Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Haswell Is Coming,Who's Upgrading?

Default Re: Haswell Is Coming,Who's Upgrading?

its either cheap paste or the gap,but whatever it is cutting the lid and replacing the paste with liquid pro improves things 1000%

I would wait till the newer chipset revision is released,it gives you a chance to dodge all the early bios teething problems
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrT0ad is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    I would wait till the newer chipset revision is released,it gives you a chance to dodge all the early bios teething problems
    That makes two of us... I will be upgrading, but I'm looking at mid-autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I was wondering if the IB Xeon line of enterprise processors also use TIM instead of solder. But none of them are unlocked, and the best 22nm Xeon is spec'd at 3.7 - 4.1GHz, but I would bet that enterprise boards do not have unlimited turbo boost time settings in their BIOS.
    At my work we used Dell and HP Servers, I have not looked very hard in all the systems, but on the Dell r710 sitting in front of me with 2x E5520 CPU's, there is a Turbo selection in the bios (on/off), I can also play with a few C States, Enable/Disable Hyperthreading, and looking at CPU-Z I see it running the default speeds and not at all using the Turbo Boosted speeds.

I've even loaded it up with Prime95 and Linx not once did it use turbo boost :(

Also none of the manufactured systems allow you to play with any system voltages of frequencies. I'd be curious to know what would constitute enabling turbo mode.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    At my work we used Dell and HP Servers, I have not looked very hard in all the systems, but on the Dell r710 sitting in front of me with 2x E5520 CPU's, there is a Turbo selection in the bios (on/off), I can also play with a few C States, Enable/Disable Hyperthreading, and looking at CPU-Z I see it running the default speeds and not at all using the Turbo Boosted speeds.

I've even loaded it up with Prime95 and Linx not once did it use turbo boost :(

Also none of the manufactured systems allow you to play with any system voltages of frequencies. I'd be curious to know what would constitute enabling turbo mode.

Vin
    The Xeon E5520 is a 45nm, Nehalem-era socket 1366 processor that does have Turbo boost, running at 2.26GHz - 2.53GHz:

ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5520 (8M Cache, 2.26 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI)

For Turbo to be enabled, that option must be enabled, but it's also possible that Turbo is disabled by other means, or simply impossible to enable in the BIOS, regardless of the BIOS setting. The boost increase is typical for this generation of CPUs (0.26GHz), so not a big difference. I imagine that board's BIOS will follow the Turbo time limit specs exactly, and would be active for a very short time.

IMO, CPU-Z is not good for checking Turbo boost, since it reports one CPU frequency, while Turbo is applied on a core and thread basis.

The Xeon E5520 is a 45nm, Nehalem-era socket 1366 processor that does have Turbo boost, running at 2.26GHz - 2.53GHz:

ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5520 (8M Cache, 2.26 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI)

For Turbo to be enabled, that option must be enabled, but it's also possible that Turbo is disabled by other means, or simply impossible to enable in the BIOS, regardless of the BIOS setting. The boost increase is typical for this generation of CPUs (0.26GHz), so not a big difference. I imagine that board's BIOS will follow the Turbo time limit specs exactly, and would be active for a very short time.

IMO, CPU-Z is not good for checking Turbo boost, since it reports one CPU frequency, while Turbo is applied on a core and thread basis.
    I'm we aware of the CPU spec, I was just answering your question. and yes you can see when turbo is applied as CPU-Z reports the CPU speed in real time and these systems do not turbo a single multiplier but all at the same time.

you had asked a question regarding turbo on a Xeon, so I gave you an answer.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    I'm we aware of the CPU spec, I was just answering your question. and yes you can see when turbo is applied as CPU-Z reports the CPU speed in real time and these systems do not turbo a single multiplier but all at the same time.

you had asked a question regarding turbo on a Xeon, so I gave you an answer.

Vin
    Uhh, not really...

OTOH, is there an uproar in the enterprise world with IB Xeon's running at high temperatures? I don't know, perhaps there is.
    That is, Ivy Bridge architecture, 22nm Xeon processors, which may use conventional TIM as the consumer Ivy Bridge processors do. Nehalem processors have solder between the die and IHS, and do not become as hot as IB CPUs when over clocked.

I was also discussing the the operation of unlocked 'K' processors, whose multipliers are used to OC, and are not controlled by the standard rules that apply to Turbo (Turbo 2.0 in this case.) I was not referring to Xeon's, since they are not unlocked. The single CPU frequency display of CPU-Z when used with SB and IB CPUs seems to be that of core 0, but who knows. When I compare CPU-Z to a multiple core frequency display (HWiNFO64), CPU-Z is sluggish, its update rate seems very low, and seems to retain the highest read value.

Hmm, I could swear that the cores of my i7-930 can change the multiplier on an individual core basis, they certainly do when SpeedStep is active. But Xeons may work differently.

broadwell isn't bga soldered for the desktop market,just the mobile and small form factor

so that's good news
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Ya know, I have seen that too, but I can't recall where. What is your source of that information?

Many of the all in one PCs that are appear to be large monitors already use mobile processors and SODIMMs. If Broadwell will not be BGA only, then what is the concern about? Is it all just bad information and rumors? Or is the line between mobile and desktop CPUs becoming less well defined, since mobile CPUs are being used in non-mobile PCs.

I also just thought, what about the enterprise market? Would they be fine with a non-replaceable CPU system? I have no idea how often enterprise systems replace processors, if they do, and why. Why would Intel go to BGA only in the consumer market, but still produce socketed processors for the enterprise market only?

it on Wikipedia,its going to be split into three teirs,and only the small form factor and laptops will be bga,the desktop will carry on as normal socket
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Well so much for that rumor, we should of known better. Good to see that it will use the same socket 1150 as Haswell.

There is another aspect of Haswell that is different than earlier CPUs that has not been described very well, and could cause changes in mother boards. That is, to quote from the Wikipedia page on Haswell:

Fully integrated voltage regulator, thereby moving a component from the motherboard onto the CPU

Specifically, Haswell will have only two two voltage inputs, Vccin for logic and Vddq for DRAM. Everything that uses power in Haswell will be derived from the single Vccin rail, compared with up to five independent rails on IB or SB, not including DRAM voltage. The CPU voltage adjustments we have now should be the same with Haswell, according to Intel.

That ought to simplify mother boards a bit, but let's hope the voltage controls in the UEFI/BIOS will work as expected, or will we be faced with some changes?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information