a driver or bios problem. Please solve this issue and advise me how to rectify this driver/bios error.

good luck with that, since it worked fine for their test rig, there isn't an issue...

that'll be a fun time

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

jmjones is offline Junior Member

I have now reloaded windows and only loaded the via USB 3.0 driver which the manufacturer says is the only driver required for the back USB ports still none of the rear USB ports work anyone else having this problem or got a solution? I have 64gb ram (Gskill) installed and working great so really don't want to pull everything and return the board only to have the same problem with a replacement this seems to be a bios/driver issue as the usb host controller shows up without a driver (saying it doesn't need a driver which is clearly wrong).

Only thing I can suggest is to look for the USB Power supply jumper. many boards have a jumper for Internal/External Power supply... like if you were using a powered USB hub, the you could use the "external" supply.

check your manual, and make sure that "Internal" is enabled, if it isn't then the ports wouldn't have 5V to supply the components but the controller would still be alive and kicking telling your OS that everything is fine...

That's all I can suggest for you to try? But they should just work...

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Have you tried your xHCI settings in the bios?

XHCI Mode = Disabled
    The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port

XHCI Mode = Enabled
    The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 3.0 port

XHCI Mode = Auto
    The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
    If you reboot the OS, the on-board USB 3.0 port again function like a 2.0 port during this reboot BIOS phase before OS USB 3.0 driver load.

XHCI Mode = Smart Auto
    The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
    If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward, but Enabled is fastest once you are sure the OS has the USB 3.0 driver installed, because it avoid the switching. Making the on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port is mainly to support OS installation or to support OS that does not have build-in USB 3.0 driver, so that the USB keyboard would still work if the user plug-in a USB keyboard or any other USB devices into the USB 3.0 ports before the OS is installed with the USB 3.0 driver come with the motherboard.
    i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Titanium HD
    EVGA GTX 970
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    Samsung 850 EVO
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Quote Originally Posted by aadder View Post
    I'm running F3 bios revision currently. Windows 7 x64 with 64Gigs of memory. I've tried different devices in the USB2.0 they work fine but as soon as I put them in the USB 3.0 ports nothing works. I looked under device manager it shows them as unknown device. I'm wondering if this another bug within the motherboard? I need the USB 3.0 ports to work.

Thanks
    The problem has not been fixed and will need a driver update in the future. You will find that the USB3 at the rear will work with 62GB or less.
    My solution was to install extra USB3 - 2x front + 2x rear. As soon as a driver fix has been released I should find the original 4 rear USB3's will work again.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjones View Post
    I have now reloaded windows and only loaded the via USB 3.0 driver which the manufacturer says is the only driver required for the back USB ports still none of the rear USB ports work anyone else having this problem or got a solution? I have 64gb ram (Gskill) installed and working great so really don't want to pull everything and return the board only to have the same problem with a replacement this seems to be a bios/driver issue as the usb host controller shows up without a driver (saying it doesn't need a driver which is clearly wrong).

Did you find a solution to the back USB 3.0 issue. I am having the same issues, Gigabyte sent me a link to the driver but when installing I get a message can not continue because it does can not find the hardware. Does anyone have a solution yet?

i have too the some problem, lol, i try everything

Woracle is offline Junior Member

I had similar issues with 2 sets of USB3 ports on a GigaByte MB. Take a look at my question thread from today. Worth a try.. no need for anything but standard MS drivers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information