Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).




  1. #11
    Ken429 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valapariso, Indiana
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    Looks like I may get a slight increase in SSD performance turning off the power saving C-States. At least, maybe, I get something for the increased idle temperatures.
    Effect of Power Saving features on SSD speed

  2. #12
    boondocks's Avatar
    boondocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Live Oak, Florida
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    Looks like I may get a slight increase in SSD performance turning off the power saving C-States. At least, maybe, I get something for the increased idle temperatures.
    Effect of Power Saving features on SSD speed
    That is highly dependent on the motherboard. I did some testing last year with the UD5H and my best SSD speeds were when the C states were on Auto.
    I would encourage you to do your own testing and see what you get with C states on Auto; Enabled; & Disabled.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

    Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

    SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K


  3. #13
    Ken429 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valapariso, Indiana
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    I ran AS SSD and ATTO on my system (OCZ Vertex 3 120GB) and the unofficial results seem to agree with the Overclockers link I provide above.

    C3/C6 Enabled AS SSD Score 396 - Disabled 443

    C3/C6 Enabled ATTO 8192 Write 517465, Read 552841 - Disabled Write 523776, Read 554109
    The ATTO scores were higher for all the reads and writes by about the same percentage.

    So it looks like the GA-Z77X-UD5H acts like the ASUS MB in the thread. But all I really cared about is the WHEA errors go away when I Disable C3/C4.
    Last edited by Ken429; 08-16-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Senior Moment!

  4. #14
    boondocks's Avatar
    boondocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Live Oak, Florida
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    I ran AS SSD and ATTO on my system (OCZ Vertex 3 120GB) and the unofficial results seem to agree with the Overclockers link I provide above.

    C3/C6 Enabled AS SSD Score 396 - Disabled 443

    C3/C6 Enabled ATTO 8192 Write 517465, Read 552841 - Disabled Write 523776, Read 554109
    The ATTO scores were higher for all the reads and writes by about the same percentage.

    So it looks like the GA-Z77X-UP5D acts like the ASUS MB in the thread. But all I really cared about is the WHEA errors go away when I Disable C3/C4.
    But did you try on Auto? I know the best scores I got with my board was C states Auto.
    Anyway if it works for you that's what counts.

    Don't believe I ever heard of a GA-Z77X-UP5D. I have two Z77X UD5H which is what I tested on.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

    Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

    SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K


  5. #15
    Ken429 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valapariso, Indiana
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    OK, I put the correct MB back in the case and ran ATTO and AS SSD on Auto (which is the default setting where I started).

    The results with C3/C6 set on Auto were AS SSD Score 404 and ATTO Write 514984, Read 554109.

    Maybe just needle quiver but the C3/C6 Auto results were lower that the Disable results - except the 554109 Read.

    So at least on my configuration "Disable" shows the best SSD performance AND gets rid of the WHEA errors. The only drawback is the CPU idles 4-5C hotter. Just an aside, with the C3/C6 set to Auto the WHEA errors came back with a vengeance, in fact, IE 10 stopped working trying to enter this post because of a WHEA error. Have you go any ideas on how to fix this issue? I have tried increasing the voltage from +0.000 up to +0.025 (LLC set to High) which got the Vcore up to 1.32V under load and still got WHEA errors on one program - Schwab's Streetsmart Edge which uses very little CPU cycles! The system would run IBT and Prime95 with no issues! Is there some other voltage setting I should be playing with that will help stabilize the system when the Vcore jumps from <1.0 at idle to 1.30+ when the multiplier changes from 16 to 45 or whatever? It seem the system is ok as long as the voltage is not jumping around to save energy.

  6. #16
    boondocks's Avatar
    boondocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Live Oak, Florida
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    OK, I put the correct MB back in the case and ran ATTO and AS SSD on Auto (which is the default setting where I started).

    The results with C3/C6 set on Auto were AS SSD Score 404 and ATTO Write 514984, Read 554109.

    Maybe just needle quiver but the C3/C6 Auto results were lower that the Disable results - except the 554109 Read.

    So at least on my configuration "Disable" shows the best SSD performance AND gets rid of the WHEA errors. The only drawback is the CPU idles 4-5C hotter. Just an aside, with the C3/C6 set to Auto the WHEA errors came back with a vengeance, in fact, IE 10 stopped working trying to enter this post because of a WHEA error. Have you go any ideas on how to fix this issue? I have tried increasing the voltage from +0.000 up to +0.025 (LLC set to High) which got the Vcore up to 1.32V under load and still got WHEA errors on one program - Schwab's Streetsmart Edge which uses very little CPU cycles! The system would run IBT and Prime95 with no issues! Is there some other voltage setting I should be playing with that will help stabilize the system when the Vcore jumps from <1.0 at idle to 1.30+ when the multiplier changes from 16 to 45 or whatever? It seem the system is ok as long as the voltage is not jumping around to save energy.
    You probably just need more offset / vcore. I don't understand the basis for the WHEA errors with the C states set to Auto, I never had that problem.
    Both my 3770K/UD5H boards run at around +.020 offset and medium LLC for a 4.5GHz OC.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

    Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

    SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K


  7. #17
    Ken429 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valapariso, Indiana
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    Oh well, I tried LLC set to Medium and the Offset to +.020 and that gets me to the same Vcore under load as LLC set to High and the Offset at +0.000. Unfortunately, I get the same results when running Schwab's SSE stock trading program. When C3/C6 is Disabled all is well as soon as I set it to Auto the WHEA 19's start to appear in the Event Log. Maybe my CPU and/or MB are just getting worn out!

  8. #18
    boondocks's Avatar
    boondocks is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Live Oak, Florida
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H/3770K Stability question(s).

    The Schwab program may stress the cpu in ways that others don't.
    But if the board is happy running with the C states disabled and you have no problems then that's all that really matters.

    As far as your settings, every cpu/board is different to some degree, probably just coincidence that both my Z77's like identical settings.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

    Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

    SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •