Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-X58A-UD7 slow boot?

NGL_BrSH is offline Member

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD7 slow boot?

hmm.. well maybe try the xmp1 profile? just to say you did? IDK, this issue is obviously related to the ram / controller. That at least narrows it down a bit. It's voltage or settings somewhere. I'm anxious for you to figure it out ha ha because I haven't had time to mess with mine.

ed1 is offline Member

NGL, when you Load Optimized Defaults in the BIOS (or otherwise eliminate any overclocking of CPU and RAM), do you still have the delay in POST?

NGL_BrSH is offline Member

Yes, same issue.

parsec is offline Senior Member

In the past, say ~10 years ago or more, part of the PC POST process was running a test on the RAM memory. The more memory you had, the longer it took. That test was either removed or modified when PCs started using 4GB or more memory, since it took so long. The BIOS of those PCs might have an option to enable or disable the memory testing.

My point is the memory you added seemed to increase the POST time by a factor of two, which would perfectly fit some type of memory testing.

I have an ASUS X58 board, which is the slowest starting PC I've ever built. It takes ~20 seconds before the POST single beep occurs, and there is nothing displayed on the screen until that beep. This board runs three tests before that POST beep, one for the CPU, one for "VGA", and one for the memory. Three LEDs, one for each of the components listed above, light up until their test passes. If the test fails, the LED remains on and POST does not continue. AFAIK, this type of testing may be used on other X58 boards.

This and other ASUS boards have a feature called "Mem OK", which I think is related to a feature Intel had added for platforms with the integrated memory controller on the CPU, such as X58/i7-9xx systems, the first one that used the IMC. IIRC, it is called Flex-memory, that allowed incompatible or mixed memory types to be used, by automatically modifying memory settings.

FWIW, any of these things may be causing the slow start up you have on your X58 based PC.

ed1 is offline Member

parsec, thanks for your detailed report on this. It is somewhat consistent with some of the increased delay I have seen on my X58A-UD7 system since going from 6GB to 12GB RAM. With 6GB RAM and both CPU and RAM overclocked, my delay to POST was about 15 seconds. I ran this way for years. My delays were up to 40 seconds (before POST) with blank screen as you say, with 12GB RAM and certain overclock settings for CPU and RAM. But, I have adjusted some of the o/c and voltage settings and now have the delay down to about 22 seconds, again with 12GB. What I noticed when experimenting is this: With no o/c of CPU or 12GB RAM - delay was about 12 to 15 seconds to the single beep sound and beginning of POST. (One of the first lines in the POST sequence is a report on RAM but the way.) This yielded a CPU at 2.66Mhz and RAM at 1066Mhz with 8-8-8-24-2T timings at 1.5v. When I tried to run 12GB RAM at spec 1600Mhz on 1.65v at 6-6-7-18-1T by using 160BCLK, 10 RAM multiplier, and 20 CPU multiplier to yield a 3.2Mhz CPU frequency, the delay to start of POST was 35 to 40 seconds. WIth 12GB RAM at 1500Mhz on 1.64v at 6-6-7-18-1T, 150 BCLK, 10 RAM multiplier, and 20 CPU multiplier to yield a 3.0Mhz CPU frequency, the delay to POST drops to about 22 seconds. So, I have settled on using these settings for now. I also noticed that setting QPI/vtt on AUTO rather than a specific voltage seemed to help reduce the delay to POST. Same with QPI/pll and ICH/core. Best to leave them on AUTO. My wife's Gigabyte EP45-UD3 system with a non-overclocked E8400 CPU and 4GB RAM is much faster than my system to reach POST. About 8 seconds to the beep and start of POST. I guess this is consistent with what you are saying, parsec. NGL, does any of this info help you speed up your system boot?
    Last edited by ed1; 09-15-2013 at 12:23 AM.

ed1 is offline Member

I don't know why I lose paragraph formatting every time I edit one of my posts. Anyone?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I don't know why I lose paragraph formatting every time I edit one of my posts. Anyone?
    Have you tried:
    • using the Go Advanced post editing option?
    • clearing your browser's cache?
    • logging out of the forum and then logging in?
    • access the forum using a different browser?
    • access the forum using a different computer?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

ed1 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by NGL_BrSH View Post
    I gave up on this very problem a couple years ago. I am now just researching to see if anyone has solved this problem since I just recently moved my X58A-UD5 into a HTPC role. The 30 seconds of nothing before POST is now driving me crazy. I recall I couldn't get all 6GB's of ram to show up at the same time and after some tweaking and about 1 million bios updates they fixed it so that my ram showed up however this was one of the side effects of the fix I guess. I gave up on it until now. I patiently await to see if someone has a solution to your problem. If you happen to figure it out without anyone's help please post back telling me your solution. GL
    NGL - After some more tweaking and using my computer, I have some more info which may or may not be relevant to curing the slow boot issue. I have been using my X58A-UD7 for 4 years now with very modest overclocking (to 3.1Mhz on a i7-920) and very good system stability. When I added an add'l 6GB of RAM I did some more tweaking of the overclock settings. But I never was able to get the system 100% stable, even though it was usable. But the memory related system crashes seemed to be increasing and I tried some more setting changes. I decided to select for the first time the RAM SPD profile available in the BIOS and changed my multiplier such that my rated 1600Mhz RAM was now running at 14400Mhz instead of what I had been using for 4 years (1500Mhz). With the new multiplier, the CPU was now running at 3.8Mhz, with turbo over 3.9Mhz. This was unbelievable, to me, as I had never gotten past 3.1Mhz before without problems. The system is now running completely stable, at much greater CPU speed and only slightly lower RAM frequency. And, as a bonus, the system beeps and starts the boot process only 12 seconds or so after hitting the power switch. Every time. This is down from 35-40 seconds with the prior timings. I am only a novice at overclocking, but I feel that perhaps the answer to the slow boot start is to get the RAM to run at one of the correct frequencies - 1066, 1280, 1333, 1440, or 1600 Mhz. (Not sure if I have all of these timing options right.) My prior settings resulted in 1500Mhz and slow boot. Now running at 1440MHz with very quick boot and at rated RAM timings of 6-7-6-6. Let me know if any of this helps you.
    Last edited by ed1; 01-05-2014 at 04:15 AM.

boombastik is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed1 View Post
    NGL - After some more tweaking and using my computer, I have some more info which may or may not be relevant to curing the slow boot issue. I have been using my X58A-UD7 for 4 years now with very modest overclocking (to 3.1Mhz on a i7-920) and very good system stability. When I added an add'l 6GB of RAM I did some more tweaking of the overclock settings. But I never was able to get the system 100% stable, even though it was usable. But the memory related system crashes seemed to be increasing and I tried some more setting changes. I decided to select for the first time the RAM SPD profile available in the BIOS and changed my multiplier such that my rated 1600Mhz RAM was now running at 14400Mhz instead of what I had been using for 4 years (1500Mhz). With the new multiplier, the CPU was now running at 3.8Mhz, with turbo over 3.9Mhz. This was unbelievable, to me, as I had never gotten past 3.1Mhz before without problems. The system is now running completely stable, at much greater CPU speed and only slightly lower RAM frequency. And, as a bonus, the system beeps and starts the boot process only 12 seconds or so after hitting the power switch. Every time. This is down from 35-40 seconds with the prior timings. I am only a novice at overclocking, but I feel that perhaps the answer to the slow boot start is to get the RAM to run at one of the correct frequencies - 1066, 1280, 1333, 1440, or 1600 Mhz. (Not sure if I have all of these timing options right.) My prior settings resulted in 1500Mhz and slow boot. Now running at 1440MHz with very quick boot and at rated RAM timings of 6-7-6-6. Let me know if any of this helps you.
    After 5 years i found the real answer to it ed1.
    I have the same motherboard.
    To start the pc in one second only one thing matters. The right deference of voltage qpi/vtt and dram.
    This motherboard overvoltage qpi/vtt 0.04 from the number that u have in the bios.
    I have a triplle channel that in xmp wants qpi/vtt 1.315 voltage and 1.500 dram voltage.
    So i went in bios and i enabled xmp profile, but in qpi voltage i fill in bios with the number 1.275. So 1.275+0.04=1.315.
    If i put in bios 1.255 voltage my start is 7 sec.
    if i put in bios 1.315 voltage my start is 10 sec.
    If i put in bios 1.275 voltage my start is 2 sec.
    So see what voltages your ram needed and put the manual. But not forget your qpi/vtt voltage to be -0.04 voltage of the real voltage you want to target.

P.s. Also enable mouse legacy make mouse movement better and put your hpet setting to 32 bit.
    Hpet 64 bit is all gigabyte x58 is buggy, i have done tests for over a year. Put it at 32 bit and trust me.
    Last edited by boombastik; 04-05-2016 at 01:17 PM.

ed1 is offline Member

Thanks for posting this, boombastik.

I will do some testing with your suggestions, particularly the comments on qpi/vtt voltage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information