Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-Z87X-UD4H - RAID 0 Assistance

Default Re: GA-Z87X-UD4H - RAID 0 Assistance

Mhmm found out some information that seems interesting, just not sure what to do with it.

When my mobo is set to AHCI mode, it shows that Windows Boot Manager is on Port 0 (My SSD) in my boot options. My PC boots just fine.

However, as soon I as change my mobo to RAID, the Windows Boot Manager is its own option to boot to in the boot order. Its not on the SSD any more like it should.

If I change it back to AHCI, it goes back to the SSD and boots just fine.

If you want a RAID you cannot be switching back and forth between AHCI and RAID... Select RAID and leave it. in a RAID for your single SSD and Single Drives you will still get the benefits of the functions of AHCI....

AHCI and RAID drivers to an OS is like comparing apples and oranges... you can't do it.

Select RAID in your SATA options, in your bootup options select the SSD from the RAID configuration and install windows. if for some odd reason you cannot find your SSD, then open the RAID configuration and make a RAID1 configuration and only select the SSD and give it a name.

then go back in to the bootup order and then you should see your SSD.

please re-read the posts above about not changing the SATA to other modes other than RAID... you are your worst enemy right now and you are not helping yourself.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Hi Vin,

I wasn't purposely going back and forth between AHCI and RAID. I flashed my BIOS to the latest version after some guys I work with recommended I give that a shot, and in the process I had to load optimized defaults. That in turn set it back to AHCI and I happened to let my PC boot.

So to clarify, are you recommend I re-install Windows8 after resetting up my RAID?

Because I have it set to RAID, and I can't boot into Windows since my Windows Boot Manager doesnt seem to be on my SSD anymore according to the BIOS.

Thanks for both of yalls help, I really appreciate it. Finally got it working.

When I was installing Windows, I was doing so on a GPT formatted disk. Finally tried installing it on a MBR formatted disk, and it worked.

parsec is offline Senior Member

We overlooked the obvious situation here, Windows was installed with multiple drives active on the PC. So who knows where the MBR was, since Windows will put it on a drive other than the OS drive when multiple drives are available during a Windows installation. It sounds like the MBR was on the RAID array, and apparently on the SSD too, and when the RAID array wasn't created, the MBR on the SSD was used, and when the RAID array was created, it used the MBR there.

GPT formatting in Windows includes an MBR partition, a safety feature according to MS. GPT formatting should not cause any problems installing Windows, I have several PCs with GPT formatted OS disks which work fine. Whether MBR or GPT formatted, Windows will still put the boot partition on another drive during the installation if possible, a very annoying "feature" that does not benefit the user at all.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    We overlooked the obvious situation here, Windows was installed with multiple drives active on the PC. So who knows where the MBR was, since Windows will put it on a drive other than the OS drive when multiple drives are available during a Windows installation. It sounds like the MBR was on the RAID array, and apparently on the SSD too, and when the RAID array wasn't created, the MBR on the SSD was used, and when the RAID array was created, it used the MBR there.

GPT formatting in Windows includes an MBR partition, a safety feature according to MS. GPT formatting should not cause any problems installing Windows, I have several PCs with GPT formatted OS disks which work fine. Whether MBR or GPT formatted, Windows will still put the boot partition on another drive during the installation if possible, a very annoying "feature" that does not benefit the user at all.
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I could see where that would be a problem. I swear I unplugged everything when I installed Windows since it worked before the RAID array was created but maybe I'm loosing it. Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information