Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X79S-UP5 and i7-3820 Problems

Exclamation X79S-UP5 and i7-3820 Problems

Hi,

I am having a lots of issues with my configuration based around X79S-UP5 and i7-3820...
    First, I have all sorts of random freezes and instabilities...but let me give you list of major parts involved...
    X79S-UP5 BIOS F4
    Powercolor HD 7870 Myst
    Intel i7 3820 Costa Rica
    Corsair XMS3 2000 9-10-9-27
    PSU Thermaltake Smart 750W
    Antec H2o Kuhler 920
    So pretty much good choice of parts but no go...
    Not only trials for OC didn't worked well..not at all, even at stock I have all sorts of issues.
    There's no way to enable any other strap besides stock...and even if I up the multi, all issues just comes back quicker.
    Issues is already visible at POST...loop up to 3000 times before it just stop..then I have to reset everything to get it up in another loop, where after about 200-300 loops finally boots to BIOS telling me that configuration is faulty..which is stock standard...then after 10-15 resetting and trying I finally got to the point where I am faced to repair message from Windows...and this is pretty much every time I try to use this machine...
    I had better chance to get it up and running under old BIOSes but they lacked options...so I decided to give it a go with the latest...however, 125MHz strap never worked..ever!
    So, based upon experience..should I RMA board or there's incompatibilities between mobo and RAM or CPU and RAM, or CPU and mobo...I am running out of my minds because of that..
    Plz, some guides...

Vallachia is offline Junior Member

Default Re: X79S-UP5 and i7-3820 Problems

You are having issues at stock settings. So you need to really establish a baseline before you do anything else.
    First of all you should know that i7-3820 only officially supports DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600.
    Speeds above 1600 usually require some extra voltage to the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller).

Lets start by disabling XMP and setting your RAM speed to 1600.
    9-9-9-24 2T should work fine. See if it is now stable at that speed.

Just because your RAM kit is specced for 2000MHz does not mean your CPU's IMC can do 2000MHz.

If you are faced with the windows repair message then data is corrupted. That means corruption of data while in RAM or corruption of data while writing to HDD.
    So the second thing you need to do is check your HDD. Do you have a spare HDD/SSD for testing?

Alrite...
    Perhaps I haven't been very clear, but I'll try to explain with more details.
    First to the RAM itself.
    I have used that RAM on my previous machine which consisted of Asus P9X79 and same CPU...
    Obviously result was favourable. But I needed more SATA ports and the only obvious way to go was X79S-UP5, as it is rare one with Intel SAS controller.
    As the machine is obviously loaded with HDD's I need it to be at least stable enough not to get into loop and reboot 5000 times...
    OK, so, RAM and CPU is checked on another board. It run beautifully at 4750MHz, 38*125 and at RAM speed of 2000 sharp. Timing was factory set at 9-10-9-27 1T. As this is also XMP settings I just copied and manually entered values into fields. RAM voltage is set at 1.65V, CPU voltage on Asus was for that speed at 1.3875V with VCCSA and VTT at 1.18V...LLC on high...and the rest was pretty much stock...
    Now...to the culprit...Gigabyte, hmm...same CPU, same RAM...first boot...takes indefinitely to result in first shut down. No screen, no POST, just huuuuum...then after about 3 minutes shut down...then, next retry...huuuuum, for about almost 5 minutes, then suddenly screen shows a Gigabyte backdrop...yeeey...just to get into BIOS telling me that setting is wrong. OK, I know that...
    Manualy set up the parameters, virtualization, SATA, SAS, Marvell...CPU and RAM left stock....reboot...looong post...finally up, telling me that setting is wrong blah blah...F10 reboot...again, F10 reboot...yaaayy...no stop in BIOS...yaayy...
    Next, CPU and RAM...all set at stock, means, CPU 36*100 Auto, voltages Auto, RAM 1066 Auto...voltages Auto...
    F10, reboot...no go...BIOS, blah blah...
    F10 reboot...long thinking....yaayyy..passed through...yaayy..
    OK, get back to BIOS...voltages...IMC and VTT to 1.17V..voltmeter result is 1.205V, great...CPU offset +0.050...result about 1.38V...RAM speed at 1066 still...F10 reboot...no go...no, no, no, no...(5000 times), no, no...yesss..yaayyyy...BIOS, the current configuration blah blah....
    Anyway, to cut long story short...I did played up with voltages either way, the only one I never touched was PLL, and PCH voltages...first one already sounded to high to me and the other one, I've found hard to believe that this voltage has anything to do with CPU itself...
    So, any voltages I already shift here and there..play with unreal numbers, but, so far no go.
    I did even tried F5a mod from here...huh, that cost me the whole afternoon...so I went back to F4...
    The only BIOS which gives me so-so alrite run was F3...but still no way to try any other strap besides stock.
    Of course I am using multi to OC my CPU at this stage, still using Turbo set at 44/43 respectively...
    Now, would perhaps my problem be the Costa Rica CPU and or XMS3 RAM incompatibilities on this mobo as everything else worked well on other one...
    I guess, it is confusing post again...lool!!
    Thanks

Vallachia is offline Junior Member

How many HDD's attached to the PCH?
    Have you tried more voltage to PCH? Perhaps with that many HDD's it needs some extra juice.
    Never used C606 so I couldn't say for sure.

Personally, I'd use the Asus board and buy a cheap 2nd-hand LSI raid card for your HDD's. =)
    I use a 8888ELP with 8x2TB HDD's on my GA-X79-UD3.

Maybe it is time to sell the X79S-UD5?

Huh...at the time of setting it up nothing besides USB stick is attached to it...
    Once I got it running, it would be 8 HDD (4T each) on it, but at this stage all ports are free!
    The problem is, it's good looking thing, on paper and on hands...so, really only if I can't make it flow, I'll sell it!
    PCH voltage..how much I could apply...ATMO sitting stock at 1.1V...
    So, what I would like to ask is, what is "SAFE" voltages for those parts...I know that Vtt and VCCSA could run for up to 1.4 but safe environment without degradation is considered to be at around 1.2...
    Also, I've read lots of positive reviews about installing Macos X n this mobo...in my case I am unable even to smell the taste of the boot process, let alone installation...does anyone has any real world experience about these...
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Lil_Heidi; 10-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Thread Information