Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-X79-UP4 BETA BIOS Turbo Boost Bug Workaround

Default Re: GA-X79-UP4 BETA BIOS Turbo Boost Bug Workaround

Gotta love that 5.60GHz overclock...lol

Anyone else have success with this?

Still needed for F5e Beta BIOS.

Still needed for the F5 BIOS as well.

Kain is offline Junior Member

This makes me wonder if I should go with ASUS next time around. Do their BIOSes actually do what they are suppose or are they just like GIGABYTE?

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    This makes me wonder if I should go with Asus next time around. Do their BIOSes actually do what they are suppose or are they just like GIGABYTE?
    UEFI is fairly new and it seems the old dogs can't seem to master the newest tricks yet, so they (companies) all have their own unique problems. ASRock almost destroyed my 3930K with a BIOS update. Asus almost destroyed my 7970s with a BIOS update. Both are a pain to get high (5+GHz) stable overclocks on. Gigabyte hasn't released anything that detrimental and seems to be the only one steadily releasing BIOS updates for their current boards. If you inform ASRock or Asus of BIOS problems, they could care less and blame you. Been there done that repeatedly. If you contact Gigabyte support and they confirm it's a BIOS problem, they will fix it.

This work around for an otherwise rock solid BIOS is much better than having BSOD/hardware failures and not understanding why. I got really tired of manually checking everything on my boards (ASRock & Asus) with a multimeter and/or infrared thermometer to find their older BIOS' not functioning properly. I put a Leatherman straight through that ASRock board and gave away the Asus board. I had an EVGA board that would only work with graphics cards and no other PCI-E devices. I owned a lackluster Intel board, right before P4s were EOL. Haven't touch any others. MSI bothers me, because their other earlier products (not MBs) were all considered garbage worldwide. I won't venture in their direction. My first Gigabyte board was a X58A-UD7 and it was rock solid, with only minor things here and there to contend with.

Overall, I'll be sticking with Gigabyte and only recommend them out of product trust.

Kain is offline Junior Member

Thanks. At least that is a little reassuring. I've been using this GA-X79-UD3 since January 2012 and haven't had any real major issues. Do you think GIGABYTE will make a motherboard at the caliber of the ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition? Maybe there is no point now but maybe for the Haswell-E release?

Lastly, what is the difference between the Rev 1.0 and 1.1 of the GA-X79-UD3? Is it just that the Rev 1.1 comes with the Ivy Bridge-E capable BIOS already flashed?

You're welcome. The Asus RIBE is an average X79 board that's more for show, like most RoG gear. You can see here that The UD3, UD7, and A2 came out ahead in quite a few tests against it. It's like buying a Mercedes. Everyone knows BMWs last longer and perform better, but if you have money to burn and something to prove to yourself, you'll get a Mercedes instead...lol I'm sure Gigabyte will have an awesome flagship set of boards to release with the next CPU/chipset release. I bet they're busy working on them right now. I just hope they aren't so colorful...lol

Most revisions are minor tweaks to small things (hardware) that can be compensated for in earlier revisions with BIOS/firmware adjustments. The new revisions have the item(s) replaced and possibly a different BIOS. Most people can't even notice the difference.

xplode is offline Junior Member

The weird thing is that I kind of (I experience different turbo boost related bug) not experience turbo boost bug. When it is idle it sets the multiplier to 12 (1200 MHz CPU Clock), and when it is loaded it sets it to 38 (3800 MHz CPU clock) which is the turbo boost frequency for my CPU. This is done with all settings on auto in BIOS F5. The thing that bothers me is that turbo boost is working in one step, and i believe that with F3u BIOS it had at least 2 or 3 steps. Now multiplier jumps from 12 directly to 38.

I will test how different scenarios and settings and will report back with more information.

If you Disable C3 State Support, C6/C7 State Support, and CPU EIST Function, it should stable out. Setting your Control Panel - Power Options to High Performance will help as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information