Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple doubt about PSU 8 pin and 4 pin connector, need some help!!

wsarahan is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Simple doubt about PSU 8 pin and 4 pin connector, need some help!!

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Your system should be fine using only the one psu cable with the 8-pin cpu connection.
    With your high end power supply, I don't see any real benefit to connecting the second 4-pin cpu connector unless you had a psu power cable with only one 4-pin connector. My concern is that using the second cable with only one 4-pin connection is that the unused 4-pin connector might accidentally cause a short circuit if one of the yellow 12 volt connectors somehow touches a metal portion on your motherboard or the computer case.

This is why I suggest that you don't connect the second cpu power cable to the 4-pin connector.
    The 4-pin motherboard connector is very close to the rear I/O panel's metal modules, the rear heatsink shroud and a motherboard mounting screw. It's possible that the unused cable end could short circuit if it touched a chip on the surface of the motherboard. Take a close look at many of the metal connections on many of the motherboard's chips. Sorry to scare you but being overly cautious is far better than causing a short circuit.

It is very important that all unused connectors inside of your case can't cause a short circuit by making contact with any part of your case and hardware.
    I use small plastic cable ties to prevent connectors from possibly causing a short circuit.

Thanks

I thought that this additional 4 pin would help me not to burn the 12v 24pin connector when using more than one graphic card installed, this happened twice with me in the past, lost 2 mobos because the SLI, so the OC_Peg sata connector is for this? To prevent the 12v 24 pin burn right? The 4 pin MB won't help on this right?

Thanks again

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You're welcome.
    Can I come by your house on Halloween night and see if I can really scare you?

The 4-pin ATX_12V and 8-pin EPS12V connectors are primarily for providing cpu power.

AFAIK, no modern motherboard will post if you haven't connected a cpu power cable to the motherboard.
    Many motherboards have an additional power cable to help deliver additional power when you have a higher end, power hungry, SLI or CrossFireX multi-gpu setup. On your motherboard, the OC_Peg sata connector is an additional power source for your video cards.
    Higher end power supplies typically have thicker gauge wires that can handle more electrical current with lower electrical resistance and this helps to prevent the wires from overheating.

If you were using LN2 cooling for insanely high overclocks, the additional 4-pin cpu power connection would help.
    With a high overclock using air or water cooling, it isn't needed. My 660watt power supply has an additional power cable with a single 4-pin cpu cable. If I had your motherboard, I would connect both cpu power cables, 8-pin and 4-pin.

Do a web search using computer cable management and you will pick up many excellent tips and ideas.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

You're welcome.
    Can I come by your house on Halloween night and see if I can really scare you?

The 4-pin ATX_12V and 8-pin EPS12V connectors are primarily for providing cpu power.

AFAIK, no modern motherboard will post if you haven't connected a cpu power cable to the motherboard.
    Many motherboards have an additional power cable to help deliver additional power when you have a higher end, power hungry, SLI or CrossFireX multi-gpu setup. On your motherboard, the OC_Peg sata connector is an additional power source for your video cards.
    Higher end power supplies typically have thicker gauge wires that can handle more electrical current with lower electrical resistance and this helps to prevent the wires from overheating.

If you were using LN2 cooling for insanely high overclocks, the additional 4-pin cpu power connection would help.
    With a high overclock using air or water cooling, it isn't needed. My 660watt power supply has an additional power cable with a single 4-pin cpu cable. If I had your motherboard, I would connect both cpu power cables, 8-pin and 4-pin.

Do a web search using computer cable management and you will pick up many excellent tips and ideas.
    Huahuahau you won't scare me at haloween

But the main doubt now is from oc_peg, untill this board i used the evga power booster to prevent to burn again the 24 pin 12v, now i wanna know if i can remove the power booster and only use the oc_peg, this is only to prevent the pins to burn?

The power booster is a molex that you connect to any pci ex avaiable at the board and it helps inprove the energy

Oc_peg substitute this?

Thanks again

It looks like the evga power booster is similar to the OC_peg sata motherboard connector where both provide an additional single +12 volt and ground wire connection for the pci-e slots. Going by pci-e specs:
    • each pci-e slot provides up to 75 watts
    • each gpu 6-pin connector provides up to 75 watts
    • each gpu 8-pin connector provides up to 150 watts

Using the power booster or the OC_peg sata power connector provides an additional path for electrical power to the pci-e slots and this should help to slightly lower the electrical load through the 24-pin connector that powers the pci-e slots.

Would using both of these options at the same time further reduce the 24-pin electrical load? Maybe.
    Is using both options safe? Probably, but I'd check with EVGA tech support to be sure.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

It looks like the evga power booster is similar to the OC_peg sata motherboard connector where both provide an additional single +12 volt and ground wire connection for the pci-e slots. Going by pci-e specs:
    • each pci-e slot provides up to 75 watts
    • each gpu 6-pin connector provides up to 75 watts
    • each gpu 8-pin connector provides up to 150 watts

Using the power booster or the OC_peg sata power connector provides an additional path for electrical power to the pci-e slots and this should help to slightly lower the electrical load through the 24-pin connector that powers the pci-e slots.

Would using both of these options at the same time further reduce the 24-pin electrical load? Maybe.
    Is using both options safe? Probably, but I'd check with EVGA tech support to be sure.
    Letting the 4 pin like this is ok to not may cause a short circuit?

I connected the 4 pin at the cpu and the other 4 pin managed to the back of the case, safer right? I just don't know where it will touch when i close the back part of the case that's why i managed like that

http://imageshack.com/i/5bb213j

Maybe i can use a isolated tape to envolve the pin, helps?

And here is how it fitted inside the case, correct position i mean right?

http://imageshack.com/i/jac1b4j

Sorry for the links like this, i'm still at cellphone

Thanks
    Last edited by wsarahan; 08-27-2013 at 04:10 AM.

The way you secured the unused 4-pin connect with a plastic cable tie is excellent.
    That is how I would do it.

It looks like some of your wires are resting against the radiator.
    See if you can reposition and secure the wires so that the wires are at least 3 - 5mm from the radiator.

I don't like to have wires resting against the narrow metal edge of a pass-through hole in the case.
    Over time, the wire's insulation might wear and eventually lead to a short circuit.
    You could make a homemade grommet by slitting a suitable rubber tube lengthwise and installing the tube around the hole's edge or you might be able to find a grommet at a local hardware or appliance store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information