Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Default Re: Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Wow, is there a doubt in anyone's mind as to what IME is for? Let's see:

- IME has been installed on all Intel chipsets since 2008;
    - user has no control over it;
    - it's a standalone Minix-based system that can take control of the system at the lowest level;
    - it cannot be turned off by user;
    - tech specs are not publicly available.

Also have a look here: "[IME] is a parallel operating system running on an isolated chip, but with access to your PCís hardware. It runs when your computer is asleep, while itís booting up, and while your operating system is running. It has full access to your system hardware, including your system memory, the contents of your display, keyboard input, and even the network... Itís a little black box, and only Intel knows exactly whatís inside."

Well, if it's not a backdoor then I would say that it's a kill-switch for users who... don't behave.

hmidas is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Quote Originally Posted by lenix View Post
    Hello,

I noticed on my new motherboard there is a device in device manager with an exclamation mark and obviously this is related to the "Intel Management Engine Interface" drivers gigabyte offers.

I researched about this a lot, and it's of no use to me, my question is, is it needed? What is the recommendation on this? There is no option to disable this in bios, so I reckon it's necessary?

Thanks,
    I have an asus vivobook/zenbook laptop. and the computer goes to sleep and refuses to wake up no matter what keys you press. disabling this management engine in device manager fixed that problem.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information