Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build Ever, Would Like To Avoid Screwing The Pooch

Mort is offline Junior Member

Question First Build Ever, Would Like To Avoid Screwing The Pooch

Greetings fellow Tweaktown Gigabyters!

I just finished assembling my first rig, it POSTed and is seemingly good to go. I'm on to updating the firmware on my SSD, installing Win 7 Pro, trying not to lose my mind figuring out the optimal drivers to install and the correct sequence for doing so, then updating Win 7(?).

A couple of questions before I bite the bullet.

Should I be clearing CMOS at any point during the above sequence?

Aside from the standard instructions on OCZ's site, is there anything else I should do in the BIOS prior to updating the SSD firmware that is specific to the UD5H rev1.1?

Should I tweak anything in the BIOS after flashing the firmware, but before installing the OS?

Should I install any drivers (RST etc.) using F6 during the OS install? I've seen conflicting opinions on this in various places.

Once the OS is sorted, should I, optimize using Sean's guide, install drivers, or update Windows next? 1-2-3?

Is this sequence the current prevailing wisdom?

1. Windows 7 Installation (Pre-installed Intel Raid Drivers)
    2. Intel Management Engine Interface
    3. Intel INF Installation
    4. Intel Rapid Storage Technology
    5. Intel VGA Driver
    5. Marvell Sata controller
    6. Marvel Storage Utility (I don't think this one is necessary)
    7. Intel LAN Driver
    8. Atheros LAN Driver
    9. Intel USB 3.0 Driver
    10. Wireless Drivers
    11. Nvidia Drivers (270.?? WQHL)

I have Stasio's archive at bookmarked along with the Intel Download Center and this OCUK thread, is there anywhere else that would be prudent to explore?

Basically, I'm hoping a few of you kind souls can spare the time to take me gently by the hands and lead me down the correct path like a kid who took the short bus to school. I've been using a P4 powered laptop for the past decade, decided it was time to spend a decent chunk of change on a long overdue upgrade, and I would really like not to screw the pooch right out of the gate.

My thanks to the people who make this site a great resource and much obliged for allowing me to intrude on your existences.

Default Re: First Build Ever, Would Like To Avoid Screwing The Pooch

for me I would,

- Boot in to the Bios and Load Optimized Defaults
    - Reboot System then go back in to the Bios and make sure the SATA ports are set to AHCI (unless you want to run a RAID, then select RAID)
    - Install Windows on the SSD
    - - - Just have the SSD connected, save connecting the 1TB HDD until after the OS is installed
    - Install all the drivers for the MB
    - - - Most of them should had been installed for you, but the common ones that aren't are, Chipset, Video/GPU, USB3.0, Ethernet, Audio... and I install them in that order
    - Install IRST
    - Once the OS/drivers are Installed, Install the OCZ utility and update the FW of your SSD (this is optional, your drive shouldn't be an initial release if you just got it so the FW on there should be pretty much up to date)
    - Open IRST and setup the SDD for cache, prefetch, etc...
    - shutdown, then plug in your 1TB drive
    - reboot, install windows updates, Win7SP1, etc...

Once everything is running (OS/System items only), use Windows Backup and backup the OS to the 1TB drive before installing any software... I use that as a fall back in case an install goes funny... as you install your games and utilities and everything checks out, then do a final backup... if anything goes screwy you're a simple restore away from a functional system instead of a day or two of re-setting everything up.

Stay away from the Marvell Storage utility, the built in MS driver does a better job for drivers, and it you wan't to run the marvel in a RAID, just configure the raid at bootup... imo that is a small price to pay for speed and reliability.

To Restore your Windows backup you have two options, when windows backup is open, on the top left of the console there is a selection to "Create a System repair Disk", you boot from this disk and then you select repair and it'll search for system backup, it'll find the one on the 1TB disk and then you just follow the prompts...

the second option is to not create a system repair disk, but use your Win7 installation disk... boot from it and when you see the "Install" button, on that screen on the bottom left there is a Repair option there... click on it and then you'll get the same simple prompts to restoring your OS from the 1TB disk.

That's how I pretty much do it... there are always small variants that happen but that's the jist of it.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

I appreciate you taking the time out of your life to respond, thank you!

Sorry to be an ingrate by asking a couple more questions.

OCZ released a "final" firmware update after my purchase, they claim it's non-destructive, but they have a "Bootable Toolbox" that would allow me to flash prior to installing the OS. Does this alter your advise?

Should I optimize the SSD (delete the pagefile, hibernate, etc.) after installing the drivers or before? WEI should disable defrag from jump, correct?

I think that just about covers it.

Thanks again, Vin. You're an ace of a human.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Even if the OCZ ssd firmware update is non-destructive, play it safe by doing a full boot drive backup image file if your O/S is already installed.
    If your ssd is empty, install it on another system and then update its firmware before you install your O/S.

I have a modest 2GB pagefile on my D: drive which is the first partition on my hard drive.
    I created a TEMP folder on my D: drive and set the windows TEMP and TMP environment variables to point to the D:\TEMP folder.
    I also have indexing enabled for my hard drive partitions, but I put the INDEXER folder on the D: drive too.

There's a lot of very useful information from forum members in my old http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-capacity.html thread.

Ingrate? Naw, we're used to members asking lots of questions.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite

Agree with Vinster & profJim's advice.
    Mostly nothing will happen if you miss sequence.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Thanks for chiming in fellas!

profJim, My SSD is empty and all my components are brand new, I only connected it to verify that the BIOS was recognizing it thus far. I don't really have another system handy, my laptop is IDE too. Someone else advised me to try and update the firmware on another system, is there something to be feared from using OCZ's "Bootable Toolbox" to do it right in my rig?

Took a look at your specs and I'm confused about your "first partition" - D: drive scenario. I figure you have the OS on the C: partition of your SSD, but is the D: partition on another drive or on your SSD too? Your reference to a "first partition" has me unsure. I have a 1TB HDD, so I have the option of parking the pagefile, TEMP, etc. there as well.

Will definitely check out your link, thanks!

Stasio, lord master of the Gigabyte driver, I was hoping to make your acquaintance. I'd be grateful if you'd appraise the wisdom of my driver selection for my Z77 UD5H rev1.1 - F14 BIOS once I formulate the list.

Much obliged gents.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

My ssd only has 1 partition, the boot partition. I formatted my ssd to use all available space and installed win7 with only the ssd attached to my system. Windows sometimes does strange things with the MBRs for other attached partitions during the O/S installation. With my original 60GB OCZ ssd, the firmware updating software could NOT update the boot drive unless your boot drive was connected to another system as a secondary data drive. That was several years ago and OCZ's procedure might have changed since then.

While an ssd firmware update might be non-destructive, if something goes wrong it's possible that you could loose your boot drive or it might become corrupted. Do you want to risk the possible chance that your ssd boot drive might loose your O/S install? I always create a backup of my O/S boot drive before updating firmware its firmware.

My hard drive has 5 partitions for:
    • D:\ Temp folder, downloads folder, internet cache folder
    • E:\ Programs folder for game benchmarks, saved downloads
    • F:\ My Documents folder
    • G:\ Media folders for music, videos and photography folders
    • H:\ Folders for archives, backups and my most recent system images

I have a few multi terabyte external e-sata and usb 3.0 hard drives for my offline copies of archived and backup files for both of my systems. There is a method to my madness and I want to be prepared if/when something unexpected happens to one of my drives.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

stasio is online now GIGABYTE Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Thanks for chiming in fellas!

Stasio, lord master of the Gigabyte driver, I was hoping to make your acquaintance. I'd be grateful if you'd appraise the wisdom of my driver selection for my Z77 UD5H rev1.1 - F14 BIOS once I formulate the list.

Much obliged gents.
    Here you have mostly,what you need (excluding SSD).
    Thanks for kind words.
    Good luck.
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

I use my SSD like any normal HDD... my page file, Indexing, temp folders... everything is on my SSD, many are rated for 20GB/day usage and would be good for a decade... I have 1st gen Intels in a RAID0 stripe... when these were released I was told I'd be lucky to get a year out of them running in a stripe without trim... well 3 years later they are just as strong today as the day I installed them.

All I did is relocate my documents and downloads folder due to space.. you move too much of the temp items from the SSD you may distort the benefits of having an SSD.

as for the FW, the Vector isn't new so what ever firmware is on there should be pretty solid (unless you somehow got a first batch). I only agree with keeping up on firmwares if the product is within it's initial release, or you update if is a new version is available prior to the OS installation.

Once you have your gear running, only consider upgrading FW's, Bios or drivers if you are having an issue or a feature from the update will benefit you, don't update anything just because there is a new release and "it has to be better" that mentality could just break something that wasn't broken.

Keep the questions coming if you got them, we have all built our first rigs at one point... I wish when I did mine I had a place like this to answer questions when I had them.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Here's where my cranium is at.

1. Prep the BIOS.
    2. OCZ SSD firmware can be flashed prior to the OS install without being slaved nowadays, so that's first on the list.
    3. Install the OS on a 50GB partition or a single partition?
    4. Kill defrag.
    5. Sort the drivers and iRST.
    6. Reboot, sort the OS updates.
    7. Shrink the pagefile and kill system restore and hyberfil.
    8. Connect my HDD and partition it along the lines of what profJim does.
    9. Backup the boot partition to 2 redundant locations (HDD & USB stick).
    10. Relocate my documents and downloads and potentially the pagefile and temp folder to the HDD?
    11. Depending on your answers, setup the remainder of the SSD as a secondary partition.
    12. Take my baby out for a spin.

Only a couple questions left.

Would it be wise to install the OS on a 50?GB partition on the SDD and set the remainder as a secondary partition? I like the idea of siloing the OS, drivers, and a few choice programs on their own partition and think this approach would provide added ease when backing up the core of my system going forward. Pro's/Cons? Is drive speed and/or TRIM efficacy negatively impacted by partitioning?

Should I relocate My Documents and Downloads and potentially the pagefile and temp folder before or after making my first backup?

My Vector came with a registration key for Acronis True Image. Should I bother using it or just stick with Windows backup?

The only debate left on this thread, and seemingly everywhere else, is the utility of relocating the pagefile and temp folders. Maximum speed vs. drive longevity is a tough proposition. I'm gonna do some research to see if anyone has been able to quantify the gain/loss of the former because proving the latter conclusively would be impossible without a ridiculously large sample size.

Thanks for bearing with me.
    Last edited by Mort; 07-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information