Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Secure boot enabled - now system wont POST

Default Secure boot enabled - now system wont POST

System specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H mobo
    i5 4670k CPU
    8GB DDR GSKILL memory
    Geforce 760

anyway, I had been running the system a little over a month and everything was fine. I decided to make the jump to windows 8.1 from windows 7. Did a fresh install of windows 8.1, but noticed there was the little message in the bottom corner of the screen "secure boot not configured correctly". Did some googling and there was a few recommended ways of enabling it. Went into the bios, enabled secure boot and saved the settings and rebooted. System sat there with no monitor signal and would not post.. nothing is happening. Rebooted it, same thing. I cleared the CMOS.. same thing. Pulled the battery and waited 15 minutes - system comes on for about 5 seconds, turns off, and then comes back on and nothing happens - fans are running but no signal to the monitor and keyboard wont light up - its not posting.

I've cleared the CMOS a bunch of times, i've unplugged everything besides the monitor, pulled all the SATA drives, unplugged the video card and tried the integrated HD intel one - no go. I found this thread:

GA-Z87M-D3H not starting up

This guy had the exact same issue and could not ever get it working again.. I dont understand how clearing the CMOS is not fixing the issue. Any ideas?

boe323 is offline Member

Default Re: Secure boot enabled - now system wont POST

you will have to reflash the bios, clearing cmos doesn't clear the secureboot keys, only a reflash will do that.
    A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING WORKS PROPERLY

reflash my bios not enable secure boot state :(

my spec:gigabyte z68P-ud3 rev.2.0 bios Ua6
    cpu:i5-3570
    ram:8gb hiperx genesis
    vga:gtx660
    Attached Images Attached Images Secure boot enabled - now system wont POST-20131126032-jpg 
    Last edited by tibor45; 11-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SimianRob View Post
    System specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H mobo
    i5 4670k CPU
    8GB DDR GSKILL memory
    Geforce 760

anyway, I had been running the system a little over a month and everything was fine. I decided to make the jump to windows 8.1 from windows 7. Did a fresh install of windows 8.1, but noticed there was the little message in the bottom corner of the screen "secure boot not configured correctly". Did some googling and there was a few recommended ways of enabling it. Went into the bios, enabled secure boot and saved the settings and rebooted. System sat there with no monitor signal and would not post.. nothing is happening. Rebooted it, same thing. I cleared the CMOS.. same thing. Pulled the battery and waited 15 minutes - system comes on for about 5 seconds, turns off, and then comes back on and nothing happens - fans are running but no signal to the monitor and keyboard wont light up - its not posting.

I've cleared the CMOS a bunch of times, i've unplugged everything besides the monitor, pulled all the SATA drives, unplugged the video card and tried the integrated HD intel one - no go. I found this thread:

GA-Z87M-D3H not starting up

This guy had the exact same issue and could not ever get it working again.. I dont understand how clearing the CMOS is not fixing the issue. Any ideas?
    OMG has Microsoft caused so much unnecessary grief for people by adding the "Secure boot not configured correctly" message to the Windows 8.1 desktop.

Ignore that message, it does not indicate a problem or real error! You've used your PCs in the past without Secure Boot, why worry about it now?

Secure Boot can only be used if a Windows 7 or 8 installation was configured for true UEFI booting before Windows is installed.

That does not mean simply having the UEFI type firmware (BIOS) in your board. Secure Boot must be enabled (or the CSM option must be disabled) before Windows is installed, and the Windows installation media must be EFI compatible. During installation, let Windows format the target drive (click New), and when complete it must be formatted as GPT with an EFI system partition. The video source of the PC must also be GOP compatible, or you'll get a black screen.

Enabling Secure Boot (or disabling CSM) with a standard (MBR formatted) Windows installation, will cause a failure to boot, and at worst a black screen.

ASRock has added error checking to their UEFI firmware, that will catch some of the configuration errors if Secure Boot is enabled on a non-UEFI booting Windows installation. POST will stop, a message is displayed, and you can go into the UEFI/BIOS and hopefully fix things (disable Secure Boot/enable CSM).

Apparently, Gigabyte does not have any error checking for this situation. I don't have a Gigabyte board capable of UEFI booting, so that is based on the information in the OP of this thread.

SimianRob, can you get into the UEFI/BIOS of your board? I'm surprised that clearing the CMOS does not reset Secure Boot and the security keys, my ASRock board's UEFI does not behave that way. IMO, that is a problem with that Gigabyte UEFI.

Doesn't your board have the dual BIOS feature? It should given what I have read. Check your manual on how to restore your BIOS from the backup BIOS chip, that would be the easiest way to fix your problem.

Otherwise, if you are (apparently) stuck with Secure Boot enabled after a BIOS restore, try again by removing your video card, and use the on-CPU graphics outputs on the I/O panel. Clear the CMOS again after removing the video card, be sure to do this. If you can then get a display and get into the UEFI, disable Secure Boot, save and quit, and restart back into the UEFI again. Check your boot order, and fix any other UEFI settings you need.

You could get a replacement BIOS chip, which would be starting over again fresh.

Wow, that's a lot of trouble.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It's a lot of trouble caused by what seems to be an innocent setting (Secure Boot), which is not documented appropriately at all.

Why Microsoft is apparently pushing the use of Secure Boot by displaying that message, but not offering any explanation on its usage, is beyond me.

I imagine they do explain it if you search for it, but the message implies you can simply enable Secure Boot and all will be fine. If it only were that simple.

I've done a little reading about it and I have yet understood the benefit of having it.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Thread Information