Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Default Re: Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    Please give me ONE example of what it does.
    Except for these copypastes from Intel site, part of vpro blabla, remote access blabla, numerous things that use it blabla... I have NEVER EVER seen anyone explain what it actually does and what functionality does it add to a desktop board that's needed.
    the "copy/paste" you refer to tells you exactly what it does... straight from intel. Or are you asking for the idiot proof version?

urbanman2004 is offline Junior Member

Thanks. This helped me figure out what drivers were missing from a Windows Vista install I was updating
    Intel Core i7-4770K (De-lidded) | EVGA Z87 FTW (ATX) | My case: Modified Apple Powermac G5
    Silverstone SST-ST1200-G Evolution Strider Gold 1200W | Noctua NH-U12S | ASUS BW-12B1ST
    OCZ Vertex 4 512GB | Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC
    Patriot Dual Bay 2.5" SATA 3.5" drive bay (for SSD) | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2400MHz

* i7-980X * EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR * Cosair Vengeance 16GB (3X4GB) DDR3 1600MHZ
    * EVGA GeForce GTX 480 SuperClocked 2GB * Western Digital 1 TB VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ (Mac OS X 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.3)
    * Western Digital 600 GB VelociRaptor (Windows 8.1.1) * Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
    * LG WH10LS30 10X SATA Blu-ray Burner * EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 * Corsair H100

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Octopuss,

Your forum profile is set up so that you can't receive private messages.

Your location "in the ass" is offensive and not permitted in the forum.

You are now banned from the forum for 30 days.

If you use offensive language in the future, you will be permanently banned from the forum.

Flaming, spamming and inappropriate language is not permitted.

Forum Moderator
    This was unnecessary and petty.

Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    the "copy/paste" you refer to tells you exactly what it does... straight from intel. Or are you asking for the idiot proof version?
    I think what he's asking for is specifics, which is the one thing everyone seems to be avoiding. In other words, lets say I want to take advantage of the remote access capabilities of the IME, exactly what software would I need to get in order to do that? More specifically, give me a name of the software package. Not just "any this or that" or other vague responses. Because lets face it, the information on intel's site speaks in abstractions. It tells you general conceptual tasks that could be accomplished, but not real roadmap as to how to accomplish those tasks. Granted, such a roadmap is probably beyond the scope of intel's focus when advertising their product, but on this forum it shouldn't be.

So how about those specifics. Let's say I want to remote manage my PC in the other room that has intel's ME on it, what software package should I go download to do it? Or if the software is already built in to Windows 7/8, how do I access that software from the start menu?

about the only thing of interest (but not for my newest desktop build... i'm OCing) is the alleged increased energy efficiency. good for a Haswell+ laptop with Win 8, it would seem.

the rest seems pointless (for my current build) unless there's a free VNC-like functionality, which it doesn't seem to indiciate there is.

edit: it appears if you have AMT (vPRO needed?), Intel has a proprietary VNC server that'll even run Out Of Band. one negative is that it enables/allows Protected Audio/Video Pathway to be used.

VNC would have been nice, tho the need for what sounds like a paid client doesn't. however, i only have a Haswell Pentium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_...ent_Technology
    Last edited by plonk420; 03-14-2015 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lexus View Post
    I think what he's asking for is specifics, which is the one thing everyone seems to be avoiding. In other words, lets say I want to take advantage of the remote access capabilities of the IME, exactly what software would I need to get in order to do that? More specifically, give me a name of the software package. Not just "any this or that" or other vague responses. Because lets face it, the information on intel's site speaks in abstractions. It tells you general conceptual tasks that could be accomplished, but not real roadmap as to how to accomplish those tasks. Granted, such a roadmap is probably beyond the scope of intel's focus when advertising their product, but on this forum it shouldn't be.

So how about those specifics. Let's say I want to remote manage my PC in the other room that has intel's ME on it, what software package should I go download to do it? Or if the software is already built in to Windows 7/8, how do I access that software from the start menu?
    per Wikipedia, "VNC Viewer Plus" can connect to what sounds like a free but proprietary VNC server built into the software. not sure how fast/color accurate it is, tho.

yeah, the lack of specifics was annoying. and a quick google search wasn't of much help, either. Intel's top result only referred to what sounded like something else ("Intel® System Management Software is a set of management applications for Intel® Server Products that...")

I've never installed the driver for this and I'm all good and stable.
    Gigabyte z87x-ud3h
    Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
    Gigabyte 610W
    Onboard sound

Here is the simple reason Intel MEI is offered.
    That intel vPro sticker on the front of the PC, needed to help sell the computer.

It was installed as a Dell download, one of 3 chipset drivers, named Intel AMT HECI
    The huge unwanted program is actually a 2MB download for 32-bit, 64-bit Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
    I could set up Remote Management between my P4 server and C2D desktop, just to use one monitor for both.
    Last edited by Al Breeck; 07-19-2015 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post

Posted by Tom Carpenter
    Intel Management Engine Interface or IMEI is one of the main components of the VPRO Remote Access technology by Intel. VPRO is an umbrella term that refers to a collection of several computer hardware technologies that help in managing the PCs. These technologies provide security features and enable remote accessing to the PC including the management, monitoring and maintenance irrespective of the operating system state and PC power state as well. IMEI manages the processor’s input/output operations.

What exactly is IMEI?
    Most of the people still remain confused with the term Intel Management Engine Interface as they have little knowledge of the computer hardware. So, here is a short definition of IMEI. Basically, it is an interface that uses the Intel ME hardware features to enable an interaction between high- and low-level hardware systems in a system. With this Intel feature, the administrators can now handle the tasks without intervention of the human beings. This has simplified various tasks in a computer system.
    Is IMEI required in all systems?

Intel Management Engine Interface allows you to work in both low as well as high level hardware environments. You can carry out various configuration tasks using this interface system. Also, some applications like remote access require connection between low and high levels of hardware in the board. For this IMEI is must.

Setting up the Management Engine (ME)
    Management engine is a low power, small computer sub-system that is built into many chipset based platforms of the processors. For utilising the Management Engine interface, you are required to setup the Intel’s ME by activating it successfully in compatible BIOS system of the PCs. Once the Management Engine is enabled in the system, you get access to different BIOS functions. For altering any existing changes in the BIOS system, you need to configure an initial password for the administrator when you enter the ME BIOS interface for the very first time.

With the help of ME, one can easily turn ON Intel’s active management technology already existing on the system. The power management feature of this technology saves overhead energy that is not in use. Management Engine shuts down after a definite interval of time when the interface is no longer active. This allows the systems to sleep thus saving power when not in use.

Tasks performed by the Management Engine
    The main component of Management Engine interface, ME performs a number of tasks in conditions when the system is running or in sleep mode. It also supports several tasks during the boot process. This sub-system is required for proper functioning and maximum efficiency of the PC. The interface checks whether the system is working properly or not while communicating with the operating system of PC.

Use of IMEI drivers
    It is well known that the Intel Management Engine Interface enables effectual communication between the Intel Management Engine firmware and the host operating system. The Driver installs the hardware required for proper functioning of interface. Intel Management Engine interface driver support is different for different operating systems.
    Wow! That's the most amount of words with the least amount of information I've ever seen.. Thanks for the info though..

Interesting thread here. A lot of dancing around and not a lot of information.

Here is all you should really need to know about this. I will let you find out how to use search engines to find the software for yourselves.

Intel® AMT (Active Management Technology) is a remote control technology, which is integrated into the hardware component of PC based on Intel® vPro™ platform. Traditional remote control solutions could control a computer only if the computer's operating system was running and configured. Intel® AMT (Active Management Technology) removes this limitation and allows the control of a remote computer that is turned off, has no operating system installed or if its operating system hangs. Such functionality is provided by a special add-on processor on the motherboard that can handle incoming network requests for many useful tasks. Even if the computer is turned off, the add-on processor will work on stand-by power provided the computer's power cord is plugged in.

Really simple. You can remote connect to a computer even if it doesn´t have an OS or can even be turned off. Then you can configure and install the OS and set the computer up for use without getting out of your chair. The target computer can be in the next room on the local LAN or half way around the world.

Have fun searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lexus View Post
    This was unnecessary and petty.
    Tell me about it. The mod couldn't find anything else to pin him on, so picked him up on some lame technicality. All because he was trying to find out what this dubious software actually does.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information