Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking Bug detected in bios F16 (GA-Z77X-D3H) v1.1

Exclamation Overclocking Bug detected in bios F16 (GA-Z77X-D3H) v1.1

Hi guys,

Before sharing my problem, I would like to start with my system setup specs.

-i5 3570k
    -GA-Z77X-D3H
    -KHX1600C9D3/4GX (2 RAM sticks at 8GB)
    -MK III Silencer 600w PSU
    -Hyper 212+ (to be replaced with NH-D14 soon)
    -No gpu yet

I'm not a fan of auto-clocking or anything automatic at all except for paychecks. I have successfully managed to overclock and prime with AVX instructions for 12hrs at a clock speed of 4.5Ghz using the offset DVID and my temps top 87C after quite a long while into prime but on daily use never see anything above 69C (video encoding and editing). The vcore is also good from what I hear about offset overclocks requiring higher vcore than direct vcore increment, gigabyte tweaklauncher 1.0 reports vcore as 1.245v in my offset. This offset allows the system to idle at a very awesome 60w at the socket (cpu + screen) beating my dad's laptop.

The trouble begins when I start looking for a higher overclock like 4.8Ghz. I know that the Hyper 212+ can't restrain this supernova of a chip at that speed but atleast with Realtemp reporting that windows in temps are not exceeding 60C under regular loads without priming, it is expected that you suddenly won't be unstable then boot with the same settings again then suddenly you can go for an hour or so without any issue.

It won't take the offset route with 4.6Ghz or anything above that no matter how much vcore you pump it with so I have to switch to the direct vcore increment which allows me get to 4.9Ghz (image attached) with all power saving features enabled. Knowing that my Hyper 212+ can't hack cooling anything above 4.5Ghz while priming, one should atleast get some sense of consistency with settings known to give a system stability (which is how I got the 4.5Ghz overclock stable in the first place, before priming in order to be completely sure of rock solid stability). Thats why I am convinced there is an oc bug in this bios.

Another pointer is after pursuing 4.8Ghz, returning to my 4.5Ghz overclock I decided to video encode and edit as I watch the temps. To my utter shock! The temps are exactly the same as I was experiencing with 4.8Ghz. Like I early reported I would consistently get 69C as my highest temp ever at 4.5Ghz during the process but now Realtemp was reporting 92C a minute into video encoding/editting. So being in real distress I stopped the process and went through all possible causes of the change from resiting and cleaning the HS of any dust and improper HSC application (even if the system is only slightly over a month old), to bios settings especially vcore and all other voltage settings and Fan PWM bios management settings and couldn't find anything out of the norm that was causing these suddenly ridiculous high temps at all since my system was the same and haven't changed a thing in it. The most weird thing is, even at 92C the fan wasn't being aggressive at all in trying to cool the processor like it would at 87C when I was priming for stability as was initially.

So I decided to reset update the bios using a flash drive back to the untouched F16 bios but after having written down all my overclock settings manually onto a sheet of paper. I also removed the cmos battery for an hour. After updating I manually keyed in all the settings and once again the system had returned back to its original state with highest temp reports of 69C. I was very careful not to tamper with anything other than the vcore and frequency when moving upto to 4.8Ghz so it can't be a setting I accidentally put without my knowledge because I quadruple checked the entire bios (given that it was really disturbing to see 92C all over sudden from 69C in regular usage)

I feel am being held back by some kind of oc bug while seeking 4.8Ghz overclock with this current F16 release but I don't go for beta releases ever. I think from this experience the bios is incorrectly volting the processor ones you cross 4.5Ghz vcore while into manual settings and even when you try to come back, but all softwares are unable to pick that up including the bios itself. Can something be done about this. I can't attempt anything again above 4.5Ghz since am afraid that bug will resurface again to terrorize my systems stability.
    Attached Images Attached Images Overclocking Bug detected in bios F16 (GA-Z77X-D3H) v1.1-oc-jpg 
    Last edited by XhKizits; 03-25-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Default Re: Overclocking Bug detected in bios F16 (GA-Z77X-D3H) v1.1

Rale,

I actually don't see your post here at all but will reply to you.
    BETA is the worst thing you will ever own whatever discipline, my experiences and many others have come to learn so. Overclocking is all about being stable. Betaz are not known for that.
    You ask for RPM data. Isn't it already odd enough for you that wiping out the "bios memory" restores normalcy from an overclocking spree?
    The norm should be when you apply your original primed settings you should get consistent results as you did before and not instability from rock solid stability without introduction to or reduction of the system.
    Realtemp is a reputed app for giving accurate temps at any given instance. True to its word when I was disassembling my pc when resitting the HS I could feel the heat at the base of the HS and the chip itself yet the pc was unplugged 15min ago as of then. I can here when my fan is blowing extremely hard at the heat coming from the processor, that happens when am priming and temps are past 70C on all 4 cores. I would expect the same at 92C or even louder at that speed but that doesn't happen, it sounds like it is dealing with 55C which is what I get when gaming (sounds are identical). That is reason enough to raise a red flag about the bios and with temps reaching 92C who knows what actual vcore is going through the chip?

Its a reasonable suggestion that I could try the next beta bios but how will a problem have been solved before it is reported???????

The offset overclock actually ramps down to 1.6Ghz and 0.7v core voltage if you didn't know and that's how it is measuring 60w (entire system) with a digital watt meter at the house's meterboard.
    At the moment am still not comfortable with this bios, I will monitor it very closely even as it is to note any inconsistencies even at 4.5Ghz.

are you sure its not the voltage sticking from a prev higher oc? sometimes it will do that until you reflash the same bios and re enter your oc

beta's are fine,some have niggles and some don't,ive been as high as 5.1ghz with current beta for my board and its been fine
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rale is offline Junior Member

XhKizits,
    Not all changes are published. The new version can fix the problems of which you didn't know and added new ones, of which you can never know about.
    Should always check the "test version", not stable. Also "Stable" doesn't mean its "stable", some beta may work even better and "stable" than "Stable" version.
    But you already know that...

As I said before: check beta or not - it's your decision. If it's still not fixed in latest beta version - please report.

My GA-Z77X-D3H rev 1.0 and friends rev 1.1 - didn't have that problem and the fan is worked on the correct speed with full speed at full load.
    By using voltage control (not pwm) you can obtain lower speed.
    That's why i asked you about settings and sensor data.

Well, I know how to do the entire system measuring, so I say, you're may wrong. I seen other review and made ​​these measurements. They are dependent on the power supply and what you call "entire system" as well. There no complete information about the system.
    No OC: 3570k+d3h+1xSsd+2xRam+monitor with 460w or 750w(80 silver)supply (~ almost your "dad's laptop") usually system run at ~70-80W. Black or white screen on monitor - readings will also be different 10-30w.
    Also depend what "meterboard" really measures. Thanks for the info, but I already know that. But it doesn't really matter now.

Assistance is required informations, not a story. In your case, my advice will not help you. I am very busy now, thats why remove first message.
    Sorry for my English, its not my native language.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    are you sure its not the voltage sticking from a prev higher oc? sometimes it will do that until you reflash the same bios and re enter your oc

beta's are fine,some have niggles and some don't,ive been as high as 5.1ghz with current beta for my board and its been fine
    Thats exactly what am reporting which is not meant to happen, your bios is supposed to play ball not tug of war. I know of later bios releases being abit more stable but let me take some time on that, am still observing this one.

I think your the right person to ask a different question, I won't ask it here but will pm you because I just noticed something on your sig and it has nothing to do with Gigabyte mobos.

With the few that have encouraged me about beta bios, I put my reservations aside and attempted it. First the bios won't boot if you disable the startup logo screen so you have to remove the cmos battery and try again with it enabled. Secondly overclocks just don't stick the moment you reboot, its like oil and water. The cpu then has its maxed out core speed at 3.6Ghz instead of 3.8Ghz stock. That just confirms what I had earlier said, beta bios is a work in progress and can't be used in place of stable releases. For there to be a solution the problem must be identified first. So until there is some acknowledgement of its existence, it will continue to persist.

This is to confirm that this bios is good for those not going above 4.5Ghz with llc on turbo on ivy and will not experience any issues below that though chips may vary with results. It shows consistent results as shown below. I did some encoding and editing to test for temps which are not going above 70C as compared to before where I was doing 69C on offset DVID which I consider reasonable. Trouble starts if you are a reeeeeeeeal enthusiast. Offset prime stability stops at 4.5Ghz, direct vcore may take over and take you to 4.9Ghz but in reality should stably get you 5Ghz with around 1.4v vcore. Am really hoping something will be done about this to fix it which is the main reason I report all this. I really like the offset overclocking because I get low temps on idle (consistent 26C throughout) but not sure it can be fixed for upto 5Ghz.
    Attached Images Attached Images Overclocking Bug detected in bios F16 (GA-Z77X-D3H) v1.1-test2-jpg 
    Last edited by XhKizits; 03-30-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Guys!

I got my present bios from here thanks to Stasio:- http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post274647
    Now am able to get very consistent results. It seems the official gigabyte bios site isn't uploading properly fixed bios. Forum tweaktown bios is much better and stable.
    Last edited by XhKizits; 04-06-2013 at 04:45 PM.

I run into some issues pointing at the ram to be defective while priming with bios F17 so I downgraded to F16 set the 4.5Ghz that gave me prime stability in the first place and primed again. I got full prime stability without a single eventviewer error or prime error but failed with a 0x0124 error in less than 10min in bios F17. Tried upping the vcore,vtt,imc but got worse and increased the WHEA logger error in eventviewer with bios F17 but none at all in F16 only the temp issue as I seek higher OCs. Any suggestions?

Thread Information