Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Win 8.1-Secure Boot isnt configured correctly- Water Mark- Not able to access BIOS after enable Secure Boot [Solved]

Yaho is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Win 8.1-Secure Boot isnt configured correctly- Water Mark- Not able to access BIOS after enable Secure Boot [Solved]

It turns out the SAPPHIRE R7 250 Graphics Card I purchased is not UEFI GOP compatible (even though they initially said it was). I think the industry was caught with their pants down on this UEFI thing and are now scrambling for fixes. So buyers beware!

My Gibabyte GA-Z77X-UPS TH, BIOS F12j, on Windows 8.1, using it's Intel integrated HD 4000 graphics, loads “Secure Boot” flawlessly (without much for BIOS setting changes). AND IT HAS A SUPERFAST STARTUP AND NO WATERMARK!<o:p></o:p>

I could live with this, but I use multiple monitors and require a graphics card. As stated above, the industry is way behind on this and many of their techs don’t even know what is going on. The only cards I have found out there are very pricey. <o:p></o:p>

If anyone knows of any “entry level” graphics cards that are confirmed UEFI GOP compatible, out of the package (no added software required), please let me know. <o:p></o:p>

Thanks guys, good forum! <o:p></o:p>

Default Re: Win 8.1-Secure Boot isnt configured correctly- Water Mark- Not able to access BIOS after enable Secure Boot [Solved]

I don't know why they are behind on the UEFI bios as it has been around for a year+... they need to get with it... every year is like 15-25 tech years.... it's 3-4 times dog years easy.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaho View Post
    It turns out the SAPPHIRE R7 250 Graphics Card I purchased is not UEFI GOP compatible (even though they initially said it was). I think the industry was caught with their pants down on this UEFI thing and are now scrambling for fixes. So buyers beware!

My Gibabyte GA-Z77X-UPS TH, BIOS F12j, on Windows 8.1, using it's Intel integrated HD 4000 graphics, loads “Secure Boot” flawlessly (without much for BIOS setting changes). AND IT HAS A SUPERFAST STARTUP AND NO WATERMARK!<o:p></o:p>

I could live with this, but I use multiple monitors and require a graphics card. As stated above, the industry is way behind on this and many of their techs don’t even know what is going on. The only cards I have found out there are very pricey. <o:p></o:p>

If anyone knows of any “entry level” graphics cards that are confirmed UEFI GOP compatible, out of the package (no added software required), please let me know. <o:p></o:p>

Thanks guys, good forum! <o:p></o:p>

Part of the situation is since Windows 8 has the fast boot option, when it is installed in UEFI booting mode, more people are interested in setting up UEFI booting to use that feature. But that requires a GOP compatible video source as you know. Besides this Windows 8 feature, the only capability that UEFI firmware (instead of BIOS firmware) provides that is actually used by mother board manufactures is the GUI style interface to the UEFI/BIOS settings. That is not even a part of UEFI firmware, only something that it allows to be used.

Meanwhile, Intel's on-CPU graphics as far back as Sandy Bridge CPUs, supports GOP with no muss or fuss. AMD's on-CPU graphics... I don't know.

GOP support on video cards varies by manufacture and video card generation. All EVGA 700 series cards support GOP out of the box. MSI's 700 series cards need a VBIOS update. EVGA's 600 series cards support GOP with a VBIOS update, I've had both success and failure applying the VBIOS updates. It either works fine the first time, or bricks the card, at least that is what happened to me.

Assume nothing about GOP compatibility of a video card, verify that it is there or not. Given what I have read, for Nvidia based cards, only the GTX 600 and GTX 700 series are capable of being GOP compatible. Everything before that, the 500 series, 400 series, etc, have NO chance of GOP compatibility. Apparently the VBIOS chips on those cards are to small, etc, to contain a GOP compatible VBIOS. Cards that can have their VBIOS updated can only get the update on request from the manufacture, they do not list them on their usual download pages. The manufacture's forum is the best source of information on this topic (believe it or not.) I've not used any AMD/ATI cards lately, so have no idea about their GOP support.

I assume that a GTX 700 series card is not "entry level", at $250 for a '760? I updated a vanilla GTX 650 for GOP support, and it worked fine. A GTX 660 did not cooperate in that respect at all...

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Part of the situation is since Windows 8 has the fast boot option, when it is installed in UEFI booting mode, more people are interested in setting up UEFI booting to use that feature. But that requires a GOP compatible video source as you know. Besides this Windows 8 feature, the only capability that UEFI firmware (instead of BIOS firmware) provides that is actually used by mother board manufactures is the GUI style interface to the UEFI/BIOS settings. That is not even a part of UEFI firmware, only something that it allows to be used.

Meanwhile, Intel's on-CPU graphics as far back as Sandy Bridge CPUs, supports GOP with no muss or fuss. AMD's on-CPU graphics... I don't know.

GOP support on video cards varies by manufacture and video card generation. All EVGA 700 series cards support GOP out of the box. MSI's 700 series cards need a VBIOS update. EVGA's 600 series cards support GOP with a VBIOS update, I've had both success and failure applying the VBIOS updates. It either works fine the first time, or bricks the card, at least that is what happened to me.

Assume nothing about GOP compatibility of a video card, verify that it is there or not. Given what I have read, for Nvidia based cards, only the GTX 600 and GTX 700 series are capable of being GOP compatible. Everything before that, the 500 series, 400 series, etc, have NO chance of GOP compatibility. Apparently the VBIOS chips on those cards are to small, etc, to contain a GOP compatible VBIOS. Cards that can have their VBIOS updated can only get the update on request from the manufacture, they do not list them on their usual download pages. The manufacture's forum is the best source of information on this topic (believe it or not.) I've not used any AMD/ATI cards lately, so have no idea about their GOP support.

I assume that a GTX 700 series card is not "entry level", at $250 for a '760? I updated a vanilla GTX 650 for GOP support, and it worked fine. A GTX 660 did not cooperate in that respect at all...
    Thanks for the added info (the more we talk about this, the more I understand). To confirm what you said above, I Emailed EVGA asking which of their products were UEFI GOP compatible and this was their answer, quote: "All 700 series video cards are UEFI compatible out of the box. The GT 640 to 690 require a firmware update prior to being fully compatible". The GIGABYTE tech were not very clear on their answer, quote: "The newer cards should be UEFI for the new series nVIdia or AMD cards". And we know that SAPPHIRE doesn't seem to know what they are talking about. So, again, buyer-be-aware! It's probably wise to sit this one out for a while.

I've done a bit of reading on this issue and this post is the most informative (short, I've articles that are 2-3 pages that didn't have this detail).

Thanks Parsec

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaho View Post
    Thanks for the added info (the more we talk about this, the more I understand). To confirm what you said above, I Emailed EVGA asking which of their products were UEFI GOP compatible and this was their answer, quote: "All 700 series video cards are UEFI compatible out of the box. The GT 640 to 690 require a firmware update prior to being fully compatible". The GIGABYTE tech were not very clear on their answer, quote: "The newer cards should be UEFI for the new series nVIdia or AMD cards". And we know that SAPPHIRE doesn't seem to know what they are talking about. So, again, buyer-be-aware! It's probably wise to sit this one out for a while.
    Thanks for that! Forgot to mention that I got an EVGA GTX 760 that I put in a UEFI booting PC, and it worked fine the first time. So EVGA is giving us the correct information.

The Gigabyte response does not inspire confidence IMO, the "newer cards" (define newer) "should be UEFI for the new series...". That implies that they are using the stock Nvidia VBIOS, but don't really know if it has GOP support.

I was considering a MSI '760 card, so checked their forum and found a UEFI/GOP support thread. MSI support was providing a VBIOS update for their 700 series cards for GOP support, so that implies that the stock Nvidia 700 series VBIOS does not support GOP, given EVGA's 700 series cards support GOP out of the box. I did a quick scan of Nvidia's forum and did not find anything obvious about this, but might have missed it.

So still a mystery in too many cases, but IMO it is safe to assume EVGA GTX 700 series cards support GOP out of the box. We need information about AMD cards and GOP support.

Thanks for that! Forgot to mention that I got an EVGA GTX 760 that I put in a UEFI booting PC, and it worked fine the first time. So EVGA is giving us the correct information.

The Gigabyte response does not inspire confidence IMO, the "newer cards" (define newer) "should be UEFI for the new series...". That implies that they are using the stock Nvidia VBIOS, but don't really know if it has GOP support.

I was considering a MSI '760 card, so checked their forum and found a UEFI/GOP support thread. MSI support was providing a VBIOS update for their 700 series cards for GOP support, so that implies that the stock Nvidia 700 series VBIOS does not support GOP, given EVGA's 700 series cards support GOP out of the box. I did a quick scan of Nvidia's forum and did not find anything obvious about this, but might have missed it.

So still a mystery in too many cases, but IMO it is safe to assume EVGA GTX 700 series cards support GOP out of the box. We need information about AMD cards and GOP support.
    PowerColor is claiming Windows 8 UEFI ready on many of their cards, see here: PowerColor Official Website - Graphics, Cases, Power Supply

Has anyone out there tried one of these?

Teddybehr is offline Member

For those in US and Canada
    If you want to enable fastboot and are not able to because of your graphic Card being not compatible:
    A lot of good deal on Graphic Card with GOP (UEFI compatible)
    Some 7790 at around 80$ and 7770/7750 lower.
    Just be sure to check on manufacturer website if GOP vbios is available.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information