Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Build Ever, Would Like To Avoid Screwing The Pooch

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: First Build Ever, Would Like To Avoid Screwing The Pooch

Do a web search using: ssd spare area endurance to see how ssd performance and expected life is improved with a larger unused spare area on your ssd. With my 128GB ssd, I've set aside 1/3 of its capacity for the spare area. My ssd boot partition is set to 80GB and it currently uses 52GB of space.

To simplify backups, I pre-formatted my ssd to use all available space before I installed windows. This causes the separate hidden Recovery partition to become a hidden system folder in the boot partition and backing up the boot partition automatically includes the Recovery folder. After win7 was installed I shrank the partition size to 80GB. I see no advantage to having a second partition on the ssd.

I've seen many problem reports with Acronis compatibility issues over the years. Macrium Reflect freeware is an outstanding program for creating backup images and disk or partition cloning. Their paid standard or pro versions offer some additional features that might prove useful. I receive email offers from them every few months where the paid versions can be bought with a 30% discount. Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download You can read their online help documentation at Reflect_v5 Online Help

With parts of windows moved to my D: partition on my hard drive, windows backup automatically backed up the C: and D: partitions. This caused a major problem when my OCZ ssd died and I tried to restore my backup to a new ssd. Windows Restore gave a cryptic message that a partition needed to be formatted but it didn't say which one and there wasn't an option to let windows format the necessary partition. Did I need to fully format my existing hard drive? I don't know. I have disabled windows backup and manually backup my boot partition using Macrium Reflect. Reflect does NOT include the page file or hyberfil.sys if they are in your boot partition.

Some current ssd models offer excellent performance as long as they are less than 50% full. You will need to read ssd reviews for your ssd model to see if performance will suffer if you fill your ssd with more than 50% of its full capacity.

Junction Link Magic can be used to easily "move" folders to another location.

My approach would be:
    1. update ssd firmware
    2. format the ssd to use all available ssd space
    3. install win7
    4. install the Inf install and required drivers
    5. install win7 SP1 using a downloaded dvd iso file
    6. install your hard drive and partition it if necessary
    7. change file or folder locations
    8. create a backup system image for this base installation
    9. run windows update to complete your installation
    10. shrink the boot partition size to provide adequate spare area

Your ssd might have set aside a spare area that is about 10% of its capacity.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Default Re: First Build Ever, Would Like To Avoid Screwing The Pooch

You don't need any applications/utilities to move your pagefile or documents/video/music, etc...

If you want to move your documents go to c:\users\yourusername\document and right click on documents and enter the properties, go to the location tab then click the move button and then point to another drive\folder. you can do that with any user folder.

for the pagefile/temp folders Right-Click on My Computer, on the left... click on advanced System Settings... click on the Environment Variables and there you can re-locate your temp folders, then under Performance click on Settings, click on Advance Tab then under Virtual Memory click on Change, then select the new drive for the page file and set the size then click on C drive and select no page file.

But again, I highly recommend that you leave the pagefile and temp folder on the SSD. also the same for the hibernation file...

I'd also leave the partition on the SSD as a single partition, and as for free space, on my 3x40GB ssd's that are making my 120GB OS, it's been at over 90% for over a year... and when doing benchmarks my speeds are still no different today as they were when installed.

Use the SSD like you would a normal day to day drive, just disable the defrag scheduler... I personally still have my drives do a weekly AV scan...

if you take away too many of the items that read/write to the SSD you will negate having an SSD. use the KISS mentality.... (Keep It Simple Silly) just move the big stuff off it... SSD drives are rated to run at 20GB+/day read/write for 10 years... you WILL NOT TOUCH THAT...

and if you are truly worried on usage then download SSD Life Free... it'll show you how your SSD is doing and give you an ETA on it's death based on your usage.... on my laptop and HTPC/Home Server I've been killing them with running multiple Virtual machines at the same time non-stop for years and I'm still expecting 8 more years of life out of them.... install and enjoy the speeds of the SSD....

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information